Is news of Trump always news of the weird?

Yesterday evening, BuzzFeed and CNN, but especially BuzzFeed, went live with a scad of “unverified and possibly unverifiable” documents claiming to be from Russia, damning Trump, and containing material that could have been right out of Penthouse or Hustler.

Turns out the fedgov (FBI? CIA?) and the media (?) have had these documents for at least year without being able to verify them. Or without being interested enough to try. But now their goriest details are “news.” Even though Internet tricksters claim they made up the grossest stuff for the LULZ. Or as “fan fiction.” (H/T M for the links)

Well, no doubt the alleged tricksters are getting LULZ out of this — but at whose expense it’s hard to say. “Journalism” sure has come a long way from the days when cigar-smoking male reporters covered up the peccadillos of cigar-smoking male presidents with a collegial wink-wink-nod-nod. All members of the same philandering old boys’ club, dontcha know. And damn good thing we’re no longer in that benighted state. But holy cra*p, we’ve also come a long– looooooooong! — way down since Watergate or even the Lewinsky “meaning of ‘is'” scandal.

You know I have no warm, fuzzy spot in my heart for The Donald. His biggest virtue is that he’s NOT HILLARY. But these lower-than-National-Enquirer “journalists” determined to sling the lowest-quality mud at the pres-to-be … they’re probably accomplishing nothing except to make themselves look more fringe-y while drawing the sympathy of millions of “middle” Americans more and more toward Trump.

A pox on all their houses.

MamaLiberty January 11, 2017 10:54 am

A pox on all of them, for sure. Right now I’m far more worried about the fat cat politicians now meeting in Cheyenne, Wyoming. They are talking about some insane shit that could really screw up my life. Nothing I can do about either one, of course. sigh

Comrade X January 11, 2017 11:40 am

IMHO one of the biggest enemies of liberty today is our current Fifth Estate, methinks there are many people (and growing) who do not tune into them any more but why is this; mainly because it’s seems to me many in the media find pushing their agenda is much more important than seeking out the truth & reporting on it. The really sorry part of it is our media today has become a double edge sword cutting down the truth from both the left and right in the name of their agendas.

I always liked those bumper stickers that said “Question Authority” to me they meant not just the authority of “the man” but also those who think they know what is best for the rest which is well represented today not only in government but also in the current 5th estate on both sides.

The choices someone makes plays a huge part in ones search for individual liberty if we truly intend to seek it and not choosing to listen to or be swayed by those you believe to be lying IMHO is not a bad choice if you are to be successful.

BTW I didn’t tune into to the Obama farewell just because of that, nor will I listen to Trump’s upcoming speech in 9 days either.

3. kentmcmanigal
    kentmcmanigal January 11, 2017 11:41 am

Claire January 11, 2017 12:04 pm

“I’m wondering if Trump is antifragile and these things only help him in the long run.”

I think that’s true. His attitude definitely helps him cement his base, but it does appear that the MSM is throwing itself repeatedly against one hell of a heavy rock when it tries to desperately to attack Trump.

5. Shel
    Shel January 11, 2017 12:10 pm

Linked on Drudge Report today: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4108960/How-Trump-s-nemesis-John-McCain-kicked-Kremlin-memo-scandal-handing-dossier-FBI-sending-emissary-abroad-collect-it.html I think McCain deserves a tremendous amount of credit for what he did in the service. He even was self-effacing, saying it didn’t take a lot of skill to get shot down. As a politician, IMHO, he has proven himself a certifiable POS for far too many reasons even to attempt to put in a comment.

Our politics is starting to look like a very bad movie. https://watchdownload.com/watch-movie-online-download/watch-mondo-bizarro-online-stream-download-mondo-bizarro-1966-full-movie-free/

Trump, honestly, is looking smarter and better to me all the time. We’ll have to wait and find out what we get. I also firmly believe the “progressives,” if given the chance, absolutely would put the survivors of us in the purported FEMA camps, with our very own American styled gulag.

6. StevefromMA
    StevefromMA January 11, 2017 1:07 pm

Look at it this way, Obama has only nine more days to corner Putin in LithuanIa and start WW3. Just cross your fingers.

