Weekend links

1. Scott
    Scott March 26, 2017 3:30 pm

As I recall, switchblades were outlawed because juvenile delinquents were shown using them in 1950s drive-in B movies. I’ve heard three stories on the origin of the switchblade, that they were designed for sailors, Victorian seamstresses, and paratroopers. Here (Kentucky), switchblades are legal to possess, but not carry (without a concealed carry license. Assisted opening knives are legal).
    Obamacare has “escape hatches” to avoid the penalty for not having insurance. If the cheapest insurance is around 10 percent of your income (or more), you can get a hardship exemption (you have to do this every year), it’s just another metric boatload of BS, and you won’t have insurance, but you avoid throwing $900 or so away.

Pat March 26, 2017 5:03 pm

I’m not convinced one can tell criminals from non-criminals by their faces. It’s a lot of guesswork, and every guess is a flip of the coin — which means a 50-50 chance of being right, *each time.*

Psychologists like to think they have an edge on reading people (and conduct all kinds of studies to prove it), but in truth their “ability” is based on probabilities and statistics — which doesn’t deal with the present or future, but with their past relationships with others.

I’ve studied criminals’ faces for clues in cases where I wondered, “Why would someone (the victim) have trusted that person in that situation?”, and it’s only hindsight that told me the perp was untrustworthy (i.e. a criminal in the making); I already knew he was a bad guy so I was able to read “criminal” into his face.

3. StevefromMA
    StevefromMA March 26, 2017 8:15 pm

Yes, and 60% is only 10% better than chance. Bogus research IMO. I’ve been a clinical psychologist for 40 years and have realized that, outside of a clinical setting, I am conned by certain types like anyone else, namely people whose jobs or criminal life require them to be interpersonally engaging. Think great sales people as a model. Also, I’ve found that people I immediately find likable and engaging, at least in a clinical setting, are usually narcissistic personalities. Outside, not as often. Trust your gut, we’ve evolved to pay attention on many levels.

MamaLiberty March 27, 2017 6:46 am

Situational awareness and consideration of more than mere facial expressions are obviously important to avoid being victimized. Context… body language, verbal and non-verbal clues of all kinds, and one’s own personal incentives and background as well. A “con-man” is able to victimize people by appealing to their baser nature, the desire for “something for nothing” – and closely related to the moral hazard we approach even when seeking a “bargain.” Fraud happens most often when the victim is eager for the bargain, and does not take due diligence, placing unexamined trust in the one who offers the bargain. This does not excuse the criminal or the con-man, of course, but if it is “too good to be true” – it usually isn’t true.

5. ExpatNJ
    ExpatNJ March 27, 2017 10:59 am

There is NO ‘Obama Care’ / Affordable Care Act penalty. It’s all the way at the end:

26 U.S. Code § 5000A – Requirement to maintain minimum essential coverage
    Pub. L. 113-296

“(B) Limitations on liens and levies
    The Secretary shall not—
    (i) file notice of lien with respect to any property of a taxpayer by
    reason of any failure to pay the penalty imposed by this section, or
    (ii) levy on any such property with respect to such failure.”

IOW, if you don’t pay a(ny) penalty, there’s not a thing they can do you to collect it. Or, am I misreading/misinterpreting the passage?

(NOTE: This is not – nor is it intended to be – legal advice. I am neither an Attorney Spokesperson nor an Attorney-At-Law. I may however, be an Attorney-In-Fact. Opinions expressed herein are not necessarily my own. There is no advocation of violence in any way. This post is protected Free Speech intended for intellectual/theoretical/philosophical discussion.)

6. Shel
    Shel March 28, 2017 9:39 am

This is the incident referenced above.

The cop’s history: http://www.miamiherald.com/news/state/florida/article94964257.html

Here’s a purported picture of the incident. Was he firing into a car and didn’t realize he was shooting blanks? http://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20170222/punta-gorda-officer-and-chief-charged-in-death-of-librarian

I saw a picture of her somewhere. She looked like a very nice lady.

Claire March 28, 2017 11:23 am

Holy sh*t, jc2k! He killed all three baddies? Man.

8. StevefromMA
    StevefromMA March 28, 2017 12:06 pm

To sober up all you (other) well-meaning LTC folks, consider this story, which has certainly caused me to reevaluate my potential responses. Borrowed from somewhere but I think account published in a bunch of places. I sanitized some references tho.

(Ed. note from Claire: I replaced most of the included text with a link to one of several sites that carry this story. It’s very good.)

D FROM MY GOOD SAMARITAN ATTEMPT
    By Aaron Kreag …

Driving to the movies on December 26, 2014, I never in a million years envisioned needing to draw my defensive firearm. All the defensive firearm usage scenarios I had envisioned revolved around things like home invasion, carjacking, bank robbery, and spree shooting events. All my previous firearms training revolved around identifying an imminent threat, shooting to stop the threat if necessary, and then hopefully moving on with my life. It was all a pretty simple equation in my mind. However, the reality of my incident that day after Christmas was far different. It was not a simple equation. It was quite complex and has taken over two years to resolve.

