Monday links

• If you’re old enough, you remember when Russian dissidents thought they were better off to defect to the U.S. Such a long, long time ago.
  • Really long …
  • Reason # 4,386,542 to be leery of Facebook. Odd one.
  • Viral humor.
  • I was really trying to avoid the Heidi Yewman Ms magazine saga (ignorant hoplophobe forces self to carry a gun for a month and reports on how icky it made her feel to, like, have to be aware of her environment and, you know, have grown-up responsibilities and all). Even when Joel had at Ms. Yewman in his inimitable style, I tried to ignore. But this is too good a fisking not to link.

Oh, to heck with it all. Let’s have some adorably brilliant dogs.

Meet Kyra, a rescue dog from Greece:

Source.

And Jumpy, who knows his right from his left, among other things:

Source.

1. Scott
    Scott July 29, 2013 7:09 am

That Facebook thing makes me really, Really, REALLY want a private social network of some kind. I have to use it for reasons of commerce, the original reason I got on it & Twitter. But good gravy there has to be something that’s as useful yet more intelligent.

Pat July 29, 2013 7:49 am

It remains to be seen what Russia’s role will be in the Snowden case. I *am* old enough not to trust it.
    Putin was, after all, in the KGB, and his keeping-up-with-the-world, pragmatic position in the 21st Century is not proof of good intentions. He’s playing it cool by seeming to stay out of the fray, but there’s a lot of info to be learned from Snowden, and I’m sure he wants it. If the American Empire is going to disintegrate, I’d rather it implode from the inside than be jerked around by a blackmailing foreign interest.

3. Matt, another
    Matt, another July 29, 2013 8:22 am

I’ve always looked at Facebook as the computer version of chatting with regulars and select strangers in a bar (or dinner party for ya’ll high class types). Expectation of privacy is limited, information traded should be limited and you should not talk to the crazies. Facebook is not owned by the users even though many users seem to think it works for them.

4. Shel
    Shel July 29, 2013 9:09 am

Putin, as we know, is extremely shrewd. He certainly will play this for all he can get. I think they have so many agents in this country now that Snowden probably doesn’t make a lot of difference to him. It’s much more advantageous to Putin just to let things simmer. He ultimately may make a deal for Snowden, but he will wait until it’s extremely expensive for us. Bobby Kennedy was quoted as saying that they couldn’t reveal the conditions of the “resolution” of the Cuban missile crisis because it would be politically devastating (that’s a whole ‘nother !@#$ story). And as we also know, Obama & Co. would have no problem selling our souls to get Snowden back.

I just haven’t done anything on social media. I have to do a whole lot of thinking and have a very good reason before I step into that swamp.

The piece on the carry article is excellent. It seems the archetypical response of liberals (who today perhaps are better described as socialists/communists) to an announced problem is to take things -guns, money, etc. – away from other people.

5. Mic
    Mic July 29, 2013 9:12 am

That article by Ms. Yewman about how unfit she is to carry a gun and by projection how unfit the rest of us are as well, reminds me of that “study” done by Diane Sawyer about having a CCW in a mass shootings at college wouldn’t work.

Back a while ago she arranged a “study” to show how a student armed with a concealed gun wouldn’t be able to save himself in a mass shooting in a classroom. First, she found a totally untrained person to play the student. Then she made the student wear big thick gloves so there was now way he could quickly access the firearm. Next she brought in a highly trained police officer to play the bad guy. She told the bad guy EXACTLY which student was the concealed carry student so immediately upon coming into the class he could take out the one guy carrying the gun first before the CCW person (with the big gloves on) could access his firearm to return fire. Of course the CCW person got shot to pieces.

She “concluded” with “certainty” that CCW in a college class could not save anyone in a mass shooting because of this highly scientific “study”.

I wonder if all these people that try and “come over to our side” and then demonstrate with absolute certainty that we are wrong know how totally stupid and foolish they look to us? I doubt it.

6. Water Lily
    Water Lily July 29, 2013 9:18 am

If someone sends a me a group FB message, after I read it, I “delete conversation” immediately, and I create a new message to reply directly to the person who generated the message. I don’t have a smartphone, so my dumb phone or e-mail contacts aren’t linked to FB in any way.

Does that make me immune to this particular problem? Hope so.

Yes, FB is evil, but there are ways to use it that can prevent many issues. I use it for light “fluffy” stuff, and for keeping up to date with writer friends and distant relatives scattered all over the country. I don’t discuss politics or religion. (There are other places for that.)

