Friday links

Comrade X March 31, 2017 3:02 pm

Hey we just had the two best days of the year, give the PNW a break!!!

OK I know what your are up too, trying to keep the Californians out however considering what Seattle downtown looks like today, IT’S TOO LATE!!!

2. Bill St. Clair
    Bill St. Clair March 31, 2017 11:55 pm

The Walmart recently expanded in my little Vermont town. The bulk of the size increase was the addition of a huge grocery section, larger than the 24-hour Price Chopper next door. I visited, shortly after the new store opened (right behind the old store, which was demolished to make a huge parking lot), walked up and down every grocery aisle, and bought… nothing.

This boy has been spoiled by the local farmers market and tiny health food store. Even Price Chopper gets very little food business from me, and then only for things I can’t buy at the local stores. Walmart: zero.

MamaLiberty April 1, 2017 5:07 am

Wish we had a real farmer’s market here, Bill – but the only farmers around here grow hay and raise a few cattle, no vegetables. We’re lucky to find anything fresh at the two local independent grocery stores, though they work hard to stock what they can get. Nearest WalMart is 80 miles away, and I may go in there once a year if I have to go to the city for something else. The last time I was there, last summer, I got three things. I actually don’t have any plans to go back soon. No loss.

I’m really interested to see how Amazon develops, and how much competition they have in the near future. I suspect that the on-line shopping opportunities will increase and become more diverse – if any shred of the free market is allowed to continue, of course.

Comrade X April 1, 2017 9:30 am

Methinks the future in shopping is gonna be all online, why spend the time & money putting the product out on display when you can display it on line, then we can go on line (to whoever you prefer) pick out what you want, make your order, they either ship it to you via drone same day or more conventional ways possibly or they have a warehouse in the bigger cities where you go and pick up same day your prepackaged order less time shopping and more time wasting your time on your smart phone. The grocery store of the past will mainly be something for the history books. Warehouses that are just for transferring products are a lot less overhead. Think about moving products in warehouses all over the state/country with robotics (no employees, no wages, no health insurance, no workmen comp, etc) from one central location; kinda like flying drones in the middle east from Houston.

Farmers markets will still continue in the towns that have people & farmers who support them. I’m getting ready to walk down to mine today, it’s only a 5 or 6 mile walk one way, good way to spend a Saturday.

MamaLiberty April 1, 2017 9:43 am

The warehouse/drone delivery won’t work for fresh produce, meat or even frozen stuff. No way I’m letting someone else pick out my fruits and vegetables, meat or such things. I want to see and choose for myself. There’s likely going to have to be compromises in many areas, but that’s not one I’d be willing to make. 🙂

6. Ron Johnson
    Ron Johnson April 2, 2017 5:03 am

Prediction: Walmart will sort-of succeed at getting price concessions from it’s supplier base. They could get the 15% concession from suppliers through voluntary negotiation or through a declaration that they are just taking 15% off the invoice. But this will not be a long term solution for Walmart.

Suppliers to Walmart, or any retailer, are not the passive victims of a retail bully. They are aggressive and adaptive merchants who learn and adjust. If Walmart takes 15% off their costs today, somewhere in the future the suppliers will raise their base costs. Walmart will still get their 15%, but it will be on a higher base.

Interesting battle between Walmart and Amazon. I’m an old-school retailer who believes that e-commerce will hit a growth wall in the near future. The costs of handling individual deliveries is far in excess of the costs of a brick and mortar retailer shipping a pallet of the same to their stores and setting them out for customers to self-serve. The cost difference is being made up in nearly non-existent margins for the e-com retailer, something that cannot continue forever.

Comrade X April 2, 2017 11:19 am

I once had a customer who wanted to require a haircut from their prime suppliers whereas they could open up a new market at the time in China; we where wined & dined prior to the boom being lowered; I said BS to that and went on to bigger and better things; they ended up belly up in the end.