The loooooong New Years Eve

2016 is finally — almost! — over. But just because this has been such a fun, fun, FUN year, they’re giving us all a little more time to enjoy it.

So. What are you going to do with your extra “leap second” tonight?

I think I’ll eat fried Cheerios, enter a mildly altered state, and watch Altered States (courtesy of Netflix).

How ’bout you?

Then here’s something sensible you can resolve to do tomorrow. This resolution will probably be even easier to break than the standard ones about losing weight, quitting bad habits, and generally being a better person.

MamaLiberty December 31, 2016 5:35 am

I’m an old fuddy-duddy party pooper, so I don’t have plans for anything but the usual routine. Eat supper, read in bed for a while, lights out at 7PM. An extra second of sleep won’t be noticed. 🙂

I don’t make “resolutions” for new years or any other time. I make a “to do” list each day, and plug away at it the best I can. And sometimes I even manage to do everything I’ve listed. 🙂

2. rochester_veteran
    rochester_veteran December 31, 2016 6:18 am

For the last several years, my wife and I have spent New Year’s Eve hunkered down at home in our PJs. Of course, we’ve prepared in advance and did our grocery and spirits shopping yesterday. We’re having jumbo shrimp (an oxymoron! 🙂 ), little cocktail weenies in a wonderful beer sauce that my wife makes, dill and rye bread dip served up in the hollow of a loaf of rye bread, Wisconsin cheese, that our in laws sent to us, with crackers. We usually watch Rockin’ New Year’s Eve (miss Dick Clark though!) on TV to see the ball drop in Times Square while we toast the New Year in with some Asti Spumante. Our daughter and her husband, older son and his girlfriend are joining us for traditional New Year’s dinner of pork loin, sauerkraut and smashed potatoes with a heavy helping of football! Happy New Year, Claire and All!

Comrade X December 31, 2016 6:43 am

Champagne with friends & family, the only question is whether I will be celebrating at east coast or west coast time.

May your neighbors respect you,
    Trouble neglect you,
    The angels protect you,
    And heaven accept you.
    In many years yet to come!

4. larryarnold
    larryarnold December 31, 2016 9:03 am

For many years, when I volunteered with family violence/sexual assault organizations, I would spend New Year’s eve on call, so the other folks could party. Notsomuch any more.

We’ve been renting a movie and making popcorn. But our Hastings went belly-up this year, so that’s out. We’ll just pick from our own collection.

Yeah, Netflix. Haven’t got into that yet.

Tomorrow? I have a new Ruger Mark IV, and my N-Y-Resolution is to get to know it well enough to teach with.
    It’s a hard job, but someone has to do it.

But right now my wife is taking me and a gift card shopping for a new pair of boots.

5. coloradohermit
    coloradohermit December 31, 2016 2:07 pm

If we were even remotely ambitious, we could drive a block to see the fireworks they set off on Pikes Peak. the first set are at 9:00, but we won’t even consider that one, let alone the midnight show. I’ll make a traditional new year’s eve pizza for dinner and that’ll be about all the excitement we’re up for. 😉

6. M Ryan
    M Ryan December 31, 2016 2:45 pm

Our plans for this evening have been altered by mother nature. We were going to visit some old friends in the semi big city but it’s been snowing all day. The snow means the driving conditions will suck. Add to the nasty roads the drunks that will be out and the cop spot checks that will be looking to catch the drunks and I’m going to stay home. It will be an evening with just the two of us, some snacks and hot Monte Cristos. If you are interested here is how they are made:

In an Irish coffee mug pour…

1 oz Kahlua coffee liqueur,
    1/2 oz Grand Marnier orange liqueur,
    fill the mug with hot coffee, and add
    1 1/2 oz whipped cream

Happy New Year to you Claire and to all who read this blog.

Pat December 31, 2016 5:22 pm

For years I enjoyed a small jar of Vita brand Herring in Sour Cream with cheese and crackers, followed by Asti Spumante at midnight on New Year’s Eve. I have since dropped the Asti, and now the stores in my area no longer carry the herring, so I will go to sleep early after some Salmon Paté. https://www.john-west.co.uk/recipe/easy-salmon-pate (Garnish with pecans or almonds, parsley or chives.) For some reason fish has always been a “good luck” snack for me while ringing in the new year, but I don’t know where that started.

Happy New Year, everyone!

8. jed
    jed December 31, 2016 5:35 pm

I’ll probably watch Mockingjay, part 1, drink some Stella Artois and eat some popcorn. It’s probably too late, but I guess I’ll have to check whether comet 45P/Honda–Mrkos–Pajdušáková is visible.

