Rough wind that moanest loud

Yikes in booties. We’re not only expecting a weekend (and up to a week) of heavy rains ahead. We’re under a high wind watch, too, with gusts possibly reaching 65 to tomorrow morning.

Now I know you midwest and southern types are used to sudden summer blowups, but that’s not what we typically get. In fact, I’m pretty sure I’ve never seen a high wind watch or warning in summer in the Northwet. Could get interesting.

In any case, I’m not moaning a Shelleyesque dirge (get back to me on that long about November).

What I’m going to do instead is hunker down, cook up a big pot of beef stew, watch videos, stuff my face with comfort foods, and not do any more &^%$#! work on the house for a few days.

Wellll … maybe I’ll drag that old bathtub out of the remnant of the bedroom closet and finish dissolving the ancient crud off it. (This is why I buy Goof-Off, that amazing miracle substance, by the gallon.) Otherwise no hard labor!

1. Ellendra
    Ellendra August 28, 2015 8:25 am

“What I’m going to do instead is hunker down, cook up a big pot of beef stew, watch videos, stuff my face with comfort foods, . . . ”

. . . and field-test the new roof!

As long as I have a warm house to dry out in!

MamaLiberty August 28, 2015 8:47 am

Does anyone think their house is even minimally “sealed” or water tight? I always thought this house was pretty close, until the heavy rainstorm Wednesday night. (Thank heavens there was no hail this time.)
    The wind was incredible (reported at 60 MPH gusts), and the rain came at the south side nearly horizontally. The two windows on that side leaked water around the edges, and then I watched in astonishment as water ran in under the outer edge of the ceiling and dripped down the logs. I had to put towels on the floor to mop up the water, and am only glad the rain didn’t last more than an hour or so. Something between the eves and the top logs is cracked or crumbled, I fear, and the heat will leak out that way too this winter. I have no idea what to do about it…

Claire August 28, 2015 9:19 am

Oh Mama, that’s the pits! But call in one of your helpful guys. It’s very possible (with both the windows and the roof edge) that your problem is nothing more than old, crumbling caulk. Sure hope so!

I know how distressing it is to suddenly find water pouring into your house when you thought you were cozy and set for winter.

Pat August 28, 2015 9:37 am

“I have to admit, I love storms. Not the damage, of course, but there’s something about them. Nature’s power on display.”

Agreed… so do I. Storms are exciting – “as long as I have a warm house to dry out in!”

But Chelan County would be glad to receive some of that water to combat its fires. My son sent me a photo this a.m. showing a wildfire starting to spread down the mountain closest to the town of Chelan. Nasty looking, and scary! Many homes have been destoyed already, with evacuations ongoing.

This article http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/06/29/washington-state-wildfire_n_7692128.html concerns Wenatchee, WA; the picture he sent was near Chelan, but I can’t find it. A friend in Seattle sent it to him.

Claire August 28, 2015 9:43 am

Amen and best wishes that the people east of the mountains get the heavy rain and not just the high winds. They desperately, desperately need a break from what nature has hurled at them this summer.

6. LarryA
    LarryA August 28, 2015 6:26 pm

May you watch many videos, and not have to read books by candlelight. And may Robbie not mind the thunder.

Claire August 30, 2015 4:20 am

Karen — It was a mess. How awful that people died, especially that little girl at the party. But not surprising. No major damage hereabouts, but they’re right that all those dry, but leaf-laden, trees didn’t fare well in the gale.

Claire August 30, 2015 4:27 am

And it’s still coming. Winds have decreased, but rains increased. Here’s what the area’s most prominent meteorologist has to say about it:

Definitely an unprecedented storm for August. Maybe they’re right about that “Godzilla El Nino” that supposed to dominate the season, although that’s supposed to affect California more than us.