Tuesday night, fueled by coffee

Fueled by coffee (which I rarely drink, being a tea wuss), I just spent the evening not working on the Paladin book and am now about to get back to those almost-final polishings.

Meantime I enjoyed an excellent noir thriller which is as much a meditation on love, loss, regret, memory, and obsession as it is a murder mystery. The Secret in Their Eyes. It won this year’s Best Foreign-Language Picture Oscar — one of the few times I think I might agree with the Academy voters on a foreign film (they usually vote too politically correct or two just-plain-sappy for me in that category). A good evening. A good break.

Speaking of good. If you didn’t follow the link that -S left in last night’s comments section, you really gotta see this strange, precise, and hysterically doggy music video by the group Ok Go. Out two days and nearly 2,000,000 views. Whoo. Never heard of ’em until -S posted the link. Now I’m hooked. Almost as good — though lacking the crucial element of dogs — is this one. Fifty-two million views.

And some stuff I collected while goofing off avoiding work deeply pondering the editing and writing tasks ahead of me:

• So you go looking for your birth mother and discover that she is a bearded lady in a circus. And a hermaphrodite. You handle the news with aplomb. Good for you.
  • Net neutrality. I know the gospel sez we’re agin’ it because it’s government regulation of the Internet in the name of equal access. I can see that. But I also see the other argument that if corporations have their way and create different levels and priorities for various kinds of traffic, us little guys (not to mention all our glorious dissent and rowdy information exchange) will be pushed into the shadows again and the Internet will become a quasi-TV-like, top-down, we-feed-you-what-we-want-you-to-hear … well, I can see it getting ugly. While poking around Ok Go’s site, I found this Washington Post op-ed by one of the band members, giving a lucid argument on the pro-net neutrality side. Not that I agree. But it’s a thoughtful look at a complex issue.
  • Mona Charen. I don’t usually agree with her, or even read her very often. But I think she’s spot on in her analysis of how the Obama Dems misinterpreted their moment.
  • Since we’re dealing with matters of such vast importance today, you might also be stunned — simply stunned — to learn that Wednesday is not only the first day of National Dog Week. It’s also Elephant Appreciation Day. So go hug an elephant. Or a Republican. Er … on second thought, maybe not.

That’s it. I’m tired. Back to work since the coffee sez no sleeping for the next couple of hours. But it is so past my bedtime …

1. Kent McManigal
    Kent McManigal September 21, 2010 9:59 pm

When I read “a meditation on love, loss, regret, memory, and obsession” I was sure you were reading about my life. But I haven’t written that book yet (and it isn’t likely I ever will!).

2. Carl Bussjaeger
    Carl Bussjaeger September 22, 2010 6:07 am

Methinks someone forgot to close a [strike] tag. Lessee…

3. Carl Bussjaeger
    Carl Bussjaeger September 22, 2010 6:08 am

Hmmm

Claire September 22, 2010 6:19 am

Ah, Kent. I hear ya. At least be glad you don’t have a murder mystery to add to the travails of your life.

Carl, good to see you and thanks for the catch! My browser apparently “forgave” my HTML goof, so I didn’t see whatever you saw. But it’s fixed now … I hope.

5. Carl Bussjaeger
    Carl Bussjaeger September 22, 2010 10:15 am

Hi, Claire. I’m using Firefox 3.6.x in Vista (don’t ask; but there is a reason that Ubuntu 10.04 CDROM is uninstalled). It continued the strike-out into your unordered list. No big deal. I like that FF inteprets HTML very literally since I use it to proof my own pages.

BTW, you reviewed Net Assets ‘way back when. Would you be interested in reviewing the latest novel, Bargaining Position? If so, drop me a line and I’ll get it to you.

6. Mike
    Mike September 23, 2010 9:53 am

A sheer cheek comment really, totally off topic but Arthur Silber has surfaced after a month of down time and could use a little help if anyone has few coppers to spare:

If you’ve never read him go and enjoy his dissection of the American elite’s BS – he’s almost as good as Claire.

Claire September 23, 2010 11:28 am

Mike, that kind of sheer cheek is always appropriate. What a hellish experience for him to be going through.

Claire September 23, 2010 11:28 am

Carl, I’d love to see it. Will email you.

Claire September 23, 2010 3:50 pm

UnReconstructed — No, hadn’t seen it. OMG, that’s amazing. I wonder how many times it didn’t work before they got that one big take? Can you imagine?

The music in all those videos is all right. But the videos themselves … wow. And besides that, OK Go supports dog rescue (okgo.net/dogs). How can anybody not love ’em?