Pardon me while I deal with reality

The last few days I’ve been dealing with reality. To wit: schlepping accumulated stuff out of the bedroom-to-be and into the attic or other places where it’ll live for a while.

So far I’ve gotten from this:

… to this:

But there’s still SO much more reality to deal with.

Everything’s got to come out of the bedroom so The Wandering Monk and I (mostly the monk) can tear the floor out, then raise and repair the foundation under the back of the house. Hopefully next month. May at the latest. We’ll be working from inside because there’s almost no clearance under that part of the house. Telling him he wouldn’t have to shimmy on his back in the mud with risk of the house collapsing on him was part of my bribe to get the reluctant monk to agree to such a big project. Thus emptying the entire room.

The room needs to be gutted anyhow. Horrible ceiling. Horrible floor. Mostly horrible walls. All need redoing. Closet to be built, door to be installed. Etc. and so on. But after nearly four years of using that room as the collecting point for construction materials, tools, Christmas decorations, garden equipment, spare plumbing parts, and general stuff, it’s not a fun project.

GREAT exercise going up and down the attic ladder with heavy boxes, though. My thighs inform me of just what fine, fine exercise it is. Oh my, do they inform me!

So pardon me while my thighs and I get back to work. We may not have Deep Thoughts for you for a while.

In the meantime, have a dog.

(I hope you all enjoy, but this is especially for D.)

MamaLiberty March 27, 2017 1:42 pm

I really feel for you, Claire. One of the first mistakes I made when I moved here was to put everything I couldn’t see a place for into the storage room downstairs. Just tossed in anyhow, and much more followed the original mess. It will take a major effort to bring all that stuff out, find a place for it or stack it in the bedroom here, and put what must go back in with some sort of organization. I’ve never had the energy, and there has been no imperative such as your repairs, so it remains as it was. Amazingly, I usually find what I need in the mess, but that’s no compensation for organization – which I’m sure would take up far less room as well.

Good luck, and don’t hurt yourself!!!

2. StevefromMA
    StevefromMA March 27, 2017 1:53 pm

That isn’t cluttered! I’d post my basement if I could figure out how to do it.

A family of mine redid his entire house electrical, plumbing, drywall, etc. from YouTube videos. Astounding.

3. jed
    jed March 27, 2017 2:57 pm

Is that a bathtub peeking out there? šŸ™‚

I’m with Steve. I could post a few photos of my bedroom closet, etc. We could have a competition.

At my last house, my basement, especially the bedroom, served exactly that purpose.

Claire March 27, 2017 6:13 pm

Yes, that is a bathtub. Actually, that photo is two years old and I’ve since restored that tub and moved it into its real home. But other things migrated into its place to the point where it got hard to get from one corner of the room to another.

Still, I don’t doubt that many of you could out-do this place for mess. The biggest thing that’s surprised me in cleaning the room out is how little I’m finding either to throw out or donate to a thrift store. It may be junk, but by golly, it’s useful junk.

5. Shel
    Shel March 27, 2017 7:05 pm

I have an excellent photo of the erect handle of a vacuum cleaner amongst clutter with two beautiful silver strands symmetrically hanging down from each side. The picture is no longer reproducible, as I have lent the (since defunct) vacuum cleaner to a friend, necessarily causing irreparable damage to the spider web. The clutter, with minor rearranging, is still there.

6. larryarnold
    larryarnold March 27, 2017 11:21 pm

You and my father-in-law would have gotten along famously.

We’ve lived in the same house since 1983, and inherited half of what my parents had accumulated since the 1960s, a good bit of what my in-laws accumulated since the 1970s, what my disabled cousin has accumulated since she moved in with us in the 2000s, and what my sister-in-law can’t take with her while she works aboard Navy ships.

Apples don’t fall far from the tree.

7. rochesterveteran
    rochesterveteran March 28, 2017 7:55 am

Claire, I know what a tough job it is of cleaning out the clutter! At one time at the place we’re at now, we had 7 of us living there. Lots of people and lots of stuff! My sister and niece moved out to their own place and slowly, one by one, our kids have been growing up and moving out on their own… but they left stuff behind! We’re slowly getting through it and threatening to throw out our kids stuff that has just been sitting in the basement and spare bedroom since they’ve left. Makes me long for the days when I was a young, single guy, just out of the service and it took me 30 minutes at the most to pack my things into my car and leave!

8. Arthur Murray
    Arthur Murray March 28, 2017 8:10 am

Shelves, clear (or nearly so) plastic bins and labels. When space is at a premium you have to treat it as premium space.

When I retired and downsized several years ago I kept All That Which Was Important And Had Value. None of which I could find after I moved, unfortunately, despite knowing that I had it (the item you know you have – and need – but cannot find is doubly painful because you’ve invested money in something you will have to buy again).

I went with fully adjustable wire rack shelving from restaurant supply outfits, and see-though plastic Sterilite brand bins from Walmart, each bearing an accurate label. When I did an inventory a while back I was shocked when I totaled up how much I had spent on shelving and bins, but the plus side is I can locate anything I need in under 60 seconds.

(There are still a couple of missing items from the Previous Era I’m absolutely positive I have, but I fear it will require an advanced degree in Archeology to enable me to locate them.)