And sometimes you do art just to test your new pencil sharpener

Very small colored pencil drawing on Stonehenge paper. Playing with defining the central subject almost entirely in terms of negative space.

This required sharp-sharp-sharp pencil points, but colored pencils and pencil sharpeners tend not to get along. The last sharpener broke their soft little points and in revenge they destroyed its motor. So far so good on the new one, though.

The text I input later on computer.

I think I’ll go back and add some random paw prints around the lightest area. A puppy is also in the works. These could be illustrations. If I had something I wanted to illustrate.

Pat April 18, 2017 1:51 pm

Sharp lines you’ve drawn – very nice. I’d love to have that on a mousepad (no pun intended), even with the tail hanging over.

2. SKSK
    SKSK April 18, 2017 2:00 pm

I so enjoy both your color play and your texture play. Who SAYS you aren’t an illustrator, ma’am???

3. mel
    mel April 18, 2017 3:27 pm

Love you kitty and the following will help you out.
    I have bought 5 of the following 1 for myself and 4 others for the folks at the retirement center where we do pencil coloring. The best you can buy. The points are dangerously sharp!! Three settings. Have 450-600 pencils that have to be kept sharpened.

OfficeGoods Electric & Battery Operated Pencil Sharpener for Home Office & School, Sharpens Evenly Every Time, Great for Everyone that Wants the Perfect Point (Black)

4. StevefromMA
    StevefromMA April 18, 2017 5:18 pm

I can’t forget my major art experience in elementary school where the teacher said she grades on how hard we work, not the results, and gave a really bad grade because she didn’t like the colors I used. )&@) I remember that water color, I liked it, and it was a house on Halloween!

But I have no talent, it’s true.

Claire April 18, 2017 7:45 pm

mel — Thank you! That looks like a good one. I like the size adjustments and the fact that you’ve gotten a lot of work out of it. I’ll keep that one in mind for sure.

Claire April 18, 2017 7:49 pm

“But I have no talent, it’s true.”

I don’t know that. I’m not sure you can really know that. Damn teacher! You liked your painting. You were proud of it. She steps on it — and for an arbitrary reason, at that. I wonder how many teachers (parents/big brothers/big sisters/evil stepmothers) have stomped on kids’ creativity, discouraging them forever, out of ignorance, spite, or … whatever.

Claire April 18, 2017 7:50 pm

SKSK and Pat — 🙂 Thank you. It does feel as if I’m sort of getting my groove back. Starting to get it back. Appreciate the encouragement.