The pussy rally and other reasons to run and hide from the Internet

Had to take a few days off from the ‘Net. Too many angry people, too many crazy people, too many “interesting” people. You know how you get those spates of them sometimes. Then you return and everyone’s peaceful and sane for a couple of months. I hope.

I’m spending my break basking in reality. That is, not only mostly offline, but not in places that artificially pass for real. That is among other things, not in Washington, DC, where Jim Bovard took these very NSFW photos yesterday (and swears he didn’t deliberately go looking for the grossest signs).

I played a little kakuro on Bill St. Clair’s addictive new game site (there’s an app, too, but I don’t do apps). I took free introductory book-folding class. Yes, book-folding is a thing. I don’t know why its a thing. It produces some lovely craft works but it’s got to be the most boring activity since high school German class. Still, book folding was the only free organized offering in town yesterday, so who am I to complain?

Then this morning Ava and I went into town and walked and walked and walked and walked. We walked down streets and alleys we’d never visited before. We noticed (at least I noticed) the huge number of abandoned houses or houses with yards full of junked automobiles and just-plain junk. Behind one junker pickup truck and squeezed into a narrow lot sat a house I’d never seen; its facade couldn’t have been more than 12-feet wide — maybe 14 to be generous — but its long-ago builders had still managed to work in a dramatic bay window, the sort normally seen only on the big hill houses. That’s all there was on the front, a big bay window and a front door. No room for anything else. Would have been adorable if not for the trash in front of it.

We kept walking and walking. Walked by the waterfront and scared the seagulls away. Walked down alleys, then reversed to avoid roaming dogs. Walked through the parking lots of seafood processors and derelict restaurants. Walked past the old jail — nothing more than an exposed cage, really. Not even a building. But there’s it’s stood, nearly 150 years. Turns out its builders are still in business, and still building “correctional facilities.” (Though I’m quite sure nobody was ever “corrected” in that tiny cage built for our town. Most likely miscreants just stayed in there overnight until they’d either sobered up or gotten dragged out and hanged.)

We walked and walked because winter is no longer so bitter and because I didn’t want to go home and go back online. Now I’m just popping in to say hi and let you know I’ll return. Probably tomorrow. Tuesday if reality gets really appealing.

1. revjen45
    revjen45 January 22, 2017 10:41 am

Yup, nothing like a long walk as an anodyne for the soul.

2. rochester_veteran
    rochester_veteran January 22, 2017 10:45 am

I can relate, Claire, I’ve walked and walked through areas that you describe. The neighborhoods in the Rochester of my youth are much like that. Grandma and Grandpa’s house is now an empty lot. The dairy building is still there and now serves as a big garage. Lot’s of empty lots and trash in Northeast, Northwest and Westside Rochester. It’s sad!

3. Jim Bovard
    Jim Bovard January 22, 2017 10:46 am

Thanks for linking to my photos, Claire. Maybe some activists are belatedly waking up to the fact that the president has too much power.

On that old jail – it reminded me of the riff in Thoreau’s essay on Civil Disobedience – where he talks about his time in the Concord jail and the people he met. That was back before they had Tasers.

4. M Ryan
    M Ryan January 22, 2017 1:28 pm

These certainly are the times that try people’s souls. When I see the things going on on the news and on the web I just can’t help but remember what Woody Allen once said:

“More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.”

These next few years are going to be a heck of a ride.

5. Shel
    Shel January 22, 2017 2:22 pm

A neighbor is out of town, so I picked up the local rag (owned by the NYT) by the mailbox so the absence wouldn’t be obvious. The big headline is “Global Defiance” and is of course about the demonstrations. No other mention of Trump is on the front page, but they do have a blurb on a new Lady Antebellum release. It’s very hard to tolerate. If I need to do this again, I’ll just have to make sure I don’t open the thing up.

6. kentmcmanigal
    kentmcmanigal January 22, 2017 2:29 pm

Some day I may take photos of this town’s old jail- which is in the middle of 4th Street, or would be if the street didn’t curve (blindly and dangerously) around it..I think it’s just used for storage now; they have a big, shiny “Law Enforcement Center” with a presumably modern vengeance facility right beside the old jail now. The old jail probably only held one dangerous person during it’s use as a people cage.

7. coloradohermit
    coloradohermit January 22, 2017 4:18 pm

As if the sore losers aren’t bad enough, I’m getting real tired of the sore winners too. I haven’t unfriended anyone on F@ceb**k, but I’ve unfollowed a few.

8. trying2b-amused
    trying2b-amused January 22, 2017 8:01 pm

Jim Bovard @January 22, 2017 10:46 am:
    “Maybe some activists are belatedly waking up to the fact that the president has too much power.”

If you made the statement: “You shouldn’t want the president, or any other politician, to have any power you wouldn’t want your worst enemy to have” to any of the participants in that event, I strongly suspect that the most favorable – and least hostile – response you would get would be blank incomprehension.

9. Jim Bovard
    Jim Bovard January 22, 2017 8:12 pm

That’s probably true of most of the attendees. Most of the women I spoke with seemed utterly uncritical towards Hillary, liberal piety, and the march itself. One exception – a somewhat heavyset 50ish woman who I saw leaning up against a tree as the marchers passed by near the end of the event. I asked why she was there – she said ‘to express support for equal rights.’ I said that practically everyone except people living in Mississippi support equal rights these days. She said she was also ther to oppose Trump. I asked what she thought of Hillary – and, unlike almost everyone else I talked to, she ripped into her – esp. for bombing Libya, messing up Syria, etc. She was both well-informed and non starry-eyed as far as what marching & chanting could accomplish. She did not share the prevailing euphoria.

10. cm1
    cm1 January 23, 2017 6:37 am

It’s gonna hurt when the tape comes off those nipples 😛

11. Desertrat
    Desertrat January 23, 2017 7:29 am

Biology 101 says that men being fixated on women as sex objects is good for the continuation of the species. It’s certainly better than being fixated on door knobs.