“It” and other matters

A while back we talked about “it” — The Day, The Moment, the trigger event, the one unmistakable signal that the house of cards is really, truly commencing to fall. Will there ever be such a moment? If so, will we recognize it when it happens or only spot it in retrospect? Or will there be no “it” — just be a dreary slide?

Jim B. points out that Rome didn’t collapse in a day. Ellendra asks, apropos of nothing and everything whether politicians joking (?) about suspending elections might qualify as a sign.

I don’t know whether we’ll ever see an “it.” But one thing you can be sure of; the country you live in in wildly overgoverned to the edge of collapse when everything hangs on political whim. When markets soar and collapse more on the word of politicians and policy-makers than on anything to do with underlying reality. When states vie for attention by exaggerating their political importance. When employers don’t hire workers because they can’t calculate what the latest regulatory nightmare is going to cost.

I’m pretty sure it was like that in the old Soviet Union. Every decision political.

Keep your powder dry and your dried lentil recipes handy. And be patient.

Now on to other, miscellaneous matters:

1. JG
    JG September 29, 2011 5:35 am

I don’t think there is a single “it” moment. The regression into serfdom and slavery is not designed that way. I think it is a progression of events which alone are not enough to be “it” moments but put together become disasterous. One footstep is not much, but enough footsteps chained together are a death march.

2. water lily
    water lily September 29, 2011 8:32 am

I don’t think that there will be a “moment,” either. It’s a slow slide. Look at how much we’ve “slid” since 911. Sliding into more war, reduced quality of life/standard of living is more feasible, imo. Since the Y2K thing, we’ve grown jaded about that “big moment.”

I hope I don’t have to resort to eating a diet of rice and beans any time soon. We feel much better on a Primal diet. 🙂

Julia Child was very cool. Especially when compared to those celebrity “chefs” on Food Network, who are just shills for big Agri.

3. Scott
    Scott September 29, 2011 9:16 am

Most societies just rust out slowly starting on the inside-there’s seldom a single “it” event. With that said, it’s possible a lot of little things could converge at the same time to appear as if it was a single event.
    I think we are slowly rusting out,and are just learning to deal with the rust holes. Most political “fixes” are the equivalent of shoving an old T-shirt in a rust hole and calling it a wonderful repair job.
    This computer wouldn’t link to the Firefly bit…censoring Firefly? How? You wouldn’t have a show left…
    Water Lily has it right-look how far we’ve slid in a short period of time,and what’s really scary is the number of people who apparently think the slide is a good idea.

4. Steve Harris
    Steve Harris September 29, 2011 11:07 am

I agree that ‘It’ can’t be pinned down as it happens. Some action might be picked by future historians as the tipping point. Maybe we have tipped. After all if I jump off a high cliff, it feels fine on the way down. The impact isn’t so hot. Maybe 9/11 and our mad response to it. Maybe Milton Friedman’s ideas and their acceptance will get the blame. Personally, I want Geitner to be part of it simply because I don’t like him. He seems the ultimate sort who believes his fecal products smell sweeter than roses.

As far as Anonymous goes I’m cautiously optimistic. Total control requires keeping secrets. They are really screwing with this idea and I salute them. I’ve known about 4chan and /b/ for years but they just seemed to malevolent trolls. Somewhere along the way they put their powers to use. Tyranny needs the Night and Fog to keep control. Bad things happens and everybody is afraid to even ask ‘why’? I hope they can stay nimble and ahead of the man.

Steve

5. Curt S
    Curt S September 29, 2011 11:17 am

Suspend elections??????!!! yeah right. What a great way to bring in a totalitarian gov’t.! Not sure if “It” will be that slow a slide. Lessee, Cops out of control, Cities and states going bust as we speak, The economy is well….let’s be honest and say there is NO economy. All it would take is for some major cataclism to happen and that will put things into a crash dive.

MamaLiberty September 29, 2011 2:13 pm

Elections are the relief valve, the myth that keeps so many people thinking that their opinions matter to anyone but themselves.

Or, as one bright boy put it recently… elections are the grease for the anal probes used by our benevolent overlords.

So, it is highly unlikely that any of them will be so monumentally stupid as to think they can remove either the placebo or the lube…

But it would certainly stir things up!!

7. EN
    EN September 29, 2011 2:37 pm

“elections are the grease for the anal probes used by our benevolent overlords.”

I’m going to steal that.

I’m not longer so sure that their won’t be a single tipping point. For years I’ve subscribed to the theory of slow collapse. However, too much is happening too fast, much faster than the fixes. Eventually someone will hit the wrong button and the error will be catastrophic. I’m hoping for slow rust but preparing for inelegant catastrophe.

8. naturegirl
    naturegirl September 29, 2011 7:46 pm

I generally picture a freight train….it began to gain speed and roll along recklessly for a long time before it actually went off the rails and is now skidding along in the dirt along side the tracks…..so far the train’s been big enough to mow down trees in the way but ya never know when or if a big enough tree just doesn’t move and the train smashes to a halt…..

And, I hate mice, I really do…..I was hoping for the usual outcome of that situation……..

9. clark
    clark September 29, 2011 7:57 pm

CW wrote, “will we recognize it when it happens or only spot it in retrospect?”

