Friday links

1. Matt, another
    Matt, another February 27, 2015 10:47 am

The current administration wants control over the internet for the same reason the old communist regimes wanted control over radio and TV stations. Control will make sure they get only their propaganda to the people. Remember the pictures of incredibly remote villages in the Soviet Union that still had at leas one television antennae? By pushing for Brodband to be available to all rural and tribal communities, the government can make sure their propaganda and control mechanics get into every little corner of the U.S. The govt has to do this since MSM on radio and television is rotting away to nothing. Soon we will see nothing on the internet that is not approved by a commisar somewhere. I think the first content to be removed will be anything that competes with PBS and anything that is critical of the govt that is not approved by the govt. This will be a bipartisan issue where both parties will be happy with govt control.

2. R.L. Wurdack
    R.L. Wurdack February 28, 2015 4:38 am

Matt, I think you’re being optomistic.

MamaLiberty February 28, 2015 5:08 am

I’m not worried. The control train left the station a long time ago. Just as with “gun control,” the government can often make it less convenient, and more expensive, but they’ll never actually gain control.

The FCC Is Toothless and Feckless
    There are 196 nations. The FCC has zero authority in 195 of them. Each nation has different rules. Anyone can set up a website in most of them.

4. Fred
    Fred February 28, 2015 7:33 am

As any Ham will tell you,the FCC controls what you can say,and who can say it.

This is the end of free speech on the internet.And open news reporting and anything else the gov doesnt want.In other words,propaganda MSM will be the ONLY ‘news’ that will be allowed,by ‘official’ news reporters,etc etc etc.

This is a sad day indeed.

5. Fred
    Fred February 28, 2015 7:37 am

You need an ISP to access the net just as a ham needs a license to access the airwaves.Only in the internets case I dont see how you can even get out there without an ISP gateway.At least with ham you can broadcast until the FCC tracks you down,and of course they can.

Pull your ISP access,you are the nonperson.Scary.

6. Paul Bonneau
    Paul Bonneau February 28, 2015 8:14 am

I think the truth is somewhere between Gary North’s article and the gloom and doom. It is true that the govt pressure on ISPs may lead to elimination of small operations and entrenchment of the comcasts et. al., but I think there will be access via satellite and non-American companies, and small non-regulated nets will also appear that can link up to the net via these means.

I don’t see this copying the ham situation, as the radio spectrum is very limited compared to the internet. I don’t see the comcasts having much luck regulating speech although even today facebook does that to a certain extent (and there are always alternatives).

7. Fred
    Fred February 28, 2015 9:00 am

I see the slippery slope,the FCC can and does control content,the camels nose just went under the tent.And the FCC chumps will do exactly as told by the politico’s or its to the breadlines for them.
    As for access,I cant see how the gov cant block it.They have the technology,and now the keys to the gate as law.

MamaLiberty February 28, 2015 1:34 pm

Fred, I see all this from the perspective of one who went through a college and a university with nothing more than a typewriter and various libraries. I’ve had the internet for 32 years, but I’ve not forgotten how to type, use a library or write a letter. I just don’t see this as the end of the world, whatever the FCC does.

Yes, the internet might change considerably, it might vanish for a while, and it may well come back bigger and better than ever, with many more choices. And I think that’s true of a great many other things, especially things the idiot politicians try to “control.” Remember 3D printing?

We’ll survive. If we want to.

9. Matt, another
    Matt, another February 28, 2015 7:25 pm

The electro-magnetic spectrum does not care if the person transmitting across it has a license. The requirement is purely man made.

10. Fred
    Fred March 1, 2015 12:02 am

But if they desire they can block the airwaves.And tracking down illegal users is pretty easy with todays tech.

But I do like ham,beats my cellphone for coverage where I live.And its so easy to do.We got 2 of us licensed,2 baofeng radios,2 better antennas,a car power pack,a car antenna,all for 200 dollars.And we were total know nothings,all the info to take the tests is free on the net.For sure,anyone can do it.

But Im curious,are there other gateways to the net without an ISP?

11. Paul Bonneau
    Paul Bonneau March 1, 2015 7:20 am

I was looking at a site for satellite internet. Strangely, it seems only American companies are listed.

I can’t imagine there are no Russian or other satellites out there.

12. Paul Bonneau
    Paul Bonneau March 1, 2015 7:26 am

I mean that for satellite coverage of the Americas, there are only companies with American addresses (and thus subject to FCC). Maybe I missed one, though.

Perhaps FCC will create a market niche for Russian companies to fill by putting a satellite up there for us, heh.

13. Paul Bonneau
    Paul Bonneau March 1, 2015 7:36 am

I found this:
    “Due to international rules + regulations, you can’t just ‘Beam Satellite signals’ into a country without their permission.”

Hmmm, this might be more difficult than I thought. I wonder how easily the Chinese get around the Great Firewall? Maybe that’s what we are up against.

I’m still not too worried about content. One can use a VPN after all.