Bigger than the moon landing! Bigger than the SuperBowl!

So. ‘Bout those debates. Are you going to watch tonight (or depending on when you read this, did you watch)?

Tonight’s debate is supposed to be BIG. BIG. BIG!!! About the only thing it hasn’t been billed as “bigger than” is the second coming of Christ. And yeah, I can see how in this suddenly close race, people might want to tune in to see if Trump says something outrageous or really does invite Gennifer Flowers. Or see if Hillary collapses on the stage, babbling in tongues. And gosh, maybe some people would even watch in hopes of, you know, learning something about the candidate’s positions on issues. Could happen.

But me? Political junkie though I am, I can’t bear to listen either to their voices or their lies. Not watching.

Still, wake me up if Hillary hacks up a lung or has a particularly dramatic aneurysm.

1. John
    John September 26, 2016 4:02 pm

Shorter debate:

Video

2. John
    John September 26, 2016 4:08 pm

(smaller or link only would be swell)

Claire September 26, 2016 4:40 pm

“(smaller or link only would be swell)”

Hm. I thought we’d set WP so that it wouldn’t launch videos from cut-and-pasted links. Must look into that.

4. He Who Fakes It Well
    He Who Fakes It Well September 26, 2016 4:47 pm

It looks like the latest WP update affected Disable Embeds. For now, I edited the comment to make it a link.

Claire September 26, 2016 4:52 pm

Thank you, HWFIW! Sigh. They should tell you when they’re going to screw up your plugins. Really …

6. Bill T
    Bill T September 26, 2016 5:33 pm

Nope, no way, new season of Longmire on Netflix, couple of episodes while I putter around on my work bench then off to bed.

Claire September 26, 2016 6:03 pm

And weird thing. Although the debates clearly need a cute cat video like that to improve them … right on that cat video page is a video (in the sidebar) accusing Hillary of being a clone that’s breaking down. Okaayyyyy ….

8. John
    John September 26, 2016 6:27 pm

Some good debate outcome already. Little glitch gets a fix and a fun kitty video!

If Flowers shows up and Hillary starts babbling in tongues well, I can wait to here about that for a few days. I’m expecting the best comedy from after action reports.

9. Shel
    Shel September 26, 2016 6:29 pm

I was going to watch the debate, but the first question included a statement that there has been job growth for six years and record income (or vice versa), but there has been increasing income inequality. Then the moderator asked what the candidates’ plans were. Hillary started talking about her two year old grand daughter and said so she thinks about these things. It was either regurgitate or leave, so I turned the TV off and went walking with my dog. It was an O.K. walk 🙂

10. Kent McManigal
    Kent McManigal September 26, 2016 6:42 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever watched a debate, and I’m not about to start now.

11. Sam in Oregon
    Sam in Oregon September 26, 2016 7:09 pm

In the interests of matrimonial harmony, I agreed to watch the debate tonight and hoped Trump would at least attempt to conduct himself in a sane, coherent manner. (For the record, my better half is pro-Clinton whereas I can’t stand Clinton or Trump.) However, true to form, Trump started bouncing off the walls, talked over RHC any number of times, and acted like a bully at which point Lester Holt quickly lost control of the debate. Pleading nausea, I excused myself and left the room. If ever a man was intent on taking himself out of the running, Trump seems determined. I’m beginning to think he really doesn’t want the job and is doing everything he can to get himself “tossed off the field”. The GOP hierarchy must be going nuts trying to figure out how they can dump this loser.

12. Sam in Oregon
    Sam in Oregon September 26, 2016 8:56 pm

Clarification: I only managed to survive the first 20 minutes of the debate before I bailed!

13. John
    John September 27, 2016 12:42 am

“Pleading nausea, I excused myself and left the room”
    20 min. Nice…

Bunch a “no shows” after you and Shel, Sam.
    I perceive an “attitude” problem (guilty here)!
    Then, I hold out for the chance that some will suffer for the cause of enlightenment, and report later…

14. Ron Johnson
    Ron Johnson September 27, 2016 3:28 am

I was secretly rooting for Trump, but I was bitterly disappointed in him. Clinton put him on the defensive early and, being the narcissist that he is, he could not stop talking about himself and his company instead of going after Clinton for her warmongering, lying, scheming. He let her off the hook so many times in the first several questions that I couldn’t bear to watch it anymore.

