Monday links

• Judge acquits Oregon man who stripped naked to protest TSA snoopery & gropery. (Tip o’ hat to PT)
  • I always knew there was some reason I liked Lenovo. Aside from the fact that they make good computers, I mean.
  • Wow. Just wow. Put yourself in this position: You inherit a multi-media work by a famous artist. However, because of the media used, the federal government forbids you to sell it. You’d go to prison if you did. So every appraiser says its value is $0. Ah, but not the IRS . They not only want millions in taxes, but the penalties are heaping up and up and up …
  • I love it! The cat signal will soon help protect Internet freedom. Yay for the Internet Defense League!
  • Okay, I know about buying drugs via Silk Road. Great business idea, folks. But you’ll pardon me if I’m skeptical that even the protection of TOR and bitcoin can keep a transaction truly anonymous when the product still has to be mailed to you and the dealer has to have your address to do it. Now comes the same model for guns. I love it; I really do. Hooray for anything that thwarts governments poking into peaceable commerce. I’m just not lining up to buy.
  • &^%$$#@ing sanctimonious busybody
  • Where is the line for revolution? (H/T Jim B.)
  • I confess. I’m an advice-column junkie. I love “Dear Prudence.” Other than her penchant for believing that the state actually helps people, she’s got a lot of sense and gives some spirited advice. OMG, the first letter in this column … now that’s a sign of how political correctness can really warp some young minds. And Prudie gives the writer a well-deserved smack upside the head.
  • If you wrote a letter like this to the taxers in the Land of the Free, they’d send a SWAT team out to shoot you to itty-bitty pieces.

Pat July 23, 2012 4:28 am

I think “Where is the line for revolution?” is a very thoughtful and accurate perception of today’s situation. I read it the other day and, though the author did not mention the U. N. Arms Treaty, it will be a valid “line” to be drawn as well.

It’s bad enough when your own government comes after you, but for an international cartel of thugs to come after you, that will be the end of *any* civil obedience as I know it.
    Molon labe!

2. Matt, another
    Matt, another July 23, 2012 7:49 am

I think that “revolution line will be crossed by multiple items. I agree with Pat’s assessment on the U.N. Arms Treaty, enforcement would cross the line. The treaty only works in places that can’t manufacture their oown guns and have to import moost everything. Another linw will be when the government tries to outlaw religion. They will probably try to ligitate and then arrest visible members of the Catholic church for disobeying Obamacare mandates. Obamacare itself might be the trigger since Granny might not be willing to go quietly into the night and some folk that value life won’t want there severely handicapped child put down either.

3. Matt, another
    Matt, another July 23, 2012 8:27 am

I don’t think “Anglo” should append adventure to her name any longer. What a jerk. She probably reports people for not cutting their grass either.

4. Scott
    Scott July 23, 2012 9:13 am

I agree with Matt-sounds like Anglo never left the third grade, mentally.

5. EN
    EN July 23, 2012 11:45 am

Greeks routinely get tax bills that are made up out of thin air. They cheat because to not cheat would mean starvation. Nothing tells us more about the nature of the European Union then using Greek IRS stats as fact. They routinely reject every other facet of Greek stats as the fiction they are, but somehow they make decisions based on Greek Treasury “estimates” that Greeks are not paying 35 billion Euros in owed taxes. What it really comes down to is that the estimate matches the number needed for Greece to pay its creditors. If a house of cards collapses in Greece does anyone hear it?

6. Roger
    Roger July 23, 2012 11:54 am

I do not know if any of you have been to Greece. But in the rural area gun ownership is rife. In the hunting season, particularly in the islands, you can’t move without hearing a a chorus of gunshots. Were I a Greek tax assessor I would certainly think twice about making any personal calls with or without police escort. Mind you much the same can be said about Italy. My wife youngest sister married an olive farmer who threatened the mayor with a loaded shotgun at their wedding for having the temerity to mention some outstanding taxes. Fortunatly Gui was sober or it might have suddenly become an election year!

7. billswift
    billswift July 23, 2012 1:56 pm

The “boiling frog” metaphor is not true for real frogs, but it works well enough for people. See reference points, mental accounting, and the status quo bias. A decent place to start could be http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Status_quo_bias

8. just waiting
    just waiting July 23, 2012 2:44 pm

Unfortunately, I still turn at times to the tv for news. After the sad event in Colorado on Friday, the airwaves were full of discussion about gun laws and gun rights. Ex-PA Gov Ed Rendell was particularly adamant about a new ban on “assault-type weapons”, stating the same old cliche about hunters not using AKs and Mac10s.

After reading “Where’s the line..” it hit me.

Hunters don’t need AKs, thats true Gov, but “concerned citizens” sure do!

9. winston
    winston July 23, 2012 9:01 pm

Ugh, I have had the EXACT same crap happen to me in airports. I hate flying so much…I’m just way too much of a curmudgeon for all the ignorant rules (and people) at airports.

OHMIGOD IS THAT A ZIPPO?! YOU CAN’T SMOKE ON THE PLANE WHY DID YOU BRING THAT? AREN’T THOSE FULL OF GASOLINE OR SOMETHING, SO DANGEROUS!

Like honestly, If I could somehow squeeze out the fluid and set your fat face on fire with it I would, but it just doesn’t work that way. I ended up sitting across from this person and menacingly flicking it around for almost the whole flight, pretty sure I gave the man a complex…

Even worse is the retard TSA screeners who like to get an attitude when they have to do their jobs. So I left some lotion in my bag…it’s obviously not gonna blow up. Just play the little game and test it for explosives so I can put it back in my bag. It’s not neccesary for you make annoying comments. I’m a grown man in a free country, if I wanna carry a bunch of strange and bizarre crap I will do so without any harrasment from some moron who couldn’t into the Air Force.

10. LarryA
    LarryA July 24, 2012 2:05 pm

I think if I was the advice columnist I’d add a hint that getting helplessly-passed-out drunk isn’t consistent with personal safety, and if you don’t remember what happened it isn’t even fun.

But that would be victim blaming.

Claire July 24, 2012 4:23 pm

To her credit “Prudence” has said pretty much that on any number of occasions — and taken huge heat from feminists (who somehow believe that drunk guys have responsibility while drunk women are absolved of all blame for their own actions).