Weekend links

• 9 Comments

1. Jorge
      Jorge February 12, 2017 4:19 pm

When I was a teenager I tried to build what I thought was a simple Rube Goldberg machine. Needless to say I failed. But it was a fun summer project.

I actually have made better handguns that the crap the English are turning in. Still frightening that people are complying with such nonsense.

I live in Costa Rica. Not so sleepy volcanoes are a fact of life. I am reminded daily by having to sweep up ash that has been spewing from Turrialba for the last few months.

The problem with the health care article is the premise that people are even vaguely cognizant that there are laws of economics. CR has “universal” health care. What this means in practice is that the rationing method used is “you just have -minor ailment- , here take this pill.” Every so often the papers report on the “scandal” of someone being told there was nothing wrong with them only to check with a private doctor and finding out they had cancer. In fact this actually happened to someone I know. The way to get treatment in the “universal” system is to go to a private doctor, who has good connections, and have him/her get you into the hospital ahead of the official queue. There are other methods as well, such as court cases (if you live long enough) but the official system, pretty much you will die. I call it allocation based on intelligence testing. If you are stupid enough to believe the myth, you die, if you have some brains, you get treatment.

Comrade X February 12, 2017 4:33 pm

I once saw a very neat exhibit about Rube at the Smithsonian’s Museum of History and Technology, here’s a little more history about Rube;

“In 1942, at the New York mansion of the American industrialist John Pierpont Morgan, crowds filed past a large mural titled “Automatic Hitler-Kicking Machine,” which depicted a complex and satisfying contraption involving a cat, a mouse, a stripteaser, and the Führer. It was the first solo exhibition of the inventor and cartoonist Reuben Lucius “Rube” Goldberg, who was, by then, already famous for designing overly complicated machines that fixed everyday problems with wit and madness. A decade earlier, in 1931, the Merriam-Webster Dictionary had listed “Rube Goldberg” as an adjective, defining it as “accomplishing by complex means what seemingly could be done simply.”….

3. david
      david February 13, 2017 4:45 am

Rawls’ case is scary. In the first place, it sounds like fishing. Second, the Fifth Amendment applies to all. Third the Fourth Amendment has to be followed also, so without something that amounts to probable cause existing outside his hard drives, he can claim 4th Amendment protection and not need the Fifth.

But the story kind of implies that the police have the probable cause. And while pretty much everybody wants to see kiddy pervs in prison, I hope that we all want the 5th Amendment to stand inviolate.

The part that bothers me is the incarceration over exercising one’s Fifth Amendment rights, which are supposed to protect us from being forced to confess to crimes not committed – presumably by torture, harsh interrogation or under threats. So inceration without evidence of the crime (if there was evidence would there not be a charge?), what is that? Clearly, it means there is already a Fourth Amendment violation as he’s jailed basically on suspicion. But it’s admittedly for the purpose of getting Rawls to drop his Fifth Amendment claims, so is it also some form of coercement / intimidation that the 5th Amendment was designed to protect us from? It would seem to me ‘yes’.

So, if this line of reasoning is faulty, somebody please show me where. I don’t have Constitutional Law training like a recent POTUS did so I could be wrong about some part of it all. Or maybe I missed something.

4. Ruth
      Ruth February 13, 2017 5:47 am

Wired doesn’t allow you to read their articles if you’re using an ad-blocker. They held the article hostage to try to force me to either whitelist them or pay them $1. Not happening. I’ve white-listed sites who use a police banner at the top of the page (please white list us, ads are what makes us money), but holding the article hostage just makes me not inclined to read their stuff

Claire February 13, 2017 6:26 am

Sorry, Ruth. That’s odd, too. I also use an ad blocker and I can read the article.

I share your attitude about articles being held hostage, but I’ve never known Wired to do that.

6. MacGregor K Phillips
      MacGregor K Phillips February 13, 2017 8:13 am

I had to white list it so I could read the article too.

7. Ruth
      Ruth February 14, 2017 5:57 am

That should have read “polite banner” not “police banner” on well.

8. Ruth
      Ruth February 14, 2017 7:10 am

Turning off Ghostery didn’t solve the problem, I had to turn off Privacy Badger in order to view the article. So yah, f* them.

Claire February 14, 2017 8:25 am

Really sorry, Ruth. And doesn’t that just take the cake that an article about preserving our digital privacy would demand that we give up some of ours?