Thursday links

• “My name is Julie Golob and I flinch.” A top competitive shooter explains how to overcome the dreaded flinchies.
  • This is the way it should be when a self-defender is temporarily gunless.
  • Browser fingerprinting. Oh lucky us. It can now be done even when we switch browsers.
  • Seattle — which gets nowhere near as much rain as people imagine — is about to break a rain record. (Everybody thinks the NorthWET gets colossal amounts of rain, and in some places (like, um, where I live) it does. But Seattle’s rain is roughly equivalent to New York’s. It just tends to fall slowly but steadily instead of in infrequent but dramatic bursts.)
  • This is the sort of black-and-white thinking that really, really bugs me (both inside and outside of libertaria). Just because someone (in this case a pair of very prominent people) asks for evidence of status-quo claims about vaccines does not make them “antivaxxers.” They are skeptics. Offering to finance an inquiry. What kind of benighted benighted mentality condemns skeptical inquiry?
  • When there are no consequences to the perpetrators cops will torture helpless people again and again.
  • Too bad this is just one teeny-tiny town. A judge says ALL speed cameras are unconstitutional and orders the local gov to repay all tickets. A higher court considers this so obviously correct it refuses to review. Nice to see the reign of speed cams and red-light cams collapsing. (H/T Wendy McElroy)
  • Remember not far back when the U.S. House v*ted to do away with Obama’s atrocious policy depriviving SS recipients of their self-defense rights merely for having someone else handle their finances? This week the Senate joined in.

1. rochesterveteran
    rochesterveteran February 16, 2017 8:53 am

Concerning speed and red light cameras, the Rochester, NY city government voted them in back in 2010. Red light cameras were touted to prevent accidents, but they were really revenue enhancers for the city’s coffers, to the tune of $800,000 and $1 million annually. The mayor recently rescinded the red light camera program, “Citing disproportionate impact on some of the city’s most impoverished neighborhoods”.

Mayor cancels red light camera program

Personally, I’ll take this decision by the mayor as a positive because I despise red light cameras. On the other hand though, the red light camera “extortion” probably would have continued if it only gouged those who are working class and above. So much for blind justice.

2. R.L. Wurdack
    R.L. Wurdack February 16, 2017 8:53 am

Hooray for the Senate! (Would Patty Murray and Maria Cantwell be two of the dipwit 43 perchance?)

Claire February 16, 2017 9:08 am

Re: Murray and Cantwell, I couldn’t access the government v*ting sites presumably because of the VPN I’m using (“access denied”). But HA, can you even imagine either of those lefty ladies v*ting FOR such a thing?

OTOH, in looking around, I discovered that the anti-gun ACLU was opposed to Obama’s policy (https://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=115&vote=00067) on due-process grounds and grounds of stereotyping people for mental-health issues. So miracles do happen.

Comrade X February 16, 2017 9:47 am

The lamestream media and the anti gun politicians they support is and will be doing a good job of saying whoever supported giving guns back to SS people as a vote really for giving guns to crazy people and thus putting all of us innocent people at risks, it has already started;

And I am sorry folks but this is what the unwashed masses will mainly hear.

Comrade X February 16, 2017 10:16 am

BTW I’m a flincher too and admitting it is halfway to overcoming it methinks.

There something else I am working on, That skill is the ability to call your shots, why would you ask is that so important mainly because it is just as important (moreso in my mind) to not hit the 7 year old down the road as for me to hit the intended target.

I must warn that this site does ask for your email to view it, which I’s don’t like, but their insights has out weight the sacrifice (of giving up my email for their newsletter) made for me at least. There’s no such thing as a free lunch you know.

6. ExpatNJ
    ExpatNJ February 16, 2017 1:22 pm

When some website DEMANDS ‘your’ e-mail address, give ’em a temporary one:

This website generates (for free) a completely valid e-mail address, capable of receiving messages, but only lasts 10 minutes, and then goes away forever. But, hey: whoever demanded your e-mail to begin with was not entitled it anyway!

BTW, I learned more about shooing in the (real) Boy Scouts 40 years ago than I learned in John Mosby’s article.

PS. Sorry for the venomous-sounding post. It’s Thirsty Thursday, after all …

Comrade X February 16, 2017 2:21 pm

ExpatNJ thanks for the email tip and as far as Mosby goes or anything or everything else for that matter everyone has a right to their opinion for sure.

I’s sure do hope you quench that thirst to your complete satisfaction.

8. James
    James February 16, 2017 2:55 pm

In the last 6 yrs I’ve loaded and shot over 31k rounds in IDPA, USPSA and 3Gun action pistol sports. Everyone has a natural flinch. This is overcome by continuous repeated shooting in learning what happens when one breaks a shot. Dry fire does help too.

Julie Golob is a well known champion who probably shoots over 3k rounds a week in training. Her advice is certainly valid. If you can get to the range right before a match and put a couple hundred downrange in a simulated match environment, you’ll fair much better.

9. Bob
    Bob February 16, 2017 3:02 pm

Just returned from the range. There are only three ways to cure a flinch, that I am aware of. None of them work.

10. Shel
    Shel February 16, 2017 6:31 pm

The Cornered Cat has a good article on flinching, too. http://www.corneredcat.com/article/the-shooting-basics/how-to-cure-a-flinch/ I remember reading one (can’t find it now, of course) that said for new shooters, if they have a flinch, to start holding the gun at waist level with their eyes closed. When they can do that without flinching, then sequentially progress to eyes open, then gun raised at eye level, then aimed fire. If the flinch returns, go back a step until it is gone. This should be done no matter how many rounds it takes, the article said, and will pay off in the long run.

On the Prepared Gun Owners site, the pop-up (on my screen, anyway) is large and mostly translucent. At the upper right corner of the pop-up, in the upper right part of the screen, there is a white “X.” Clicking on the “X” deletes the pop-up.

11. Desertrat
    Desertrat February 17, 2017 12:09 am

People at the last moment think of the cameras and instead of running through the orange light, they stomp the brakes.

Tends to ruin the radiator of the following car.

A quick brake-stomp forces the driver forward against the belt. The hit from behind then causes the head back, rapidly–so, whiplash.

This is a studied and reported problem with traffic cameras.

12. Stryder
    Stryder February 17, 2017 5:26 am

hmmm, practise to get rid of your flinch by shooting redlight cameras…..

13. Felinenation
    Felinenation February 17, 2017 12:49 pm

This is somewhat off-topic, but it sort of relates to out-of-control cops and quasi-cops.

Claire, I know you do animal rescue work, so I would be interested in your perspective on this. I also love and rescue animals (for me it’s cats), and I find it is getting scary how animal welfare is becoming a growth area for the police state.

A local, private cat rescue shelter has filed a lawsuit against the local Humane Society, the “official” rescue entity that has police powers, including humane agents that wear police uniforms. The private cat shelter was raided late last year by the Humane Society.

This is the actual lawsuit that was filed in federal court:

The allegations in the lawsuit are appalling. If true, and I suspect they are, the Humane Society is run by ruthless sociopaths who care nothing for animals but are primarily motivated by money. And the main motive for their raid was to shut down a competitor that was receiving more donations than they were.

Claire February 17, 2017 3:43 pm

jc2k — Great story!

15. John
    John February 17, 2017 4:02 pm

Flinching is an intelligence evidencing reflex acquired by those able to anticipate consequences. Being Neanderthal and little suffering of this affliction, my like know life is made awesome by the flash and the boom. It invokes our ancestors discovery of fire that they shared with the universe.