Midweek links

Okay. After the high-falutin’ posts of the past two days, it’s time for a return to the mundane.

MamaLiberty April 12, 2017 8:32 am

The dying man’s last wish… would not have been at all remarkable if he’d been in hospice care instead of a hospital.

And I’d say that the world is a more dangerous place for children now, since they have been systematically stripped of so much: real time play outdoors and learning from experience – with opportunity to learn how to get along with others. Lack of rational education – both school and home – with hands on instruction/experience with dangerous things so they know how to deal with them. Guns are an obvious example, but that extends to almost everything else. And then, if they are raised to think they have no responsibility for their own safety, and that someone else is always to blame for bad things that happen… all kinds of bad things happen and they’ll probably never know why, or how to avoid the next one, let alone defend themselves.

Comrade X April 12, 2017 8:53 am

I would call that 500 billion chump change and we’re the chumps!

With where United stock is going methinks the CEO is toast.

I betcha kids today don’t have to worry about a stick in the eye as much as I did.

I can’t imagine getting castrated for anything, right now I’m having a problem doing it to my dog, some people think if you do it too early it leads to diseases like cancer, so they recommend waiting till 2 years and they are full grown however 130 pounds of testosterone in a one year old sure makes training a challenge and I also kinda want him to get laid before I do it, at least once in his lifetime.

3. Shel
    Shel April 12, 2017 1:43 pm

The article about the hospital has a link showing how to get admitted into prestigious universities today. http://www.newser.com/story/240902/muslim-teen-writes-blacklivesmatter-100-times-on-stanford-application.html?utm_source=part&utm_medium=foxnews&utm_campaign=rss_health_rel

Castrating dogs is a hard choice. I had a vet tell me once that he believed it was much more difficult for humans to have males castrated than females spayed because castration produces a visible effect. He didn’t think that the animal’s sex had much of anything to do with it subjectively because he would have dogs with male owners who wanted them castrated while the females bringing the dogs in didn’t. There actually are artificial testicles but they seem just a sop for the humans and a perhaps a minor nuisance to the dogs.

Claire April 12, 2017 2:45 pm

“There actually are artificial testicles but they seem just a sop for the humans and a perhaps a minor nuisance to the dogs.”

Oh yeah, the infamous Neuticles (http://www.neuticles.com/).

They also have the quite serious purpose of scamming judges at conformation shows. Purebreds have to be breedable to compete in conformation. Have a male who’s too much of a handful? Neuter him, pop in some Neuticles, and the judges (supposedly) never know you cheated.

As to when to neuter, some shelters and rescue groups now do it as early as 12 weeks — way too early! But two years? I’ve never heard a good reason to leave the job beyond six months or so unless you intend to breed. And if you intend to breed, then you (or the owner of the bitch) are pretty much responsible for the puppies as long as they live. Somebody decides not to keep one; a responsible breeder takes it back. Not fun!

Good luck with your handful of a boy, Comrade.

Comrade X April 12, 2017 2:58 pm

And we do love him too. Been hard at work with a trainer (who says we need to do the deed asap) and the big date has already been set (the first one we could get), he only has a couple more weeks before he becomes a gelding (heck he as big as pony almost).

6. FishOrMan
    FishOrMan April 12, 2017 3:14 pm

Just hoping the kitchen island still amounts to something headed your way?

Claire April 12, 2017 3:21 pm

Kitchen island amounts to a nice, big commission being sent my way. Thank you, FishOrMan. With the drop off in Amazon pay rates, that was most welcome. (Nice island, too.)

While commissions have predictably been down since Amazon did its Bad Thing in March and many individual days have looked absolutely dismal, it’s kind of funny. The few large purchases people have made, including your kitchen island, have happened to be mostly in categories where the commissions actually went UP. So … so far not as bad as I’d feared.

Claire April 12, 2017 3:23 pm

Smart trainer. Smart you for taking your pony for training and for heeding the trainer’s advice. That’s great love in action.

If he has to wear one of those collars, I hope you’ll share pix. 🙂

9. Ruth
    Ruth April 14, 2017 8:56 am

There are more and more studies showing that the earlier the neuter (and in some cases neutering at all) correlates with higher incidence of several (very deadly) cancers actually. The studies have been breed specific to Golden Retrievers, Labs, and Vizslas (and possibly others since I haven’t been paying attention lately), but have been remarkably consistent across the breeds.

And more and more data that neutering does less to fix a lot of the problems it was supposed to.

And that neutering before full growth (especially on the larger breeds) can seriously screw with the dog’s physical structure resulting in an increased risk of joint issues later.

It still comes down to personal choice of the owner. But I own a 130+lb intact male who’s over 6yrs old, and I don’t see neutering in his future unless there’s a medical issue that requires it. Sure it took work to remind him that he doesn’t get to run wild just cause his hormones insisted. But he’s an awesome dog, and worth the work.

Comrade X April 14, 2017 9:20 am

Ruth I hear you. The funny thing is, I’ve away had big dogs, at near 100# and even up near 150# except for one at about 70#, it’s never been an issue before, they were all neutered young, and all lived to a reasonable old age except for the last one, who died at about the half way point, so with this dog we have been thinking differently.

However the truth is this dog is really my better half’s dog and I don’t have the last say and the decision has been made, hopefully it will be the right decision.

It is what it is.

11. Ruth
    Ruth April 14, 2017 12:03 pm

Like I said, owners personal choice.

When discussing leaving hormones intact vs neuter vs when to neuter there’s ALOT of issues to consider. Including the owner’s willingness and physical ability to handle the training needed.

But there are more and more things to consider when making that choice than there was even 15 years ago. I’m hoping that the current research trends will continue! There’s alot about pet health that we don’t understand, and a surprising amount of it reflects back on our health.