The rest is at the link:

Comrade X March 28, 2017 3:02 pm

StevefromMA very interesting article. Hindsight is always the best sight but being that we have that view my question is; did Aaron have to pull his gun? Could he have prevented the continue beating that was taking place by intervening without the gun, he still had his gun to use if his life became endangered or those of others?

One thing that carrying a gun has done for me is it has prevented me in rushing into a situation otherwise I might have in the past because I know deadly force may be used, no one can say exactly what they would do unless they actually do it but my first reaction would be to let the perp know the cops are on the way, you are going to be arrested, we have your license plates, you can’t get away, and very forcefully yelling for him to stop what you are doing, everything I would otherwise do if I did not have a gun, etc etc. If he took off that would stop the beating at least and I could follow to help the cops track him & catch him.

I know he thought that lady was going to die from being beat but obviously that was incorrect, seeing someone being beat when no weapon is being used should not be an immediate known consideration of death IMHO and the perp was unarmed, right?

Again, hindsight is a lot easier to see your options than before the SHTF but isn’t that was preparing is all about?

It’s like you are being robbed but there’s no immediate chance of being shot or stabbed while getting some $$ from an ATM; do you shoot the sob first or just throw the money down giving you time to make space and suggest he be on his way? Considering what it might cost you if you shoot him; throwing the money down might save you quite a bit in the long run.

10. StevefromMA
    StevefromMA March 28, 2017 4:54 pm

Interesting questions. The big problem is relying on a felon to keep his word after taking your money. To make a long story short, our family friend was gratuitously shot gunned iin the face lying on the floor in a coffee shop with other patrons who had all complied and handed everything over, just a whim and a lark by one of four young psychopaths as they left the store. Dozens of surgeries costing unrelenting pain and $$$$$$ later, he still looks like a monster and can’t speak clearly. In an open and shut case, he has been retraumatized re testifying a dozen times while the scumbag sits in jail. That’s the situation I keep in mind. In a classic case of sad hindsight, he now has an LTC. I have been to the scene and gamed out the scenario, would have required you to not be sitting back to the door and not holding a coffee cup as four disadvantaged youths with shotguns walked in. You would had to have decided to instantly try to take out all four seasoned robbers with your pistol, hoping a double tap would stop each one and shooting through a glass door for several. It was a bad situation. The parking lot lighting was poor and there is an ongoing lawsuit about that but it’s just money. Google Dunkin Donuts Boca Raton robbery shooting and you’ll eventually find it if interested.

Comrade X March 29, 2017 8:41 am

Steve; Relying on evil people is not something I would ever advocate, if while at the ATM the perp came at me with a weapon my immediate action would be to defend myself, another key also is how, where and when do I use ATM’s. If I let someone get the drop on me; that is my fault.

Very sad to hear about your friend. I have had friends comment about being with me means we have to sit in a corner with our backs to the wall, they accuse me of being kin to Wild Bill but one of the times when Wild Bill didn’t do that was his last time BTW.

IMHO there are situations where you most likely don’t survive and all you can do is make the best out of it (whatever that is) what I strive to do is not get into a situation where your odds of survival are decreased however life isn’t perfect and we don’t live forever either.

I hope your friend can find a place in his self to recover and move on with his life.

12. StevefromMA
    StevefromMA March 29, 2017 10:49 am

Thanks for your thoughts. I’m afraid that our friend will never recover and his life is one that has been ruined by crime and marked by constant pain and disfigurement.

It’s true that when our time is up, it’s up. When I visited that shop my thought was that my life, in the best case, might have hinged on whether I was lifting a cup of coffee with my gun hand as I saw them enter. A chance behavior in a somewhat random crime though these swine had done this robbery elsewhere half a dozen times with no shooting.

Wild Bill learned too late that when you break your own rules you are probably screwed because you had a good reason for creating them to begin with. That has happened to me in much lesser events repeatedly. Routine is good in some things.

But…. every time I have carried a mouse gun, when I’ve felt at risk, I’ve always wished I’d brought a bigger gun. I still carry the damn mouse gun, though…😕

Comrade X March 29, 2017 1:22 pm

Very sorry for your friend.

Just remember, even with a mouse gun, an eight ball shot ends the game, one way or another, my practice is all about making that shot and doing it quickly. The problem arrives when there’s more than one 8 ball on the table but that is what that back up magazine is suppose to help with too. I also think that when one 8 ball is going down other 8 ball’s can easily & quickly get the idea that there are better tables to find to roll on too.

14. StevefromMA
    StevefromMA March 29, 2017 8:13 pm

I don’t carry an extra mag for the mouse gun, maybe odd since it’s so weak, but I figure I can’t hit anything over ten feet with it (longer distance arguably no longer self defense, especially here) and that close, the fight is over one way or another after that. JMHO.