Housekeeping day. And keeping clam, too.

Today’s a housekeeping day. Not as in mopping the floor (though someone — I’d prefer not me — will have to do that eventually).

But housekeeping online. As in renewing domain names, cleaning out email folders, and uploading articles to the Cabal. Much of it is screen-sucking tedium. Ugh. Floor mopping is starting to gain a certain appeal.

That last part was good, though. I’ve just uploaded the first two of a four-part BHM series from2015-16 on turning my $10k house into a real home and will upload the other two in the next few days. So you Cabalistas who like DIY adventures (and truly it’s been an adventure) can enjoy. The articles are fun, IMHO, and there are lots of pix included in separate pdfs.

While I was hunting down house pix, I also snacked on crispy-cooked razor clams, courtesy of a neighbor’s weekend expedition to the beach. I have to laugh; as much as I love living near the ocean, I realized I’d not only never gone clamming and never cooked clams, but never even eaten them outside of a chowder.* A chowder prepared by some person NOT ME.

A neighbor gave me a gave me a very good recipe for broiling them. And I was pleased to discover that raw clams aren’t slimy; they’re more pleasant to handle than raw chicken. Even so, my first few bites of the finished product were a bit of an adjustment: “Eeew, that’s what clams taste like???” But after a while, I was hooked.

—–

So herewith, the recipe:

Clean and cut the necks off razor clams (or the clams of your choice)

Dip clam bits into egg, then into Panko (coarse) bread crumbs

Array on aluminum foil or parchment paper on a cookie sheet

Drizzle with melted butter

Broil three minutes per side, drizzling with more butter (if you wish) upon turning

I varied the broiler temp between high and low and cooked the clams until crispy brown. Mmmmm-good. Well, once I got used to what actual clams actually taste like when not buried in soup.

—–

* That’s not quite true. Right after I moved to the PNW, I did two obligatory things: visited Mt. St. Helens and went to a restaurant and ordered geoduck. Geoduck (pronounced, for no good reason, “gooeyduck”) clams … well, it’s not so much about how they taste. I don’t remember that at all. It’s what they look like. If you’re new in the PNW, somebody will dare you to eat one, probably while snickering obscenely at your innocence, and I wanted to get that taken care of first thing. But that was a long, long time ago.

MamaLiberty March 16, 2017 8:31 am

When I traveled across Canada about 30 years ago, a friend in Edmonton, Alberta challenged me to taste some roasted bear meat. It smelled very strong, but not “bad,” so I tried some. Greasy and strong, but edible. She said that the meat is better if the bear eats only berries and terrible if it eats only fish – far worse if it eats any carrion. Unfortunately, you just never know ahead of time. 🙂

Joel March 16, 2017 9:40 am

Yeah. I had a brother in law who ran a pack of raccoon dogs, Which meant that inevitably I’d learn what raccoon tastes like. To this day I hope it was just my sister’s cooking skills…

3. Laird
    Laird March 16, 2017 9:52 am

I can’t believe you’ve never eaten fried (deep-fried) clams. Howard Johnson’s used to be famous for them, but they’re available at any seafood restaurant. Very tasty.

I’ve eaten raw clams all my life. Just requires a little cocktail sauce. I like them much better than oysters.

4. Comrade x
    Comrade x March 16, 2017 1:09 pm

BHM series on turning my $10k house into a real home is very interesting and I am keenly waiting for the additional articles & photo’s.

ML mentioned how what something eats has a role onto how it tastes, there’s a popular TV series where a certain “kingdom” has to pay a tribute to a thug gang whereas they are paying them with slaughtered pigs, sure do wonder what that pork tastes likes when that kingdom is fattening those pigs with zombies!

5. Karen
    Karen March 16, 2017 1:34 pm

Like Laird, I have great memories of Howard Johnson’s fried clams. And back east there was an all-you-can-eat seafood chain called Chesapeake Bay Seafood House that served dynamite fried clams.

I cant wait to see the House projects articles. I seem to remember a lot of your work that you posted, but it’ll be cool to see it consolidated.

Claire March 16, 2017 3:07 pm

“I like them much better than oysters.” Given the choice between dogshit and oysters, I’d probably choose oysters, but I’d have to think about it. But nope, Laird and Karen, never had clams outside of a chowder. And yesterday’s broiled clams were very different. Different even than fried clams, according to the neighbor who gave me both the clams and the recipe.

And amen, ML and Comrade x! I remember when I lived in the midwest, duck hunting was a regular passion for half the men I knew. The ducks mostly ate grain back there. Here, we’ve got plenty of ducks but they spend their lives dining on fish and other fishy stuff and nobody wants to taste them.

Claire March 16, 2017 3:08 pm

And Comrade, I’m so glad to know you’re enjoying those articles. I hope to get the final two and their accompanying pictures posted to the Cabal articles page by tomorrow. Or Saturday afternoon. It’s nothing at all to post the articles. Tracking down and assembling the pix takes a while.