Which are you?

The responses to yesterday’s post on Terry and the checkpoint goons — about evenly divided between “Good man, Terry!” and “He really didn’t win” (Or “Good man, Terry! But he really didn’t win”) got me thinking once again about the different styles among Freedom Outlaws.

I suspect that this blog tends to attract a big share of Ghosts — people who’d rather quietly — but determinedly — go around Authoritah than confront it. But clearly there are plenty of Agitators hereabouts, also. I’m curious.

Which type of Freedom Outlaw best fits you? Ghost? Agitator? Mole? Or Cockapoo? And what actions (not just attitudes) on your part make that true?

Caveats: Of course many of us fit into several categories and plenty of us reject labels entirely. No problem. In that case either choose multi categories or tell me and my labeling to go to hell. But still … what specific actions or types of actions best express your freedomista nature?

Or to put it more simply, what do you do to create freedom?

1. Kent McManigal
    Kent McManigal July 27, 2012 9:42 am

I don’t know which I am. I just do whatever seems to be the right course of action at the moment. As long as I am not initiating force or stealing, I go with whatever is comfortable if possible, and if backed into a corner I do whatever I have to.

MamaLiberty July 27, 2012 9:57 am

Guess I’d have to say I’m mostly the Mole, with some agitator tendencies. I am active in the RKBA here as one who carries and teaches self defense, and am active as a part of the FSW, helping others to find some freedom in their own time.

Mostly I’m with Kent and just do the best I can with the limited strength and resources I have – measuring what I do by the NAP and self ownership principles. In the end, we all do whatever we must. .

3. ILTim
    ILTim July 27, 2012 10:59 am

Hmmm…. well, I take the path of least resistance and play by the rules more than I’d like in order to keep a low profile. But by and large I’m simply dismissive of all forms of Authoritah and do take the long road to avoid it. When it confronts me head on though, I can be a real agitator.

4. Woody
    Woody July 27, 2012 11:46 am

I’m a recovering agitator, currently a ghost and a hermit. Since my hermit lifestyle keeps me out of population centers for the most part, being a ghost is easy. I live what John Farnam refers to as a “stealth existence”. No outward indicators of my politics or philosophy of life. I manage to commit more than my allotted 3 felonies a day most days without even leaving the property or seeing anyone else. 😉 As I got older I discovered that there are many things that I will never be able to affect. Continuing to beat my head against the bureaucracy just seemed like a good way to waste the rest of my life tilting at windmills. I pass the torch to the youngsters with the admonition to do what you need to do but do it carefully. I’ll be sitting on the porch in my rocker (monkey wrench in hand) if you need me.

5. EN
    EN July 27, 2012 11:52 am

I’m certainly not shy about expressing myself on the state of our declining country and its ever greater complexity and totalitarian tendencies. However, knowledge of history and comprehension of our unstoppable direction alternately leaves me full of terror and hope. I’ve been involved in the study of Military System Dynamics (I believe they call it “system disruption now”) for a long time. I realize what’s happening and that it’s not going to be fixed. There’s no discouragement, or wild flailing at the unstoppable, just small attempts to control my own world (Ghost?). That’s me. I recently stumbled across something that summed up the hopelessness of taking it all too seriously, or even expecting a shred of my Libertarian views to change the landscape. Others have told me this is a hard slog, but to me it’s like mothers milk. It’s called “Peak Civilization: The fall of the Roman Empire”. http://www.financialsense.com/contributors/ugo-bardi/peak-civilization

6. water lily
    water lily July 27, 2012 12:19 pm

I was a mole once. Now I am not really an agitator, but a thought-provoker. (Well, at least I hope I provoke thought in a few folks…lol.) But I’m getting tired of it, because most don’t want to think, and I am not getting any younger.

So we’re slowing moving toward being ghosts. I hope we succeed before TSHTF. If not, we’ll be moles, I guess.

7. Plug Nickel Outfit
    Plug Nickel Outfit July 27, 2012 1:16 pm

It seems smarter to me to carry on as a ‘ghost’. My big mouth seems to lean towards being an agitator.

8. Matt, another
    Matt, another July 27, 2012 1:31 pm

Can I choose Ghost-Mole? There are plenty of days though that I agitate the heck out of my boss and co-workers.