It’s early in the morning the next day, but there is relatively little chatter on most websites concerning the ‘debate’. I wonder what that means.

15. Bill St. Clair
    Bill St. Clair September 27, 2016 5:35 am

I watched the first episode of the new Fox show “The Exorcist” and the season 2 opener of “Lucifer”.

MamaLiberty September 27, 2016 5:55 am

What “debate?” I read the last of “The Cat Who Ate Cheese” and turned off the lights to sleep about 8 PM, my usual bedtime. Oh…I have not had a TV for 30 years either. That might have something to do with it. 🙂

A pox on all their houses.

17. Fred
    Fred September 27, 2016 6:14 am

Here’s what happened. They both want stop and frisk, at gunpoint, under color of law, for your own good, absent cause, or else. They both want secret black lists of people who have committed no offense, under color of law, at gunpoint, absent cause, or else. The first secret black list is for people who will be denied freedom of movement when attempting to enter into a private contract to transport them and a small amount of property to point B. The second secret black list of your friends and neighbors by your other neighbors will contain those whom the modern witch doctors of mental health have said need to be “believed” to be dangerous, without evidence.

And all these people will be denied access the G-d given, natural, inherent ability to utilize the common tools of defense of oneself and one’s property, at gun point, for their own good, under color law, by your neighbors, absent cause, or else.

The rule of law is dead. America is dead. Prepare!

18. enlightened rogue
    enlightened rogue September 27, 2016 6:36 am

I was really hoping this morning I would wake up to view a video of Killary collapsing or at the very least, “hacking up a lung.” But no such luck. Now, I have this feeling of overwhelming doom.

Comrade X September 27, 2016 9:04 am

Instead of wasting time watching the debate, I made up on some lost time at the range (Claire’s fault BTW!) and then had a very good martini right after, went to bed and felt good when I woke up this morning!

I’ve already made my mind up; None of the above! And am prepared to stand against which ever one is elected once they start down the unconstitutional paths they both will be taking.

20. M
    M September 27, 2016 11:29 am

The feelings of doom and gloom are pretty strong during this election cycle. The 5 minutes of it I watched only further solidified what I’m calling “extreme defensive voting.”

Clinton has a crapload of terrible ideas, and some really frightening ones. She’s DEFINITELY going to go after my means of defense (while her base cheers her) before going after my bank account, making sure my daughters are properly “liberated” and “educated,” and actively working to further socialize a healthcare system that has cost me (a healthy, 30-something man) double what it did 3 years ago. By the time the decision as to how hard I might need to fight back is being made, I may be in the unenviable situation that many 40+ y/o Canadians with minor injuries find themselves in – Disallowed from paying for their own care, and not allocated any. And all of this will be cheered on by the Dems and her base.

Trump is equally frightening in minorly different ways. If he holds true to his current form (unlikely, but possible), LGBTQ+ people and anyone not Christian (or maybe Jewish) are going to have a harder time. We may or may not get the screws with respect to healthcare.

They BOTH want stop-and-frisk. They will ruin us monetarily. They both will destroy foreign relations, though in different ways.

But people from both sides will call out Trump on the worst of his infringements. The very ones calling for Clinton to take my guns would happily support my arming / armed defense of minority individuals.

So screw it. I’d rather have incompetent evil government than competent evil government. If Clinton is somehow polling less than 5% over Trump in the MA polls prior to the election, I’ll hold my nose and vote Trump. If not, I’ll vote Johnson in the hopes that the Republican party gets the message or is hopelessly fractured.

Incrementally Better – Johnson
    Status Quo to Incrementally Better – Trump
    The Republic is Lost – Clinton

21. Desertrat
    Desertrat September 27, 2016 4:36 pm

Atlanta beat New Orleans.

FWIW, I haven’t read of any hard questions that should have been asked. But, didn’t figure there would be–which is why I skipped the squabble.

22. E. Garrett Perry
    E. Garrett Perry September 28, 2016 12:02 pm

I avoided the debate. My liver would never have survived.