Wednesday links

• Quick! More than half the tickets are already gone. But if you’ve ever wanted a Serbu BFG-50A (just like the one the good folks of Serbu refused on principle to sell to the NYPD), you can buy a chance and benefit JPFO at the same time. This is a beautiful [expensive!]* gun. If “BFG” stands for what you’d expect “BFG” to stand for, the name really, seriously tells the truth.
  • “David Brooks: The Last Stalinist.” Unfortunately, he’s probably not even remotely the last. But I “enjoy” listening to him on NPR, where they pair him with E.J. Dionne as if it’s some sort of big sparring contest (big liberal vs big conservative, you know), and their views are so darn near identical that I make a game out of guessing which is which.
  • Damn. Journalist — real journalist — Michael Hastings just got killed in a car accident, age 33. He was one of the rare ones who wrote about power without pandering to the powerful. He will be missed. Sigh. Now let the conspiracy theories begin …
  • Wow, yeah. That’s one one really, really big anti-gun rally. Three whole people attending. Of course, the sponsoring group isn’t anything big time. Just some outfit created to support an obscure politician named … oh, what was his name again? Oh yeah … Barack Obama, that’s it.
  • “Why government should be paying you for your information.” I disagree with some of the conclusions, but I’m even more fanatical in believing that personal information about individuals belongs to the individuals and should not be a trade good unless the individual involved gives explicit consent.**

* I did a big “misunderestimation” when I first put in the price. Please see comments for helpful info. Wow, this is some gun. 🙂

** Yeah, I know that goes against the current “information belongs to anybody who wants to profit from it” thinking. Well, BFD. The wiser I get, the more sorry I am that I ever considered Andy Galambos a nut.

—–

Oh gads, please let me be even 1/4 as cool as Christopher Lee when I’m 90:

Source for those who can’t see the embed.

Blatantly stolen from Borepatch, who has more on the Wonders of Lee at that link.

I’m not usually a big music person, but that piece would be magnificent even without Lee’s talents added to it. Gotta find out more about those artists.

MamaLiberty June 19, 2013 6:11 am

Marvelous music… just wish I could understand the words. I don’t suppose there is a transcript available anywhere. sigh

2. G.W.F.
    G.W.F. June 19, 2013 8:30 am

I think that Sebu goes for a bit more an $2400, more like $6500. It is a worthwhile cause so I will go for a ticket 🙂

Claire June 19, 2013 8:40 am

Here’s where I got that price: http://www.serbu.com/top/bfg50.php

Either way, though, if you could get one for $20, wouldn’t that be supercool?

MamaLiberty June 19, 2013 9:04 am

Thanks Claire… you are right. Must be related to some TV or movie.

As for the Sebu… I probably couldn’t even lift it and I sure couldn’t afford to feed it, but it would certainly be a cool addition to my collection. 🙂

5. Laird
    Laird June 19, 2013 9:22 am

Sorry to be a downer, but I find that kind of music supremely boring. But Christopher Lee is pretty cool!

6. G.W.F.
    G.W.F. June 19, 2013 10:34 am

Sorry, not trying to split hairs, but the BFG50 is a single-shot, the BFG50A is the semi-auto version: http://www.serbu.com/50bmg/semi_auto.php the Serbu site has that at $6700…. its just a way better gun than the single-shot 😉

Claire June 19, 2013 10:51 am

Not splitting hairs, G.W.F. Thank you guys for correcting my mistake!

Changed post to send people here for better info than I gave!

8. Shel
    Shel June 19, 2013 6:22 pm

Thanks, ML, for saying you couldn’t make out the words. I thought it was my poor hearing that was the problem. After looking at the lyrics, I now understand why I also heard a loud whooshing sound high in the room when I listened to it.

Claire, I don’t know how you can handle things like Brooks’ writing and NPR. What a wonderfully calm disposition you must have. BTW, for sheer banality, it’s hard to beat Michelle Obama’s Princeton Thesis, another genie that can’t be put back in the bottle. Barney sparkles by comparison. http://obamaprincetonthesis.wordpress.com/2008/02/22/word-searchable-text-of-michelle-obamas-princeton-thesis/

I was able to shoot a .50 cal once. It wasn’t bad at all; it recoiled about like a 12 gauge shotgun. That’s because on the end of the barrel there’s a muzzle brake that redirects gas back and to the sides. You have enough contacts you ought to be able to do it sometime; I think you would like it. Just don’t be the person next to the person who’s shooting.

Claire June 19, 2013 6:50 pm

Shel — I’m not even going to look at anything Michelle Obama ever wrote. Lordy. I’m sure your calm disposition outdoes mine if you can stand that.

FWIW, I have shot a .50 before. It was even a Serbu — with the “Have a nice day” muzzlebrake.

I know what you mean about it not being bad to shoot but not wanting to be the next person over. Good grief — the thump to the chest from just standing a few feet away!

MamaLiberty June 20, 2013 10:02 am

LOL! Yes, the .50 is a thumper, all right. I’d never seen one before, so when a new guy set up at the end of the rifle stations one day I was puzzled by the sudden move of the others who were shooting with me to the far end of the line.

The new guy set up this very large rifle, then walked over to us to make sure it was OK for him to zero -sight in his new gun. He casually mentioned to be sure we had adequate ear protection.

Then he walked back, took a while with the scope, then fired it. WOW!! What a rush. And no, I most certainly would not want to be standing right next to him.

Took him five rounds fired to be satisfied, and I was amazed to learn that those rounds were $5. EACH. Yowser. I don’t even want to know what they cost now.

11. Shel
    Shel June 21, 2013 7:19 am

FWIW, an excellent site that lists ammo for sale from different places is http://gunbot.net/ Prices for .50 BMG vary from $3.00 to $6.99 per round.

12. Paul Bonneau
    Paul Bonneau June 21, 2013 10:40 am

[Actually, Claire, I only lasted a couple of paragraphs. I was so stunned by the nonsensical drivel that I never even got to the anger stage.]

I didn’t find it nonsensical. It is actually well written, although the worldview is pretty scary (particularly when combined with power). The notion of self-serving “social scientists” measuring human attitudes bothers me; reading this is a bit like reading old scholarly articles on the science of phrenology.

On my old homeschooling reading list we used to now and then get inquiries from college kids attempting to measure homeschooler attitudes and such. I would usually tell them, more or less, that we don’t need their stinking studies, which usually end up supporting some variety of state intervention. I don’t like the notion of human beings under a magnifying glass.