Sunday links

• The Survival Mom reflects on 12 reasons otherwise prepared people may fail to survive. (Derived in part from Alexandra Ripley’s provocative book, The Unthinkable: Who survives when disaster strikes — and why.)
  • Yes, it worked so well without government … let’s regulate it!. (H/T Shel from comments)
  • Sweet, sweet, sweet revenge: Sen. Pat Toomey (he of the Manchin-Toomey-SCHUMER-Gottlieb anti-gun bill) discovers something about the loyalty of those victim-disarmers whose noisome backsides he smooched.
  • Dear Economist: I don’t think the nationalization you write of was as “accidental” as you claim to believe.
  • Devoted rescuers, doctors, and 3D printing experts saved a Toucan whose beak was sawed off by miserable, wretched slime who ought to have his/her/or its own parts removed (and not replaced).
  • Who’s the real villain in the EpiPen mess? (Wow, good for you. You got the answer right even before you clicked on the link!)
  • I noticed the earlier talk of Olympic champion Kimberley Rhode not getting her due from the media. Because of course her sport involves guns, so what does anybody expect? But not until I read Joe Bob Briggs’ take on it did I realize what an outrage it was (and not merely from the media). (Tip o’ hat to AE)
  • This article is just the usual yawn-worthy political analysis. But you really have to love this bit: Asked about a smell they might associate with this election, the participants in a focus group conducted by Peter Hart in Wisconsin this week gave the following responses: “sulfur,” “rotten eggs,” “garbage,” “manure” and a “skunk’s fart.”
  • Yet another not-terrible MSM article on folks moving to Rawles’ Great American Redoubt. They certainly seemed to have focused on people who have serious money, though. And to have forgotten, there toward the end, that 20 years ago they considered all those “normal” residents of Idaho to be nothing but crazed, paranoid racists already. (Tip o’ hat to FH)
  • What a thing of beauty. A father photographs his five-year-old daughter in the costumes and poses of classic paintings. That little girl’s a great model, too. (H/T TSO in comments)

Oh, and BTW … Couple of weeks ago, you v*ted to return to chronological comments and bag the current nested ones. That should have been do-able with a single click. But when I performed that click … nothing. After several go-rounds with the creators of this WordPress theme, it turns out the theme has a bug. They told me this morning they expect to have it fixed within 48 hours. I’m hoping (but not hopeful) that a return to chronological comments won’t affect posts whose comments are already threaded. That would be messy. But in the long comment threads we get around here, chronological is definitely easier to keep track of. So thanks for v*ting early and often (even though I also note you failed to invite your dead cousins and your family dog to do their patriotic bit and join in the v*ting).

MamaLiberty August 28, 2016 12:22 pm

The villainy of the epi-pen thing is not limited to the price, by any means. Nathan, at The Price of Liberty, wrote about this just yesterday. http://www.thepriceofliberty.org/?p=9592

The epi-pen is a great tool for those few people who truly need an almost instant response to a severe allergic reaction. Unfortunately for the drug company, those numbers were too few indeed, so a vigorous marketing effort was made to convince people and doctors that this device was necessary for them as well. And so, many thousands – maybe millions – are now sold to people who don’t actually need them.

I suspect it would be nearly impossible to discover how many people have suffered adverse affects from using these things, and there would be no way likely to determine how many of those used the epi-pen inappropriately, especially with children. Unfortunately, any medication can be dangerous, and even something this simple is very often not used correctly. The same is true of a lot of other “rescue” medication, such as asthma inhalers.

The old price of “only” $50. each is much too high. They have a very short shelf life and are not refillable. Competition in a free market would indeed bring down the price, and help to inspire a much better and more useful product. The good news is that there are some alternatives now. And probably more will come along, in spite of government monopolies.

2. Shel
    Shel August 28, 2016 2:37 pm

That’s a wonderful Toucan story. They are astonishingly beautiful birds in the wild. They also can make quite a racket.