From The Daily Bell:

… “Here at DB,… We’ve been pointing out consistently that the dollar reserve system actually DIED in 2008 when central banks around the world pumped something like US$20-$50 TRILLION (no one really knows) into the markets worldwide to avoid a “liquidity crisis.”

Nobody talks about that event these days. But you can’t have an economy that needs a US$50 trillion fix. If the economy needs a bailout of that proportion, it isn’t working. And it’s not. It’s dead. All the big banks and securities firms, all the big corporations and world-spanning multinationals – they all would be out of business now if central banks hadn’t provided trillions and trillions. They’d be finished. Kaput. Actually, in a lot of ways they are. The pricing mechanism establishing their value has been short circuited by all the money central banks have poured into the market.

So it’s not business as usual, even if planners, investment advisors, bankers and economists say that it is.” …

I bought an Atlanta Stove Works Midget No.8 cast iron stove at an estate sale. I can’t find any info online about it, what its main purpose was. Do you know anything about them by chance?

10. clark
    clark September 29, 2011 8:06 pm

For a long time I thought of it as a train wreck too, a slow motion one. The metaphor didn’t play out right though.

I came across this and thought it was a better analogy:

The Yellow Fever Economy

… “Like someone alone at midnight hearing approaching footfalls on the stairway, Memphis waited while the disease came nearer. On August 9 word came of yellow fever in Grenada, Mississippi, only a hundred miles to the south. But boosterism whistled brightly. “Keep cool!” said the Memphis Daily Appeal four days later. “Avoid patent medicines and bad whiskey! Go about your business as usual; be cheerful, and laugh as much as possible.”

… On August 13, the first yellow fever death was reported. The boosters stopped boosting. They ran. So did 25,000 others.” …

11. Matt
    Matt September 30, 2011 8:16 am

Those who imagine themselves to be in charge don’t want an “it” moment. I’m surprised they haven’t yanked that crazy woman who started spouting off about cancelling the elections into some secret dungeon somewhere…that would be an “it” moment for WAY too many people. The .gov is well aware that _we_ have most of the guns.

They’re not going to give us an “it” moment if they can at all help it. They know full well that they owe their lives to the infamous quote (you know the one…the one that’ll probably end up on Our Beloved Hostess’ tombstone) remaining true for most of the populace.

If there’s a recognizable “it” moment, it’s far too likely for their taste that ordinary Americans will take to the streets and start shooting. Much simpler, and ever so much safer, to steal the country gradually.

12. EN
    EN September 30, 2011 11:56 am

Here’s an “IT” moment from a friend of mine in Greece. They’ve just cut her private company salary by 10 percent, or 200 Euros a month. Now they’ve enacted a retroactive tax that will cost her another 700 Euros in November. Bottom line is her 2000 Euro a month salary will be 900 Euros in November for her family of 4. Merry F*&#ing Christmas!!!

13. Ellendra
    Ellendra September 30, 2011 4:20 pm

Maybe referring to “it” as a triggering event is misleading, because in order to have that kind of effect, “it” would have to be the combination of several factors over a period of time. Even the crash of 1929 had multiple contributing factors.

Referring to “it” as the “one unmistakable signal” seems to describe it better, at least to me 🙂 “It” is that headline that twists deep in your gut, saying “Time to go, this can’t be fixed anymore.”

For me, there were several times in the last 2 years when that happened, unfortunately I’m still dealing with enough physical and financial impairments that I’m having trouble doing what I know needs done. I wanted my house built and my homestead running by the time those hit, but I’m still just trying to get my house built.

14. Just Waiting
    Just Waiting October 2, 2011 2:41 pm

I think the “it” moment has come!!!

It began two weeks ago with the Occupy Wall St movement in NYC and is spreading.

15. clark
    clark October 2, 2011 6:24 pm

Perhaps I wasn’t clear enough, The “it” moment already happened.

“…the dollar reserve system actually DIED in 2008 when central banks around the world pumped something like US$20-$50 TRILLION (no one really knows) into the markets worldwide to avoid a “liquidity crisis.”…”

All that is occurring now is a realization and reactions to the “it” moment that has already passed by, imho.

The Occupy Wall Street People are, for the most part, clueless and manipulated marionettes.

…”My guess is that most of the protesters are against “profit” and fail to realize that profit is the fuel that keeps an economy growing. They fail to realize that the real problem is not profit (and loss)but that the government protects the incompetent banksters from losses.”…

16. wrm
    wrm October 12, 2011 7:40 am

This is something I’ve been thinking about for the past few weeks, kinda.

TEOTWAWKI is either very likely to never happen, or is happening every day and we don’t notice — depending on your definition.

A meteorite striking the earth or someone leaning on the Big Red Button is TEOTWAWKI, and the chances of even the well-prepared to survive that is… slim. Some people will survive, and those who survive would most likely have been well-prepared, but a lot of well-prepared people won’t survive.

The more likely EOTWAWKI is something like fiscal collapse. Happened in Zimbabwe not that long ago and… people adapted. If you take someone from Zimbabwe-twenty-years-ago and dumped him in Zimbabwe-today, it’s definitely TEOTWAWKI territory.

But people adapt.

Which basically means that there is no single point when “it” happens, it happens all the time.

Looking back, you can say that something was caused by something else, but that in turn was caused by something else and so forth and so on.

Although they should have shot Mugabe the moment he took that third term 🙂