9. Richard
    Richard July 27, 2012 2:06 pm

I used to be a “scofflaw” only living by the golden or silver rule (Hardyville law). Unfortunately there are only so many tines you can go to jail before they start to threaten you with felonies. I’ve always taken the path presented to me in life. Normally it is uneventful but not always. So now I’m working on being part time ghost. I am slowly working to get out of the system. No FRN use or tax is my ultimate goal.
    This mans story is impressive. Something I would only have done on a day I was tired of the BS. But eventually you also get tired of the list battles.

Joel July 27, 2012 2:08 pm

As Woody said, it’s a lot easier to be a ghost when you live away from the population centers and that’s what I do. I ignore any law that won’t immediately get me arrested or lead me into genuinely immoral behavior. Reducing my “standard of living” has immensely improved my quality of life as most days I do whatever the hell I please so long as I don’t hurt anybody else – and out here that’d be hard. Built my own Secret Lair without needing no steenking permit, work wherever I please and can find people willing to pay me (cash only), live as if I had a right to. Doing freedom is my life, but I do it very quietly. Ghost.

11. The Infamous Oregon Lawhobbit
    The Infamous Oregon Lawhobbit July 27, 2012 2:33 pm

Mole,* which is where I suspect you’d class me if asked. But “Ghostmole” sounds cooler. What’s a Cockapoo?

Ah. Click on the link. Got it.

*though “hobbit” suits me more exactly, I’m willing to answer the survey based on the surveyor’s choice of definitions.

12. Karen
    Karen July 27, 2012 2:51 pm

Since Crotchety Old Bat wasn’t an option, I guess I’ll go with mole-apoo. Mole because I’m just not (usually) a front lines confrontational type of gal. And cockapoo, not because I feel tired or beaten, but as a ‘starve the beast’ type of action.

[soapbox]
    The one thing all of us can do, regardless of whatever labels we choose to wear, is to support and encourage people like Claire who are in a position to make a difference. In the years since I found freedom/preparedness blogs and forums, so many excellent freedom outlaws have burned out and gone their quiet ways, leaving vast gaps in the community. Agitation doesn’t have to mean overt activism, it more often means following the call to think for ourselves and to encourage others to think for themselves as well. None of us are really too old or tired to do that. [/soapbox]

13. Mari
    Mari July 27, 2012 3:27 pm

My evolution into a mole happened over a period of about five years while I was employed in a comfortable, well paying, government job. It started when I noticed that my co-workers had very little respect for any for-profit business, even the marginal ones that were obviously run by people just surviving. Since I worked many years in the private sector and my father had a small business, I didn’t share their views and decided to escape from the government racket.

That was not so easy because I was pushing 60 and walking with a cane. To keep my sanity while I was planning my escape, I carefully planted seeds of doubt about the moral superiority of the government sector employees and their benefit to society. I managed to get assigned to projects that were either harmless or destined to fail. The Freedom Outlaw’s Handbook helped me through this difficult time by identifying my mole efforts as a possibly beneficial activity. The worse part about being a mole is that most anti-freedom people have been genuinely kind to me. After I quit my government job, I thought I could just live peacefully as a poor, retired ghost, but it’s not working out that way. I keep finding mole opportunities in every community gathering. It’s just amazing to watch someone start to reconsider a deeply held belief that they would have instantly defended if you challenged it directly.

14. Ellendra
    Ellendra July 27, 2012 10:58 pm

I’d prefer to live as a ghost, but I have enough relatives and other contacts in government and in the corporate world that I end up being sort of a secondhand mole.
    (I don’t press people for info, but people say more than they realize they’re saying most of the time)

15. naturegirl
    naturegirl July 27, 2012 11:41 pm

Ghost.

No permanent address, no phone, no car, no bank accounts, cash only – no IRS, no debt – 1 bill ($45 per mo, storage fee)….My name shows up on only 2 things, that bill and a drivers license and both have info that isn’t current (as of a year and a half ago)…..5 people know my real name (the rest know a generic type of nickname); 1 person knows where I am and 2 more think they do (but don’t)…..been this way, or on it’s way to this, for over a decade….

It ain’t easy but it’s cheap….not something most people can adjust to, but it’s really about as free as I’ve ever been……The real test will come next month, when I settle into an area I’d like to stay in – and how to do that and stay as ghostly as possible…..Things usually have a “work around” except for the damn license (or ID) part, but then I haven’t had to show that even once in the last 5 years…..

