Thursday miscellany

Collected stuff:

• I want to see this when it hits YouTube. (NY Times free subscription link.)
  • Juan Williams was — was — one of the best on NPR.
  • Via LewRockwell.com (see, I credit you guys, even if you don’t credit me), the clearest explanation you’re ever likely to get about how the foreclosure mess developed. And — surprise, surprise! — government’s in it every step of the way.
  • I’m glad to see that the actions of this principled and gutsy pilot have left the ghetto of political blogs and are hitting the mainstream. May he start a movement.
  • Via Rational Review News and David Codrea, the sad tale of a gun owner who bent over backwards to do everything legally and got screwed anyhow.
  • Two things about this news: Why should an 11 year old be pressured to “shake her booty”? And why should it be national news when she refuses?
  • News you can use: My Two Dollars is giving away what sounds like a pretty good book on thrifty living. The method for winning it is pretty cool, in itself.

Finally another word about book orders: It’s turning out that a lot of my order confirmations ended up in people’s spam filters. So if you’re missing your confirmation, please check spam. (I’m not spamming you; really I’m not.)

1. bumperwack
    bumperwack October 21, 2010 12:12 pm

hmm…think juan will begin to see the light?….naw, with just a little perserverance he can comfortably maintain his delusion………

2. Ellendra
    Ellendra October 21, 2010 7:43 pm

I’m wondering why that cheer is such a “crowd pleaser” as said by the coach. Do that many people really enjoy watching the shaking butt of a schoolkid?

3. Scott
    Scott October 22, 2010 9:18 am

I take it judges in New Jersey can’t be canned for incompetence? He just plain got railroaded into jail. From what I’ve been told from friends who travel to trade shows a lot, the entire Northeast is fairly anal about what they percieve to be “weapons”-including two-inch keychain pocketknives and multitools. It’s a strange planet.

4. bumperwack
    bumperwack October 22, 2010 10:27 am

I like “the jury practically begged the judge”…they should have TOLD the “judge”…or simply found the man not guilty

5. harry
    harry October 22, 2010 4:59 pm

Item #4: The purpose of the TSA is not to make the public safer; it is to condition people to instantly obeying arbitrary, capricious and contradictory orders given by ANYONE in uniform.

Item #5: At least when the Redcoats came to seize our guns they made it easier to resist–and it cost King George the colonies. These tyrants are making it harder by hiding behing the image of law.

Item #6: Just one more instance of the sexualization of America’s children. Earlier there were “Toddlers and Tiaras” with the most glaring example being JonBenet Ramsey. Now the sickness is spreading more mainstream.

God help us and our country.

6. naturegirl
    naturegirl October 24, 2010 1:33 am

Claire, I have spent 9 years handling online merch orders ~ there are certain words in the subject line that will trigger an email to go into spam mode…..If you change the subject to read as something more “friendly” sounding, all that will stop….It’s hard to pin point all of them, cuz each one has it’s picky idiosyncrasies, but I learned to not use “order”, “confirmation”, and sometimes even “news” would set it off…..

Hope that helps a little….