The takimag.com article on the woman Olympic shooter was excellent, too. I never paid attention to that site before, though I think you’ve linked to it in the past. There were two excellent articles under the “Most Popular” heading. The first was on the Clinton body count; it contained a lot I didn’t already know. And the one on Hillary’s health, by Jim Goad, author of the Redneck Manifesto, was very detailed and ended in a most logical conclusion, she’s “one sick b…”

3. Chuck
    Chuck August 28, 2016 2:42 pm

We deal with fires all the time. You really think after youve laid down suppressive rifle fire the bad guys will just leave.No they will not,they will retreat,take one match and burn your forest down,with you in it.The survival dream just doesnt play nice with reality.

So much for the vaunted redoubt.

4. LarryA
    LarryA August 28, 2016 2:48 pm

The 12 reasons are valid, and things you can do something about. However, I think the main reason prepared people won’t make it may be simple luck. If you’re where the meteor hits, the game’s over.

I’ve noticed that around here, for some reason, almost all the “Who’s the real villain” questions have the same answer. 😉

Kimberly has trained here, at Hill Country Shooting Sports Center. The article is right, her heart is more gold than her medals. She’s always ready to help others, particularly young or new shooters. Any time she’s ready to escape California, I’ll sell her the house next door.

5. Kevin Wilmeth
    Kevin Wilmeth August 28, 2016 2:58 pm

Oh, that article on Kim Rhode is outstanding.

“Here’s a wow fact for you: Kimberly is one of only four people pictured on a Winchester ammunition box since the founding of the company in 1855. The other three are company founder Oliver Winchester, Teddy Roosevelt, and John Wayne.”

Filthy stupid sexist gun industry!

6. LarryA
    LarryA August 28, 2016 3:10 pm

Oh, and I think the “not-terrible MSM article” is that way because they’re discovering a trend. More people are thinking about “what-ifs.”
    Mainstream churches are setting up disaster-relief teams, and holding preparedness workshops. Rumor has it that our local medical center pays employees a bonus/hour if they have a license and carry. According to Texas Association of School Boards more than 10% of Texas school districts have teacher carry.
    The times they are a’changin.

7. Jorge
    Jorge August 28, 2016 6:38 pm

The Toucan story is one I actually know. I donated to the rescue effort. There is a lot of good there and a very interesting tech story for geeks as well. The unfortunate down side is referred to in the article. An anti animal abuse law that has had lot of junk stuffed into it.

I will not get into the specifics of how the legislature works in Costa Rica but similar to the US riders and other amendments can be added to proposed legislation. This has happened with the anti animal abuse law. Suffice to say that the bill, in its current state, contains a lot of things that have nothing to do with the abuse of animals and have a lot to do with the desires of nanny state regulators.

Those who are interested and read Spanish can look up the latest iteration in La Gacetta ( http://www.imprenal.go.cr/gaceta/).

Personally I hope this bill does not pass, at least not in its current state.

8. Kent McManigal
    Kent McManigal August 28, 2016 7:36 pm

The article on the Olympic shooter was interesting. I wouldn’t want to carry that flag, myself, but if she wants to, they really should honor her wishes. She has earned it.

The article on the American Redoubt- Those preppers are too heavily religious conservative (thus statist) for me to feel at home around. Not that the area I’m in is any better. I just don’t get people fawning over a group that is just as willing to murder them as those they know are their enemies.

I enjoyed the 12 reasons why people fail to survive. I think they forgot one, though. Sometimes random bad things just happen and there’s nothing you can do about it. Prepare the best you can, look on every situation as an adventure, and don’t worry about what you can’t control or foresee. Death can’t be put off forever.

Claire August 29, 2016 5:48 am

Chuck — Why do you assume that the entire purpose of the redoubt is to engage in armed combat?

I have reservations about the redoubt idea, myself. But clearly people are not moving away from large centers of government primarily so that they can go to war with government (or anybody else).

Claire August 29, 2016 5:52 am

Even a Harvard study now admits the obvious: that government-granted monopolies are responsible for the extreme prices in so many prescription drugs.

While obviously true free-market companies would try to find expanded markets for their wares, even some of the current expansion ML describes is government-inspired and government-supported. How many tax breaks did Mylan get for donating EpiPens to public schools, for instance?

Claire August 29, 2016 6:23 am

Jorge — I thought of you when I saw that story. How great that you helped Grecia.

