Rushing to keep up with everything links

• How can Piers Morgan be such a flaming eejit on guns when he talks so much sense about other subjects? On this particular horror he speaks truth. You damn betcha that was a hate crime, and though I don’t believe in special categories of crime that necessitate guessing at someone’s mindset, there’s no doubt whatsoever of the mindset here.
  • A call for Obama to free the “godfather of grass.”
  • Even Vanity Fair, which reflexively accepts that Donald Trump is “the enemy,” knows knows the Dems are in absurd denial about why they’ve suddenly become a gigantic pack of losers.
  • Leaving for Las Vegas because of California’s new minimum wage law. One business. Most likely the whole low-margin industry.
  • Sweden’s charming economic experiment didn’t work out so well, either.
  • So why does the WaPo go on publishing fake news about Russian hackers? Because it’s trying to manipulate government, of course. But also because fake reporting is highly profitable for it.
  • Oh boy. I can’t wait for this to go on the market. Anti-surveillance fabric. I’m envisioning wallpaper, curtains, tee-shirts, baseball caps, posters, scarves, and a multitude of other ways to “give facial-recognition cameras too much of what they’re looking for.” (H/T LN)
  • Okay, dog fans. This goes beyond cute.

1. uscitizen
    uscitizen January 5, 2017 4:37 pm

Piers Morgan is a puzzle alright.

“A riddle, wrapped in a mystery, inside an enigma” (via W.S. Churchill) perhaps?

2. Brad R
    Brad R January 5, 2017 6:22 pm

Actually, I’ve always thought Piers Morgan was a flaming eejit on many subjects. I’m surprised when he’s right about anything.

3. larryarnold
    larryarnold January 5, 2017 6:48 pm

Morgan’s point seems to be that this hate crime happened in Chicago because the federal government hasn’t done to the rest of the U.S. what the Chicago City Council has so completely done to Chicago.

Claire January 5, 2017 8:06 pm

Alas, larryarnold, you’re right. I missed that bit buried way down there in the article. I wonder why Morgan is so unable to see the obvious point you just noted.

So Brad R, you’re still correct about Morgan. He manages to be an eegit even when he’s almost verging on being right about something.

Pat January 6, 2017 4:14 am

I wonder if Chicago’s attitude and responses will change after Obama is out of office? He has made “The racial is political” a battle cry, and political correctness (and his position as President) a means of cutting off denial or challenge. Cops and politicos know what “hate crime” is, but won’t call it that while their Top Boss is in the White House. Also true of any city or entity that plays political “follow the leader.”

(Sanctuary cities are in the same position now. And academia, too. Will their attitudes “change” when Trump gets in office? That’s really why they’re angry, it’s not just about their socialist ideology. They are being exposed right and left [no pun intended], and have no defense when they try to justify a 180-degree turnaround.)

6. Bob
    Bob January 6, 2017 8:03 am

Hate crime is a crock. If there is a crime, deal with that. No hate crime needed. If there is not a crime, don’t try to legislate against my thought or speech. Hate crime legislation is an attack on my freedom to think or say what I want. We’re in the water and the temperature is rising.

7. Shel
    Shel January 6, 2017 9:08 am

I see hate crime legislation as simply a manifestation of Orwell’s Thought Police. An interesting aspect of this case to me is it became national news; perhaps Drudge Report had a lot to do with that. Some years ago there was a case in Tennessee where some blacks tortured and murdered a young white couple, but the media downplayed it. Someone else was shot and killed for flying a Confederate flag on a pickup. The knockout game, I think it was called, where the epitome of success was a “one hitter quitter” seemed largely black on white. While black on black crimes may even be more in number (because of opportunity), black on white certainly seems epidemic. We’ll see if any serious discussion on the subject ensues. I’m personally not all that optimistic.

Pat January 6, 2017 9:27 am

Sorry, Shel, but it’s not an “epidemic” — maybe “copy cat” or “monkey see-monkey do” — but “epidemic”” is an over-used word, and most especially by the media. Please don’t be influenced by their wording.

Claire January 6, 2017 11:36 am

“Hate crime is a crock.”

Absolutely. It’s Orwellian thoughtcrime. But it’s also pretty interesting that this type of crime lefties cooked up to punish eeeeeevil white redneck males is actually more often committed by the very people they thought needed the protection.

10. jed
    jed January 6, 2017 3:17 pm

CO passed a minimum wage law too. So far, haven’t seen any big news about businesses leaving, but I’ll bet Magpul could be having a little moment of schadenfreude. I have seen a couple articles about how businesses, particularly restaurants, are going to cope. I’ll guess a sort of synergistic situation could be coming into play, where people will want to move here, because of the wage laws, but those low-end positions won’t be showing much, if any growth.

This is consistent with the notion that the Progressives actually want to have more people on public assistance, which they believe helps enlarge their base.

11. Steve.R.
    Steve.R. January 7, 2017 1:52 am

Piers suffers from that same malady every Englishman I have ever know suffers from. He believes that a staunch sense of fair play combined with reasoned intellect can accomplish virtually ANYTHING.

Brits tend to wake up after a few tens of thousand of them are slaughtered. Then they get with the program. Until it’s over, then they toss aside their hero’s, and go back to “what’s all this then”.