Thursday links

• Heh. Carl-Bear Bussjaeger has an idea for those who are likely to be reclassified as “gun dealers” by Obama fiat: comply, comply, comply, comply … and comply some more.
  • Very good one from Mas Ayoob: Five myths of gun fighting.
  • Until recently, the common assumption was that carefree, laid-back people lived longer, healthier lives and that anxiety and worry were bad for you. Lots of research these days points away from that belief. Here’s one more datapoint. Anxious people process threats in a part of the brain devoted to action.
  • The Bill Clinton effect or why liberals may be more sexually abusive to women. (I’m not sure author Carrie Lucas really makes her case, but it’s interesting.)
  • Could you be a libertarian existentialist?
  • Fascinating even at the same time you really hope this study wasn’t funded by tax dollars: do dogs, despite their diversity of size and appearance (the most diversity of any species), recognize that other dogs are dogs on sight?

Joel December 31, 2015 8:50 am

Claire I couldn’t make it through to the end of that Reason article on libertarian existentialism. So tell me true: Did it have a point?

Claire December 31, 2015 9:10 am

I think the point was to sell his book, Joel. But having fancied myself an existentialist (back in high school, and perhaps even now if I thought about such things), I found the existentialist/free market juxtaposition interestingly provocative.

MamaLiberty December 31, 2015 10:58 am

Interesting article on anxiety, but here are a great many different kinds of anxiety, and they are not all created equal. The article doesn’t indicate any differences between one kind and another, unfortunately. I didn’t read the whole research paper, but have bookmarked it for later.

Anxiety associated with the inherent survival instinct, coupled with rational evaluation of the situation and subsequent response, is healthy. The average person can use this very well, especially with appropriate practice of other defensive skills.

Anxiety associated with pain, false guilt, emotional trauma and so forth is damaging. It can be overcome, usually with some sort of reality testing and counseling.

4. Publicola
    Publicola December 31, 2015 11:38 am

Progressives exist in a societal structure premised on a top-down system that’s focused on the collective. That makes it more acceptable &/or more likely for those with power or influence (real or imagined) to view individuals as objects. Hence, a male with a little or a lot of power does not have the same moral or societal impediment to using or manipulating women (or men) for their own gains. & because they support, or give lip service (bad puns are always intentional) to women as a group, they seem more women-friendly to fellow progressives, bolstering the notion that what they’re doing isn’t wrong. It’s nothing extravagant or requiring a conspiracy theory, simply human nature.

While us rednecks (gun nuts, Southerners, fly-over people, Scots-Irish, etc) are seen as an oppressive patriarchy because we treat women differently in social contexts. Not that there isn’t abuse of women (& men) in our culture, it’s just not as prevalent methinks, and it’s not as condoned when it does occur. Besides, most Southern women I know will whoop somebody’s ass if they get too out of hand (or free with their hands) and we as a cultural group not only condone women protecting themselves, but view it as a priority to protect the women in our life.

So I’d submit that the Bill Clinton Effect is really nothing more than the Rousseau Effect, which is an evil that’s been manifesting itself for thousands of years (Rousseau just championed part of it, but methinks it goes back to the Romans, especially their attempted conquest of Caledonia, but that’s a long explanation)

5. LarryA
    LarryA December 31, 2015 7:08 pm

Unfortunately, so do conservatives. Lucas makes the common journalistic mistake of believing those are the only two alternatives in society, and that they are materially different in wanting the government to run other people’s lives, for their own good.

6. Publicola
    Publicola December 31, 2015 7:29 pm

Larry,
    I see a distinction between the progressive culture & the progressive political ideology. I was referring to the former, which includes a lot of folks that are conservative.

7. Josh
    Josh December 31, 2015 10:46 pm

As the cracks of gunshots still roll in from the distance and the scent of black powder wafts off my hands, I am sure, absolutely sure, that the gun-grabbers will prevail.

I’ll take the first belly laugh of the new year.

Good luck y’all, happy 2016.

Claire January 1, 2016 6:21 am

Good one, Josh. Happy — and FREE — New Year!

9. VoyagerNOK
    VoyagerNOK January 1, 2016 10:18 am

Interesting about the dogs recognizing one another despite breed differences. One of the best horses I ever had almost turned himself inside out with terror trying to get away from the first POA he saw. (these are little ponies marked like Appaloosas) http://www.theequinest.com/breeds/poa/

I also had a good cowhorse once that I’d used around angus, herefords and brahma cattle for years, but the first time he saw a pure white charolais calf I couldn’t get him within 50 yards of it. I have no idea what he thought it was but until he had been in a corral with a herd of charolais brought into the adjacent pen and seemed to realize they were cattle, he was useless around any that had calves. (they are born pure white) It was like he was seeing a ghost.

So, I have often wondered what is in different animals heads.

MamaLiberty January 1, 2016 1:25 pm

Great story, Voyager! I once had a barn cat that would allow almost anything to nurse, as long as it was roughly kitten size. Over the years, she raised a tiny puppy, and had several baby bunny “kids.” Mostly, however, I’d find her nursing kittens that were not hers, and I swear she could and did steal them from the other cats. She would nurse any of them until they were so big it was ridiculous.

The really funny story here is that when that puppy grew up, she was always comfortable with cats, but was terrified of most dogs. 🙂 Never got over it either.

11. LarryA
    LarryA January 1, 2016 8:08 pm

Finally had time to read the dog study.
    you really hope this study wasn’t funded by tax dollars

Given that the researchers were “based in France” I’d guess it was tax-funded, but not our taxes.