Name that cottage, the sequel

After the glorious comment thread on the original Name that Cottage post, here are the 11 happiest names:

Mo Saoirse
“My Freedom” in Irish; pronounced mo seer-sha; Suggested by Pat

Dripping Cedars
Inspired by Kent McManigal’s suggestion, Dripping Leaves

Casa Solana (or just Solana)
“Sunny spot” or “sun room” in Spanish; From Seibert

Shadowleaf
Suggested by Vince

Hardyvilla
Beth’s modification of Chris’ suggestion

Peek-a-View
Inspired by Lady Locust’s suggestions

Chrysalis (or Chrysalis Cottage)
Suggested by capn

Sunray
From A.G.

Nestledown
A late entry from TJ Madison

Adnamira
Carraig Cottage

Both from my original list. Adnamira means “flowing water” in an Australian aboriginal tongue (so the Internet tells me) and in Ireland a carraig is a giant, unyielding boulder.

Now the big question is how to choose. Names in a hat? List under my pillow until I dream the right one? Poll the neighbors? See which one tastes best to Ava? I’ll gladly take your input; it’s already been both invaluable and fun to receive. But the right name will ultimately come from within. Or be suggested by the house itself at some odd moment.

Some names there I find beautiful, but am not sure they’d trip naturally off my tongue. The one I can most hear myself speaking is “Dripping Cedars” because it’s a little wry, unpretentious, and so very true. The place is flanked by cedars. They drip. But I like the poetry of other names.

Ohhh, this is going to be tough!

BTW, though, it’s interesting how many suggestions had something to do with sunshine. Because aside from the yellowness of the house (it’s actually khaki, but let’s not get technical), you didn’t know about this:

1. Bill St. Clair
    Bill St. Clair December 27, 2015 5:31 am

My only experience at naming was with my two kids. I looked in their eyes right after they were born and immediately knew their names. Didn’t expect that to happen either time, but it did.

Claire December 27, 2015 5:47 am

That’s amazing, isn’t it, when something like that happens? Even more amazing, perhaps, if their mother recognizes that you’re right.

Pat December 27, 2015 5:57 am

Well, I suggested Mo Saoirse because it has meaning, but it IS hard to look at and would have to be translated to everyone who saw it; that could get tiresome fast. There are other names that are also meaningful, and beautiful. (And you could turn Cedars into Cedra in some way, with a nod to Rebel Fire.)

Whatever you choose, may I suggest having it carved/burnt on a lintel over your front door — when you get one. It will look nice, and set the name into people’s minds. (Of course it will also help Google find you faster.)

Your sun wall is very nice, BTW; bright and cheerful.

4. capn
    capn December 27, 2015 6:39 am

I am pleased to be helpful.

stay safe

5. Beth
    Beth December 27, 2015 7:23 am

That comment thread was lots of fun! Very glad you found some ideas to suit you. I learned a lot from it too.

Nice sunshine wall!

Claire December 27, 2015 10:23 am

“Well, I suggested Mo Saoirse because it has meaning, but it IS hard to look at and would have to be translated to everyone who saw it”

That bothered me at first, but the name’s actually pleasant to say and of course the meaning is wonderful.

I’m figuring it’ll be an Other People’s Problem if their tongues cramp just from thinking about the pronunciation (“say-o-i-arse” “sour-ice”). Anyhow, with Saoirse Ronan regularly turning up in every big Oscar-bait movie these days, more people will learn how to pronounce it (even though IMDB says she uses the true pronuciation when she’s in Ireland and switches — heaven knows why — to sur-sha when she’s in the U.S.).

7. Roberta X
    Roberta X December 27, 2015 6:26 pm

I kinda like “Mo Saoirse,” though odd names are not so much an OPP as a thing one has to explain from time to time. “Roseholme Cottage” is a kind of a pun on my family name and the (possible) grant of arms to that name (ancestor? Who knows!), but I’m asked from time to time if it has anything at all to to with Rose Hulman, a prestigious engineering college in a nearby town.

Claire December 27, 2015 7:02 pm

Roberta X — I thought of you and Tam during this talk of house naming & I’ve wondered about the name Roseholme Cottage. It sounds so quaint — and for a while I confess I even thought that both Broad Ripple and Roseholme Cottage were something like fantasy places. (Then I learned that Broad Ripple is not only real, but the local center of coolness and hipness.)

I’m leaning more and more toward “Mo Saoirse.” It’s between that and “Chrysalis,” right now. But when I look up chrysalis online, I get lots of drug rehab places, halfway houses, religious programs, and schools for troubled (but apparently very rich) girls. Not wild about that association, unfortunately. When I looked up “mo saoirse” the only untoward item that came up (other than multiple references to Saoirse Ronan) was a performer named Saoirse who appeared to be in a drag-queen competiton at a place named Mo’s. I could live with that. ๐Ÿ™‚

“Dripping Cedars” still seems like the most down-to-earth name.

9. Mr Natural
    Mr Natural December 27, 2015 8:39 pm

For a home and final redoubt I would suggest “Far Enough”. It’s what an old Boer farmer called the farm he bought after the English prospectors bought his prior farm for the mineral rights. Could be “Far Enough Cottage”, “Far Enough Manner” etc, etc.

Just seems to convey the proper spirit of both a place of rest and a final line of resistance.

Cheers. ๐Ÿ™‚

10. Laird
    Laird December 28, 2015 8:22 am

Gaelic/Irish names don’t do much for me (if you’re going for weird why not full-on Welsh?). But I rather like “Nestledown”; it has a very peaceful feel to it. And if you’re feeling pretentious you could expand it to “Nestledown Abbey”!

Claire December 28, 2015 10:14 am

Laird — Well, I guess I could ask our resident Welsh reader, Roger, how to say “my freedom” in Welsh. ๐Ÿ™‚ But given that my own background is Irish and I’ve been to Ireland but never to Wales, I’m more than a little biased.

I like “Nestledown,” too. Every time I think I’ve narrowed down to one or two names, I then get drawn back to a different one.

12. Roberta X
    Roberta X January 1, 2016 4:47 pm

“…a performer named Saoirse who appeared to be in a drag-queen competiton at a place named Moโ€™s. I could live with that. :-)”

Seems like rehearsals could be noisy. –Oh, you mean the confluence of names? Yes, the house and performer are unlikely to be confused with one another.

Nestledown is nice — suggests a certain style. Mo Saoirse takes a little more work on the part of the beholder and I like that.

The thing about naming houses is that it’s about half organic. My previous place was the “Radio Ranch,” in part because of the twisted course my (wire) ham-radio antenna had to follow in order to fit safely on the lot while missing overhead power lines, etc., and the name grew from the comments of radio-minded friends. There was…an excess of bracketage and insulators.

My present house was “Fort Bobbi” early on, as the neighborhood runs to high, stockade-like back-yard privacy fences and I was a bit huddled up at the time, but it (like much of the single-family housing and duplexes in Broad Ripple) is very cottage-y in the sense of being Arts & Crafts cozy, and things just evolved from there, with the “natural-color rose” grant of arms being also an old symbol for intelligence agencies and the pun of “holme”/home (a “holme” is a gravel bar or island and the water table around here is crazy-high).

I use a Tudor rose on a gray (as per the supposed heraldry) or yellow (matches the trim) background — still working up the stack of stencils to add that somewhere on the property.