16. RickB
    RickB July 28, 2012 4:00 am

Mole (and quiet agitator).
    I am in every database there is. My papers are always in order. My credit rating is over 800.
    A dozen years ago everyone around me–work school play–was of the “rah, rah, USA #1” type.
    But, with a word here, a hint there…
    Now about half of those same people are anti-war and disrespectful of government at all levels. My two children are, like their dad, solid Christians and quiet agitators.
    This gives me some satisfaction.
    And I get to drive a late model car.

17. BusyPoorDad
    BusyPoorDad July 28, 2012 8:37 am

a Mole with a touch of Agitator. I work with a lot of Cockapoo’s and just can’t bring my self to do that. (All I would have to do is quit one of my jobs and we would meet the income requirements for a lot of gov aid.)

18. -S
    -S July 29, 2012 7:48 pm

Mole. I do many things. Here’s one.

The best way to get rid of the TSA is to make the lines slower. If the lines get just a bit longer, even more people will complain, Congressthings will come to fear for their “jobs,’ and responsibility for security will be put where it belongs, on the airlines.

Whenever I’m arrested and assaulted by the TSA, that is whenever I take a commercial flight, I ALWAYS opt out. I smile while I do it, and I’m genuinely happy for the delay. The longer they take, the better. I’m happy because I’m doing the dirty but necessary work required to end this torment peacefully and effectively. No organizing, no voting, no protesting, no groveling.

The mightiest machine can be brought to a halt by a handful of sand in the gears. I am a grain of sand. If one person in 100 would join me, the TSA sexual assaults would stop in a week. One in a thousand and it might take a month or two. Until then, I set an example for those with eyes to see.

I know that the sight of me standing spread-eagled while some goon gropes my crotch is distressing to some of my fellow travelers. Too bad. Freedom requires sacrifice.

19. Don
    Don July 30, 2012 8:11 am

Always been the mole but am becoming an agitator more as time progresses

20. Scott
    Scott July 30, 2012 9:24 am

A Ghost, from a long line of Ghosts-to the point that I might not notice it when I die and become a real ghost. So many “important” things can be utterly ignored, with little or no chance of the terrible consequences often threatened(this is a judgement call). My grandfather ignored more “important” rules/regulations/fees/permits(ad infinitum) than I even knew existed, lived to be 90 and enjoyed it for the most part.
    If it looks like $*!t, and smells like $*!t, you don’t have to step in it to find out for sure. Just walk around.

21. just waiting
    just waiting July 30, 2012 1:32 pm

I’ve always been a ghost, I’m not bothering anyone and just like to be left alone. But the true beauty of being a freedom outlaw is that one is not bound by classifications (we don’t need no stinkin badges) and can change throughout life as the situation requires.

In my youth, I was an agitatorghost. I was out in the streets. As I aged, and the world kept getting worse, I began thinking that one does not get change by being locked outside and yelling, change happens by getting invited inside, then whispering. So when I got older, I became a moleghost, with a gov’t job and everything, whispering inside the system.

Now I find myself even older, and of serious medical condition, so I find myself a cockaghost, and was content with life as one.

Until I got caught up in an issue of timing, of when medical marijuana would actually be legal to have and use in my state.

In standing up for myself and sufferers others like me I became an agitator again. Old and ill, I simply refused to be prosecuted for trying to relieve my suffering. Oh to remember the look on the prosecutor’s face when I said “No” and refused to enter a plea. Continuously dragging myself to court time and time again while they tried to figure out how to resolve my matter was unpleasant, but I would not back down, I would not be prosecuted. They tell me I set some kind of legal precedent, hurray I guess, I just hope one other person benefited.

I think the man likes me best as a ghost

22. Mic
    Mic July 30, 2012 8:53 pm

I am the ghost of a mole with some agitator tendencies. I am a mole in the sense that I try and look like everyone else without actually being everyone else. I figure the less I stand out like a nail the less likely I am to get pounded with a government hammer.

I am a ghost in the sense I am not a big social person and can hide out in my house for weeks and weeks with no human contact and be more than content. I do a lot of solitary activities and love it. As I get older I get more reclusive, definitely not less.

I am an agitator on some issues, generally happen to be 2nd and 4th Amendment issues that get me really riled up and agitating someone.

So I guess I am all 3 with some other stuff mixed in there that I have never bothered to identify.