Weekend links

• Uber is now tracking customers after they’ve closed its app. But not to worry; it’s for your own good. (Close app, turn off phone, remove battery — if your battery is still a removable one.) (H/T MJR)
  • Can’t afford to rent your very own malicious botnet (per last links)? Well, there’s always this $50 USB killer. It’s not perfect; but for mere couch-cushion change, what do you expect?
  • It’s truly a human tragedy that this type of humane research on psychoactive drugs has been curtailed for so many decades. Thanks, War on Drugs.
  • Hillary’s “corrupt establishment” is now Donald’s board of economic advisors.
  • The Frontier Plus stove for tents and small cabins (H/T MJ). And various Amazon variations on that theme, some of them much more budget-minded.
  • Joel-the-Hermit’s lifesaving coin jar. Even if you don’t need spare coins to save your life, they still accumulate amazingly quickly and come in amazingly handy.
  • Per Shel in comments, here’s a jailbird with a jail bird.
  • Mad dog alert!

1. Bear
    Bear December 3, 2016 1:26 pm

I guess they’re aiming for the overpaid/undereducated urban camper market, if they’re charging $480 for an unstable version of a $70 camp stove that’s been around for decades.

Pat December 3, 2016 3:29 pm

What Bear said. Am not sure I’d trust a stovepipe sticking through a hole in the tent anyway, no matter how big a flue. There are safer ways to get heat into a tent. And that’s a big tent it’s being installed in; a smaller one might be less safe.

I’m not surprised at Trump’s “corporatism”–I have long thought he plans to run the country like a business. There are times he sounds almost decent and caring, but I suspect it will last only as long as it’s pragmatically productive to get him what he wants.

Even his approach to Taiwan is politically questionable. (But he likes to keep people guessing and off-balance.) Taiwan has no control over China, and it’s better to deal with China directly in order to keep track of what it’s doing. Of course, Trump can deal with Taiwan, too, and perhaps trade more with it, but to play one against the other is to stir up a hornet’s nest wherein only Taiwan will get stung–and we could end up in a (Cold, if not Hot) war with China.

3. Jim B.
    Jim B. December 3, 2016 3:36 pm

I’d call those “Sucker Stoves”, not only due to the dumb three legged design but also and mainly due to the prices of those tri-legged stoves. I’ll take the OLD but sensible 4 legged stable stove for about $70, thank you very much.

As for the USB killer, I found out about that when I was exploring YouTube on my Firestick. Interesting.

Oh, it may interest you to know that NYC is doing a bit of “social engineering”, Be interesting to see how New Yorkers will cope if no non-governmental vehicles is allowed on the island at all. (How will they cope with the lack of goods, as well as people trying to move on and off the Manhatten island.) Trust me, that will be exactly how the Bloomie people want it.

4. Desertrat
    Desertrat December 3, 2016 4:13 pm

Three legs are superior on uneven ground. No wobble means items on top won’t slosh or slide. The metal shroud in roofs or walls have worked for many a decade. (In a fixed-wall cabin, I’d go through the wall with a double-ninety-degree stove pipe.)

Everybody is different about cancer worry. I went through the major cancer deal and was mostly a stand-up comedian when I was at the oncology clinic. I felt concern for the staff, given their having to work with scared patients and relatives and some in dire pain. No way I could work there.

5. larryarnold
    larryarnold December 3, 2016 5:02 pm

For decades, it’s been, “There’s no proof these dangerous drugs have any beneficial uses.” Of course there isn’t, since they blocked all the research that might have found them.

in those cases, the only real defence is physically capping ports or educating people to never insert unknown hardware.
    Good luck with the “educating” solution. “Look! I found a Darth Vader flash drive! I wonder what’s on it?”

6. M Ryan
    M Ryan December 3, 2016 8:25 pm

I remember seeing that camp stove when it was first introduced as a kickstarter project. While I’m sure it is very nice and high quality, the target price is for the urban hipster pretend to rough it camping crowd not for me.

When I first read the Uber tracking you story I was very disappointed in them no matter the motive being tracked is a non starter with me.

All I gotta say about the “mad dog alert” is… nice…

7. Laird
    Laird December 4, 2016 1:36 pm

Frankly, I don’t really understand the purpose of that USB killer. Unless you’re seriously into monkeywrenching, and plan to sneak into government (or whatever) offices and surreptitiously stick one into a computer you find there (and then stick around long enough to take it away with you once it’s done its job), what’s the point? Now, if someone could invent a device which reaches out and fries a computer which is trying to sneak into mine (for surveillance, or to install malware, or some other nefarious purpose), that would be worth having. But this thing? Why?

As to Trump’s cabal of economic advisors, I’m not surprised but I am disappointed. I would expect him to rely, to a significant extent, on people he knows, trusts, and respects; any one of us would do the same. And it would be silly not to solicit input from the leaders of some of the nation’s largest companies and funds. But I would have hoped for a bit more diversity of opinions, and some more representation of small business and non-mainstream academia (I’m specifically thinking of Austrian school economists, such as Don Boudreaux at George Mason Univ.). Of those on his list, the only choice I really like is Kevin Warsh, although Jack Welch has his merits. Trump could have done better,