And how sadly typical that legislators would use Grecia as a nanny-state ploy. Gov-o-crats are alike all over the world, aren’t they? Sigh.

MamaLiberty August 29, 2016 7:07 am

It’s all such a convoluted mess that it’s hard to talk about in a lot of ways. The bottom line is the non-voluntary government that makes the “rules” and sets up the barriers, the monopolies and the counter incentives at every level. Without that, I doubt that the MSM, doctors and various “health” organizations would be able to stampede ordinary people hither and yon in a panic over butter, salt, or epi-pens. 🙁 The fact that more and more people are seeing the man behind the curtain and ignoring the hype is very hopeful, but it’s still bad.

As I see it, the problem isn’t the “tax breaks,” but the very idea of tax theft. If a drug company wanted to gift every “school” in the country with their product, no problem. The problem is the very idea of government “schools.” …the very idea of a “government” that can control everything like this.

Pat August 29, 2016 7:11 am

I read that Harvard drug article and was surprised it came from them. That drug monopoly has been going on for many years, and was an “open secret” in the medical supply field – as their prices kept increasing, services decreased and medical supplies as well as drugs became erratically available in some areas and during some years. With government intervention at the source, I’ve often wondered why VA hospitals didn’t get better supplies and service. But I guess once government has used and abused its [victims] fighting men, it no longer cares what happens to them.

A true free-market “monopoly” (based on better customer service which the competition can’t equal) is a rare and beautiful thing which encourages customer loyalty. I’ve seen one such company – A T & T years ago – go downhill fast, and another – Walmart – almost self-destruct (and may yet) after the owner died. Entrepreneurship, like liberty, has to be worked at to stay alive.

P.S: I tried to make [victims] a strikethrough but it didn’t show up that way. How do I make a strikethrough?

Claire August 29, 2016 8:40 am

Testing the strikethrough strikethrough function.

Strikethrough works for me, Pat. But there’s already a known problem with Firefox not being able to see bold or italic on this site. I wouldn’t be surprised if strikethough was also affected. We’ve tried to solve this in vain; it’s not solveable by any of the most common Firefox font fixes. I wondered if it had to do with the security settings a lot of us have in place, but that also seemed to be a false lead.

I’ve temporarily switched to Chromium for using the blog. But I can’t say I’d recommend that to anybody else. Will keep working on the problem.

Pat August 29, 2016 8:52 am

Thanks, Claire. It’s probably not that big a problem for me, as I doubt I’ll use it much. Others may, however.

16. knobster
    knobster August 29, 2016 9:47 am

Great article on the 12 reasons! I didn’t know about the 16-second breathing thing. Easy to remember which is key. My youngest daughter (she’s only 8) is easily panicked and I’ll be sure to use this the next time the tornado siren’s go off!

17. Shel
    Shel August 29, 2016 1:12 pm

It seems like there was a link once on the Living Freedom blog to an article that explained that isolated dwellings didn’t do well in truly hard times; the people that had the best chance of making it were in cooperative communities. I can’t remember what it was, though. Perhaps the blog’s signature author can do better.

18. Desertrat
    Desertrat August 29, 2016 1:55 pm

The cooperative community idea goes back at least to Mel Tappan’s day. If you really think that hard times are coming, you should already have become a valuable contributor to a small community. Helps to have folks who voluntarily watch your six.

As to the Redoubt, interviews are finding that one of the primary motivations is to escape the horror-shows that our monster cities have become. Same reason I moved to the desert for thirty years. I’ve read of no comments about uber-religious views; they sound like basically-normal churchgoers. I now live in the Bible Belt of south Georgia and have zero difficulty in having amicable relations with the folks here–which ain’t bad for a fella that’s only half-civilized at best. 🙂

19. Chuck
    Chuck August 31, 2016 2:53 pm

Thats Rawles vision of the redoubt.Food,shelter and ammo and you are set.You arent.You may be better off than a city dweller,or as Ferfal says,city dwellers better off,and he lived it.
    Redoubt is easy to overcome,thinking otherwise is fallacy.

If things muddle along,Redoubt would be great.SHTF,starvation,civil collapse…wont matter.They are as vulnerable as anyone to the evil-doers.