Zip Lining

Me. Flying over the jungle.

Yes. It’s me. Flying over the jungle like Tarzan. A clumsy, terrified Tarzan, to be sure. A Tarzan shouting, “Oh sh*t!” rather than “Aiyeeaiyeeaiyeeeeee!” or whatever he shouted as he swung from his vines. But today, Lorri and I did what we promised ourselves we would do at least once on this trip despite any quibbles and cowardice. We went zip lining.

It was harder for Lorri because we had to climb for 45 minutes to get to the top of the mountain to start the course. Aside from just getting over the effects of drinking some Don’t-Drink-the-Water, she has health problems that made it a struggle. Lucky for me, my dogs have kept me in good shape so I enjoyed the climb. For Lorri-the-Brave, it was an act of endurance.

But holy cats, the downward journey was heart-stopping. We were both scared out of our wits the entire time. But so proud of ourselves afterwards.

And here’s Lorri, zipping down the steepest and most heart-dropping leg of the course — with rocks and raging water below (though unfortunately you can’t see those in the pic).

L zip-lining

1. Kent McManigal
    Kent McManigal February 28, 2010 5:04 pm

What, no “Indiana Jones” hat? I’m disappointed! One can not be an adventurer without a hat, can one?

I’m thinking you are braver than me. Heights, man-made elevations, and speed don’t seem like a good combination to my gut. It tingles even now.

Joel February 28, 2010 9:36 pm

I just want to know how you stop that crazy thing.

3. L2
    L2 March 1, 2010 11:58 am

Look at you go! What an incredible trip. I would have trouble on a zip line; I’m horribly afraid of heights. The adventure, the view…. I think that might persuade me to give it a try.

4. Ellendra
    Ellendra March 2, 2010 1:20 pm

Makes me wish my shoulders hadn’t given out on me, that looks like fun!!

5. GaurdDuck
    GaurdDuck March 3, 2010 7:35 pm

I am also afraid of heights, I don’t think I could have done that unless I was being pursued by a mob of angry village people.

Claire March 4, 2010 5:21 am

Re: Being afraid of heights. OMG, me too! But I’ll tell you … when you’re zip-lining, you’re scarcely aware of the rocks, rapids, vast depths, and possibly man-eating creatures below you. The main preoccupation is with the tree trunks in front of you.

I would like to zip-line again, just so I could come to feel more confident about my position on the wire and therefore more free to look around and down at the scenery.

7. Kent McManigal
    Kent McManigal March 4, 2010 9:01 am

GDuck- I didn’t know the Village People ever got angry.