Friday miscellany

You’ve probably already spotted the “lite” blogging this week. Unfortunately, expect the same for the next week-plus. We’re about to begin a serious building project here at Last-Chance Gulch and for roughly 10 days, it’ll be nothing but work and visitors around here. (Most of the visitors will be helping in some way with construction, bless their hearts; but we’ll all be busy.) And wouldn’t you know it, a surprise deadline came up at the same time. So much for my peaceful hermitude.

If I can blog along, the way, I surely will. But don’t hold me up to really high expectations, okay? In the meantime, here’s some miscellany to keep you going:

• Oh, so that’s what SEC regulators were doing while Wall Streeters were getting away with economic murder! Well, given typical government justice and effectiveness, I suppose it’s better than, you know, actually regulating. (Oh yeah … and the “solution” to this problem will be … wait for it … more regulation and bigger budgets for the SEC. Of course.)
  • “Embracing a Life of Solitude.” Amazing, though, how many of these hermits have significant others.
  • Yes, that new Arizona immigration bill really is a bad idea for freedom. I’m guessing the governor will sign it, though. (She did.)
  • Top Ten Pelosisms. The woman’s a master of the Bushian language-mangle, as well as being a majorly scary b-word. (Thank you, Charles, for the link.)
  • I mentioned the other day that I feel a book coming on. You guys made interesting suggestions and sparked some good thinking. Where things stand right now: I still feel a book coming on, but my dread of being asked to do interviews and having to explain to a bunch more people why they shouldn’t look to any damn writer (or anybody else) as a freedom guru is so depressing I don’t ever want to face it again. If only I could just write a book, then let it find its way in the world on its own merits while I went on with my life, undisturbed. Now that would be a very okay thing.
  • This post coincidentally mentions both Wall Street regulation (darling cause of liberal-progressives) and illegal immigration (darling cause of conservatives). Both those issues smack me in the face with what is (IMHO), one of the hugest causes of the loss of freedom: In the belief that “government must DO SOMETHING about THAT,” people will support the most egregious sort of legislation — without reading it, without understanding it, without submitting it to either the Bill of Rights test or the plain old smell test, without a clue about its long-term ramifications. “We have to regulate Wall Street!” “We must DO SOMETHING about the rising cost of health care!” “We must DO SOMETHING about the drug problem!” “DO SOMETHING about illegal immigrants!” Etc., etc. so on, ad infinitum, world without end, amen. And thus, both right and left serve as enablers to the ruthless, scamming, lying, sometimes-just-downright-stupid criminal state. Because, of course, DOING SOMETHING, always means more power and money to government and more opportunities for sneaking both corporatism and police-statism into every new law. Sigh. As the Mogambo says, “We’re so frreaking doomed.”

But individually we can still kick statist butt. Must never forget that …

• Last-minute add-on: Bovard does it again with his take on a Tea Party rally he attended. Perfect example of why freedom always fails in groups and institutions despite the best intentions in the world.

Pat April 23, 2010 8:15 am

“…my dread of being asked to do interviews and having to explain to a bunch more people why they shouldn’t look to any damn writer (or anybody else) as a freedom guru is so depressing I don’t ever want to face it again. If only I could just write a book, then let it find its way in the world on its own merits while I went on with my life, undisturbed.”

You know, some very notable authors have refused interviews, isolated themselves from the public and/or the media, walked out on interviewers who asked questions they were specifically warned against, and refused to explain themselves beyond what was in their books.

You don’t have to accept interviews except those you want), and you don’t have to explain anything, except possibly ONE cautionary explanation of your intention, written in Frontispiece or Introduction. People will always misconstrue what is said, *especially if they don’t want to hear it,* and there’s nothing you can do about that.

I personally would like to see the book written, as a summation of what freedom has to offer, and how to get there; BUT… as one who’s also inclined to hermitizng (v.), I can understand the reluctance. Your life is your own, Claire; get on with it any way that suits you.

2. WTF
    WTF April 24, 2010 6:39 am

WTF, Claire?

Bovard, while I take his point, spends upwards of 70% of his time whining about Bushitler. Good grief.

Mark Steyn takes this him to the woodshed.

If I needed another chiding, followed by some “but he did it FIRST”, I’d own a television.

I’m not sure what you see in that guy.

Claire April 24, 2010 2:39 pm

WTF, I guess I’m not sure what you don’t see in Bovard. I see a sharp observer, a witty writer, and a sincere libertarian.

I also see a Tea Party that is sadly co-opted by statists. What Jim saw at that rally is becoming all to typical. To wit: http://www.eastvalleytribune.com/story/152826.

4. WTF
    WTF April 24, 2010 7:52 pm

I’ll have to rely on you that he’s sincere — the feeling I got was “needlessly devisive”. Sure, tea parties are being co-opted by the shambling remains of the GOP. But anyone foolish enough to fall for that, or that doesn’t see it – wasn’t on our side of the fence to begin with.

I guess, at bottom, I’m tired of hearing “where were you 8 years ago?” — well, right here, actually — against this wall when all this showed up. I guess as long as it’s marked as an opinion piece, I should hang my damn hackles up.

Claire April 24, 2010 8:23 pm

WTF,

“At the RTC rally, the call was: anyone that’s fled an oppressive regime, come join us – we need to make sure what you fled doesn’t happen here. We didn’t care where you stood on whatever particulars – we can quibble over all that garbage AFTER WE WIN.”

A great big AMEN to that! Thank you.

As to Jim Bovard, we can agree to disagree. Although I’ve met Jim in person only once, he and I have corresponded for years and bounced writer-ideas off each other. He’s a truly delightful person with a great sense of humor about himself and far less of an ego than most writers have. So I’m extra prejudiced in his favor — although I would admire his writing and his excellent research skills even if I didn’t know him.

As to hackles … no worries. You’re entitled to hackle all you want. 🙂

6. Winston
    Winston April 24, 2010 9:40 pm

I just clicked that link about the SEC regulators and I must say JESUS H CHRIST ON A POGOSTICK THAT’S A LOT OF PR0N!

I can’t really say much since I’m young and oafish and spend my fair share of time with uuhh…that. But OMFG 16,000 times in a month? Filling up your entire hard drive and having to resort to hiding away massive stacks of DVD burned downloads? That’s not just “getting lonely” a couple times a day…

I’m just sayin, If you’re gonna waste that much time break it up between flash games and blog reading. Your wrists will thank you.

Pat April 25, 2010 9:48 am

This comes today courtesy of http://theultimateanswertokings.blogspot.com/

“Listen to me, because this is very important. I’m no great guru, but I do know this: Liberty isn’t about countries. It isn’t about groups, or parties, or ideologies. Liberty is about people, it’s about individuals. You either love liberty for everybody, or you don’t love liberty. Because liberty is not a privilege bestowed upon the blessed few who were born in the “Land of the Free.” Liberty is a natural right. You were born with the right to your own individual liberty, and so was that brown guy in the dirty jeans.”

8. Mike
    Mike April 25, 2010 10:39 am

You could go the Kindle/Smashwords route and just publish yourself as an ebook. Joe Konrath seems to be doing OK (and a few others too), in fact he says he makes more from ebooks than from the print versions.

You can check his blog out at: http://jakonrath.blogspot.com/ (it’s interesting reading for any writers out there).

If I can ever muster enough brain cells to formulate one coherent sentence I may be tempted to give it a go myself. He’s selling close on 200 copies a day (of all his books on Kindle).

And no, I’m not his agent, I’m just poor enough to be jealous.