9. Ron Johnson
    Ron Johnson January 1, 2017 7:55 am

My wife and I watched “When Harry Met Sally”, which if you’ll recall climaxes on New Year’s Eve. It’s a tradition we have stuck to for umpteen years. It still ranks as one of the funniest movies I have ever seen. This year was particularly poignant because some of the best lines are delivered by Carrie Fisher (RIP).

Now we’ve got to find our copy of “Singing in the Rain” to see Debbie Reynolds (RIP) in all her glory.

BTW, a couple of decades ago my wife worked for a production company in St Louis that put on a yearly “women’s” event. One year, the guest speaker was Debbie Reynolds. She apparently gave a very funny speech, but more significantly is that after the event, she sat around with the crew (including my wife) and chatted. Very open, friendly, funny, and genuine. My wife was deeply impressed.

So yesterday when I stumbled on a cartoon, I showed it to my wife and she nearly started crying. It depicted, from the back, Debbie Reynolds holding a small girl’s hand as they walked toward a bright light, saying “Don’t worry, Mommy’s here.”

Damn, I’m tearing up right now.

10. R.L. Wurdack
    R.L. Wurdack January 1, 2017 8:11 am

I’m pretty sure the extra second is an Obummer conspiracy to add to his time in office.

11. Laird
    Laird January 1, 2017 9:26 am

I’m still chuckling over eating “friend” cheerios.

Anyway, last night I watched (most of) a tape of “That’s Entertainment” (one of my favorites; I sit there with a stupid grin on my face through most of it), then a few minutes before 12 I switched to one of the networks to watch the ball drop, then I went to bed. I’m such a party animal!

Claire January 1, 2017 11:06 am

“Friend Cheerios.” Arrrrrrrgh! I hope you’re the first person who noticed that because otherwise everybody’s been seeing it and snickering behind their hands, too polite to point my goof out to me.

FWIW, I love That’s Entertainment. And old MGM musicals. And I’m dying to see La La Land when it makes it to DVD. But I agree, that’s about it for serious partying.

I did watch Altered States last night, but sans Cheerios or any personal altered state. Dumbest damn movie I ever voluntarily sat all the way through. And I see what Joel said when he could never take William Hurt seriously after that. The combo of Paddy Chayefsky’s pseudo-intellectual scriptwriting and Ken Russell’s weird-ass sensationalistic directing was assuredly NOT made in heaven. The low-budget 36-year-out-of-date special effects were a bonus, as was the blindingly stupid plot.

MamaLiberty January 1, 2017 11:27 am

I saw that. 🙂 No snickering at all… just a smile. And I knew perfectly well what you meant.

Claire January 1, 2017 11:35 am

Thank you very much for that, ML. And Happy New Year!

OTOH, if I were the low-rent version of Hannibal Lecter, I suppose I actually could munch on “friend Cheerios.” LOL!

15. larryarnold
    larryarnold January 1, 2017 1:55 pm

Friend Cheerios

I actually missed the “friend,” and read it as “fried Cheetos,” which would alter your state.

And I call myself an editor.

Claire January 1, 2017 2:52 pm

“And I call myself an editor.”

And I call myself a writer!

17. jed
    jed January 1, 2017 3:18 pm

No love for Altered States?

Phhhbbbbttttt!

It’s been done worse. e.g. the Threshold episode of Star Trek: Voyager. And that’s not the only de-evolution episode in the Trek universe.

I’ve willingly sat through far worse movies. Want some recommendations? Just let me know. 🙂

Claire January 1, 2017 4:47 pm

“I’ve willingly sat through far worse movies. Want some recommendations? Just let me know.”

Ummmm, no thanks. I admit I’ve rented worse movies. Or paid to see worse movies in a theater. But those I either pulled out of the DVD player or walked out on. This is just the most godawful, dumb, pretentious, prepostrous, Ken Russellish film I ever sat all the way through.

Joel January 1, 2017 5:55 pm

Claire, re: Altered States…

It occurs to me that I badmouthed William Hurt a bit unjustly.

Have you watched Dark City lately? It’s got its dumb moments too, but Hurt is excellent.

Claire January 2, 2017 8:43 am

r_v — I’ve been reading about that. What a disgrace. And what a commentary on “talent” that singers now routinely lip-synch performances and can’t perform at all if an electronic device in their ears fails. Seems Carey’s people are blaming the Dick Clark people, who are in turn saying that the failed device in question was entirely the responsibility of the Carey crew.

Petty stuff, but possibly more entertaining than her performance might have been.