Midweek links

Claire September 21, 2016 8:11 am

WTF — agreed. I’ve already been in touch with some people trying to find out what’s going on. But I suspect we may never get the story.

I also suspect (but I stress, do not know) that this has something to do with Kit Perez’ announcement that she was leaving the III%.

Mike must be rolling over in his grave with Matt shutting down the site just months after his father entrusted Sipsey Street and his legacy to him.

Comrade X September 21, 2016 8:46 am

Methinks it “may” have more to do with this than meets the eye;

” And if the government is going to make of you a criminal, be the best one you can be.”

IMHO one day soon for those who have not already who believe that liberty is worth dying for will have to face that there is a “Crossing the Rubicon” moment in their life that must be made. Some may face this moment publicly and some will not but again IMHO Mike is looking down on Matt and blessing his every move, may God also bless him.

3. LarryA
    LarryA September 21, 2016 10:07 am

The mall stabbing reaction reminds me of the New Life Church incident. Jeanne Assam was always IDed as a “former police officer” (True-but from years before) or as a “security guard” (No. She may have been on her church’s security team, but she was not commissioned as a security guard, she was carrying with a license to carry).

[The issue demonstrated is only triggered when the web browser is used, and also required the car to be physically near to and connected to a malicious Wi-Fi hotspot.]
    Sounds like Tesla is running Windows 10. I had to turn off the “feature” of linking to every available hotspot.

I note the article on deteriorating communities is titled “How The Collapse Of American Community Has Fed Donald Trump,” as in the collapse caused him. Then it proceeds to blame him for making promises. Somehow, where the collapse came from only slips in unintentionally.
    For instance, “Labor unions, which once gave working class communities, especially those across the Rust Belt, a sense of solidarity and support, no longer provide that role. In many places, they’re simply gone—along with the manufacturing jobs of their erstwhile members.”

OTOH there are new forms of community blooming that these articles, which only look at geographical communities, overlook. Ours, for instance.

4. lineman
    lineman September 21, 2016 10:16 am

Why do you think I push for Community so hard…Things like this could be responded to by either defense or offense depending on the situation… No one would have to hide or shut down their passion… Time is growing short X don’t procrastinate to long;)

5. Jim B.
    Jim B. September 21, 2016 10:27 am

I have a question about the kid suspended over the knife found in his pack. Does the days of the suspension counts toward his “required” amount of days in the school year? Even though they, magnimously, cut it down to 30 days, I know that if the kid missed too many days, they may required him to be left back next year, which amount to the same thing.

6. M Ryan
    M Ryan September 21, 2016 11:34 am

Re the Tesla, that’s not a big surprise. Other access points for hacking are things like remote starters, remote door openers, those insurance drive monitors that plug into the OBD II readers and transmit data to the insurance company and lets not forget the ever popular On-star.

Nice story about the college BTW. I wish more colleges/universities would jump on this band wagon.

7. Sam in Oregon
    Sam in Oregon September 22, 2016 3:49 pm

“…3% of gun owners own 50% of the guns:”
    Really? I call BS on this. I expect that a large number of gun owners would tell any such survey to mind its own business. In this day-and-age, who would admit to owning firearms when it just makes you a target of the gubbmint?

Claire September 22, 2016 4:03 pm

Sam — You’re far from alone in calling BS on that one. Far as I can tell, half the gunblogosphere is doubled over in hysterical laughter.

This new survey kinda reminds me of Patricia Neill’s oldie but goodie, “How We Got the Data for the National Survey on Drug Abuse.”

(Gads, I miss Patty! I’m glad Bill St. Clair has archived all her old Wolfe’s Lodge writings https://billstclair.com/lodge/Neill.shtml.)

9. GIJeff
    GIJeff September 22, 2016 7:54 pm

I don’t know Matt, but there is only one thing I can think of that might cause him to shut down SSI so suddenly and without notice or discussion and that’s if it were compromised in some way. This assumes he’s anything like his father, which isn’t a foregone conclusion, but it’s more likely than not.