Things Amazonian. And ghostly.

Last month, after Dave quit paying me to blog, you guys rose grandly to the occasion via Amazon. May was the best non-Christmas month ever. Not enough to make up for the lost income, but it definitely went a good ways in that direction. For which, many smooches.

This month? Erm … not so much. I believe the word for it is “sucks.”

Amazon has its natural ups and downs, so normally I don’t worry. But nothing’s been normal since that email from BHM.

So I’m just asking once again. Whether you’re at a level where you’re Cookin’ With Beans and Rice (which is a great little Mormon cookbook, BTW) … or a level where you do your cooking in style with an Ecoque portable grill (which over the years has been the most popular item I’ve ever linked) … please do it via my Amazon links.

The drill again for those who don’t know, is that if you use any one of my Amazon links, any time you visit Amazon to purchase anything, then everything you purchase during that visit will earn me a commission.

Or you could just bookmark my main Amazon link and use it as your forever-entry to that great and vast marketplace o’ stuff. That’ll make your life — and mine! — easier.

—–

Amazon may be having a pitsy month, but I did receive a mysteriously uplifting donation. Which came from a ghost. Not a Ghost as in the ranks of Freedom Outlawry (though perhaps that, too). But a ghost as in spectral haunting.

Or so the return address said. Really. A famous regional ghost from one of the most haunted parts of the country. I’ve sent thanks to the live person I’m guessing sent the donation. But just in case I guessed wrong … Thank you, Ms. Ghost.

—–

And again … I’m not soliciting donations right now. Hoping to put that off for a while as I see how I do without. It was wonderful to get that ghostly boost, but if you want to donate, I’m pretty sure I’ll give you an “official” chance later. Perhaps soonish, as later goes. But later.

1. Kent McManigal
    Kent McManigal June 18, 2016 7:24 am

I buy things from Amazon on behalf of several other people, and I always use your link. I’m glad you don’t know who buys what, because I would be embarrassed by the things I end up buying! For them. Not for me. Just so we’re clear on that. đŸ˜‰

2. jed
    jed June 18, 2016 11:02 am

I’m currently bookmarking things for the next purchase. Good thing I don’t consider fuses to be embarrasing.

I could use some cooler weather; too bad Amazon doesn’t sell that.

3. Sam in Oregon
    Sam in Oregon June 18, 2016 2:36 pm

Didn’t know how to use your Amazon link before now – sorry. However, I have now bookmarked your “main Amazon link”. We purchase stuff from Amazon throughout the year on a random basis so next time it will automatically go through your link. Wish I’d figured it out sooner, but better late than never, no?

4. FishOrMan
    FishOrMan June 18, 2016 6:39 pm

These should have passed thru you when I got them, but they were the biggest hit for all the”kids” during the recent camping trip to Yellowstone. These hammocks come with everything you need, (minus a couple of trees), and add great color whenever pictured. “Tribe Provisions Single Person Adventure Hammock”

5. FishOrMan
    FishOrMan June 19, 2016 8:52 am

Also just bought an Amazon membership for a relative. Hope it sends something your way too.

6. Jean Leonard
    Jean Leonard June 19, 2016 11:30 pm

Apparently they set a cookie when you enter the site through your “main link.” To me that means it won’t be passed on to others as part of the url. That’s a bummer because I’m constantly recommending things to people. Am I wrong?

Barely making it financially myself, but at least I’m out of the metro area now. Love it out here in the boonies. Email when you get a chance.

7. Ron Johnson
    Ron Johnson June 20, 2016 4:48 am

I don’t buy much from Amazon, not because they are the evil-giant-squid of retail, but because I just don’t think of them when I need something. I’m more of a ‘need it now, will pay anything’ kind of guy.

However, I might be encouraged to make more purchases with Amazon if I could find a good reason to do so.

How about reading lists, product reviews, or other bits of info that you can throw at me to let me know about things I didn’t know I wanted or needed? Maybe you already do that and I just haven’t paid attention?

8. Ellendra
    Ellendra June 20, 2016 10:04 am

I make a point to buy through your link when I buy from Amazon, but I just don’t buy much anymore. And when I do, I let the list build up for a few months and then get it all at once.

Claire June 20, 2016 10:14 am

FishOrMan — Think you forgot a link there, but next time I’m online for more than a few minutes, I’ll look up any hammocks recently purchased.

Jean Leonard — You are right that recommending items to people alone doesn’t give me credit with Amazon (though thanks for the try). They have to come here and use my links. Or bookmark my main link. It is possible to transmit “my” links via email, but that could be iffy.

Ron Johnson — I have in the past done Amazon links posts and product reviews using Amazon links. Sometimes, if it’s a new book or something, such posts will result in sales of the item and perhaps a mild uptick in other sales. But I’ve found that even the most detailed links posts (like the ones I’ve done at Christmas where I recommend very specific items for (say) preppers, readers, kids, hunters, etc.) don’t generally prompt people to buy those items — though they may draw readers into Amazon for other purchases. I will be doing some links posts this summer, but I doubt they’ll persuade you to want things you didn’t know you wanted. And actually I’m rather uncomfortable with such sales pitches, anyhow.

Thanks to everybody who’s using my links. I definitely understand needing to pace purchases or not being able to afford purchases.