I have a FB phishing blocker and tracking blockers so that FB can’t follow me around on the internet. All apps are blocked. I don’t post very often, and I never give specific info about my personal life, never post my location, don’t let people “tag” me in photos, and I rarely post photos. (Unless they are of cute dogs, of course.)

I’m always on the verge of deleting my FB accounts, and I weigh the pros and cons often.

I treat Facebook as if it’s a public place like a coffeehouse, where all sorts of folks are standing behind me, reading over my shoulder, and I act accordingly.

Sure, I can delete my accounts, including my author pages, for privacy’s sake, but when my novels are published I’d like to use it to generate interest/sales.

Everything we do online is tracked in some way, our phones are bugged, and our snail mail is scanned.

Unless I move to that sweet log cabin in the woodsy mountains that I dream about, and I leave all of my electronics behind and never receive mail, I’m going to be spied on. Sucks, but that’s how it is – for now.

Anyway, sorry to go on about Facebook. Guess I’ve been thinking about all this lately. The dog vids are very cute!

7. Aleks
    Aleks July 29, 2013 10:28 am

about dissidents, there was an old russian joke.

an american meets a russian and tells him that there’s democracy in USA. He says I can go in front of the White house and say Reagan is an old fool with no consequences for me. Russian says, well then we also have a democracy. I can go to the Red square and say Reagan is an old fool and I’ll be fine too.

Why I am remembering that old story? Snowden is not a russian political dissident, he did nothing to offend russian powers to be. Khodorkovsky and Navalniy are those dissidents and one is in jail, the other will go there really soon.

8. Kyle Rearden
    Kyle Rearden July 29, 2013 11:53 am

Let’s be honest about something here…the United States IS the new Soviet Union. I’m not at all surprised that Assange and Snowden are confined to an embassy and airport, respectively.

Why do I get a weird feeling that Diaspora doesn’t have problems like email chain letters?

Ms. Yewman should be more concerned about her paranoid fantasies than with the tools responsible adults carry on their own bodies.

9. LarryA
    LarryA July 29, 2013 4:11 pm

[And then I think: “How in the world would I live with myself knowing I took a life?”]

It will be a lot easier than lying on the floor, bleeding out, knowing your child was being murdered because you couldn’t protect him.

[Physically taking the gun out of the safe and putting it in a holster on my hip literally reminded me that I was going out into a big bad scary unsafe world.]

As opposed to going out into the exact same world without remembering that it is big bad scary and unsafe.

[If you’re old enough, you remember when Russian dissidents thought they were better off to defect to the U.S.]

Heck, I’m old enough to remember when saying “You could grow up to be the President of the United States” was a compliment.

10. b00klegger
    b00klegger July 29, 2013 9:16 pm

@Scott
    There was a secure private social network under development a few years ago …

Diaspora* – I almost posted that it was defunct but after a Google search it seems to be still under active development. not really a “social” type person so haven’t really looked into it.

11. Brent
    Brent July 30, 2013 12:24 am

Something I just though of in regards to Ed Snowden and the charges against him. He released information to the American public. The details of which are the NSA is spying upon US, the American people. Now he is being charged under the Espionage Act, because he leaked information to the enemy.

SO the U.S. Fed gov now openly admits that “We, the People” are now the enemy?

Damn, they really ARE that stupid.

12. Pre-press veteran
    Pre-press veteran July 30, 2013 6:55 am

[SO the U.S. Fed gov now openly admits that “We, the People” are now the enemy?

Damn, they really ARE that stupid.]

Yup; you see, the whole reason for the explosion in the bureaucracy and regulation… is that “we the people” ARE the problem, in the eyes of the gov. So they think they have to have all these rules to control us.

Silly gov; they don’t control a thing…

13. Ellendra
    Ellendra July 30, 2013 10:26 am

Bradley Manning has just been acquitted!

14. Ellendra
    Ellendra July 30, 2013 10:33 am

Sorry, jumped the gun there. He was found not guilty on the charge of aiding the enemy, but guilty on several other charges.

Claire July 30, 2013 10:56 am

Thanks, Ellendra. Linky: http://www.seattlepi.com/news/crime/article/Bradley-Manning-acquitted-of-aiding-the-enemy-4694844.php

I wish the news for Manning (and freedom) were better. But that’s something.

In other news: The student tortured and nearly killed by the DEA several years ago was just awarded $4 million.

Unfortunately, those responsible won’t be the ones paying it.