And don’t forget Canada!

Apparently, in linking to all those “Mountains of MIT” snowpix of New England in my last links post, I did a disservice to eastern Canada.

Why, in Canada, houses are not only buried to their rooftops and cars driving around with icebergs on top, but in some places the snow is 11 beers* high!

Tip o’ hat to MJR, who’s probably right there “enjoying it all.” Here’s hoping he’s a little too far inland to haven’t gotten 11 beers worth.

—–

*Molson, of course.

Joel February 19, 2015 3:09 pm

Oh, yeah. That’s why I moved south, right there.

I once took the Canadian route from Detroit to Buffalo, just in time for an amazing snowstorm like I’ve never seen before or since. This was in 1982 as I recall, and I have to say the snowplow drivers – and their massive machines – were just awesome. Like nothing in the LP. Those tunnels-that-used-to-be-roads reminded me of it.

2. MJR
    MJR February 20, 2015 7:26 am

Hey Claire actually where I am now we have very light snow on the ground, mayby a yard and a half or so. It’s been the damn cold thats the problem. The average night time temp has been in the -30 or lower range with wind chill being around -45 or lower. On the plus side the great lakes are all but frozen over which ends the lake effect snow storms which is a good thing. I know I’m Canadian so suck it up… :^)

3. Peter
    Peter February 20, 2015 8:09 am

Where I am in Canada- (Southern) New Brunswick we have several feet of snow. We are getting punished. We got a light dusting last night only 6 inches. The city of Saint John has been in a state of emergency for a couple weeks now. Spring is coming soon I hope. Our normal temperature for a daily high is in the 30-32 degree range but we are lucky if we make in the 20’s most days this Feb.

Claire February 20, 2015 10:09 am

I like the Canadian notion of “light snow” or “a light dusting.” Very hearty, hardy, and so very Canadian of you both.

I spent many winters in Minnesota, so I’m tempted to say I feel your pain. But fact is, I’m very happy NOT to feel your pain. Temps will be in the high 50s to 60s here for the next five days (after today’s light drizzle clears up) and the sun will shine. No, I must say I’m very, very glad I don’t feel your pain.

But good luck to you. Spring will arrive. Then you’ll probably get to enjoy mud and black flies instead of snow and bone-freezing temps.

5. MJR
    MJR February 21, 2015 2:02 am

Hey Peter, hang in there. One of my friends at work has parents in St John and I get the updates so I know what you are going through. As for me I’m in the snow belt north of Toronto. The biggest problem here has been the damn cold. It’s getting to the point where I would rather have the black flies. The amount of snow you and I deal with (and you have more) would have the poor souls in Toronto fainting.

6. E Garrett Perry
    E Garrett Perry February 21, 2015 9:46 pm

And just imagine- after any winter like this comes General Winter’s faithful batman, the Raspoitize, the Season Of Bad Roads. When all the snow melts with the kind help on the spring rains, and turn everything to mud. Those Germans who survived the Russian winter seldom survived the Russian spring. I simply don’t want to imagine the sort of mud that eight feet of snow turns into. We’re dealing with the first round of melting here, after several record-breaking nights of cold- proper Frascini weather, this. Now it’s rain and slush before another freeze, repeat until Easter I should imagine. But eight feet’s worth of this mess? Oh my.