Comrade X January 11, 2017 1:11 pm

Well it did help him in the primaries IMHO, the riots at his campaign rallies was a plus in energizing his supporter & methinks did swing some swing voters, of course having one of his campaign rallies just before super Tuesday at a liberal Chicago Univ would have never been meant to perpetrate that results, don’t ya know.

8. Grant Davis
    Grant Davis January 11, 2017 2:11 pm

What credit should McStain get for the sailors he killed with the Forestall incident? Always has been a POS.

9. SKSK
    SKSK January 11, 2017 2:23 pm

My goodness…seems to me like the return of “yellow journalism’ !

10. larryarnold
    larryarnold January 11, 2017 4:23 pm

How many times now have the Democrats, left and right coast liberals, and msm published this kind of sh*t, crowed “Well, that’s the end of The Donald,” and had to eat that crow when his ratings soared? Are they ever going to figure out that you don’t gain votes by p*ss*ng on the voters?

Claire January 11, 2017 6:05 pm

My goodness…seems to me like the return of “yellow journalism’ !

In more ways than one. All that talk in those fakey reports about “golden showers.” 😉

12. Desertrat
    Desertrat January 11, 2017 7:04 pm

An article today at Zero Hedge said that the 4Chan source for the golden shower was a deliberate trolling effort. They went fishing and caught a bunch of suckers.

The MSM is going banzai berzerkoid against Trump. They’ll urp out any fake news that might hurt him. I’m to the point where if it’s negative about Trump, I call it BS. Like the line from “Coca Cola Cowboy”: “You taught me how to say I just don’t care…”

McCain? As much of a war-monger as Hillary.

Comrade X January 12, 2017 8:58 am

Claire January 12, 2017 9:31 am

“Is a golden shower something you can do with one of those newfangled waterless hot water heaters?”

One sincerely hopes not.

Claire January 12, 2017 12:32 pm

Shel — Damn, that’s a scary article. So alarmist I’d doublecheck its claims before believing it. But multitasking is definitely a plague. I hated it in my 20s (even before all the modern hand-held distractions multitasking was the #1 thing I loathed about my one-and-only fast-lane job). I simply won’t do it at all now. But I suspect that simple web surfing, when done too addictively, also has an IQ-lowering effect as well as effects on memory and attention span.

Comrade X January 12, 2017 1:29 pm

Here’s my multitasking story;

When I was wet behind the ears and just starting out, I applied for a trainee position, minimum wage; BTW back then an hour’s work at minimum wage wouldn’t buy you a mocha at Starbucks today, while filling out the application I was also carrying on a conversation with that’s company’s Sales Manager, he said to me not to write down on the app what I was saying to him at that moment and I said heck I can fill this app out & talk at the same time, he said if that’s the case you got the job. Now that got me in the field that I am in even up to today, so multitasking definitely help me in my career even if it might be responsible for the brain damage most all my friends accuses me of having.

17. John
    John January 12, 2017 2:39 pm

“What credit should McStain get for the sailors he killed with the Forestall incident?”

I call foul here!
    Serious charge.
    I have been aware of the Forrestal fire since it occurred. Efforts to implicate McCain look a lot like political libel from well after the event.

Any not liking my source please proved better. No hearsay please, nor unsourced crap like the reference to the incident here:

18. Shel
    Shel January 12, 2017 4:56 pm

After I posted my comment about the Forrestal fire, I contacted a retired LEO friend who, if not directly involved, would have known a lot about the situation. The response was the entire event was confused and full of contradictions. Also, it should tell us “a great deal” that McCain’s father was Chief of Naval Operations at the time. Personally, after watching McCain as a politician, I don’t take a lot of convincing to have a negative view of him regarding this incident.

19. Desertrat
    Desertrat January 12, 2017 5:09 pm

I don’t recall the grimy details, but the negative story that I saw about McCain on the Forrestal included photos and comments by (allegedly) eye-witnesses.

But, stuff happens. My son’s job during Desert Storm included servicing F-15s/-16s “hot” in multi-plane revetments (a big no-no, for safety reasons). Life got exciting when a 500-pound bomb fell from the hooks. “Luck beats skill, any day.”