Small-town life, 21st century style

Just returned from the morning walk to town. Where the owner of the nearest pot shop recognized me, stopped his car, and reminded me that today is 4/20. Discounts on bud, beverages, and bongs. Today only. Free munchies while they last. C’mon down.

I rarely go by his shop any more. I never was that big on using his product, though I did like to support him and loved to view the wonders of his store. Now that it’s a very long walk or a short-but-PITA bus ride to his place, I don’t go there.

But dontcha love the small-town friendliness?

1. rochester_veteran
    rochester_veteran April 20, 2017 11:16 am

Yeah, it’s nice knowing folks around town! It’s like that in North Chili, but we don’t have a pot shop because recreational use is still illegal in Nanny New York State. 🙁

2. StevefromMA
    StevefromMA April 20, 2017 1:08 pm

I do like living here in a Cape Cod small town also, mostly. You want to minimize transactional relationships ie. CVS…”thank you, sir, have a nice day “or life is filled with meaningless interactions. The book Sapien reminded me we are tribal animals, optimal in a 150 person tribe, where people knew everyone. I have a very hard time making new real connections at 68 y.o. despite numerous attempts at clubs, activities, volunteering, etc. I never worked in town, ain’t religious, not alcoholic, don’t golf, hate spectator sports…to quote an old book by a psych patient with the plaintive title ..”Is there no place on earth for me?”. It’s not that bad but once people have grandchildren, they also disappear. Wow, guess I went pretty far off the reservation here, privilege of an old guy.

3. larryarnold
    larryarnold April 20, 2017 1:19 pm

That’s one of the many things I enjoy about living in Kerrville. Can’t go anywhere without a couple of conversations. That, and a trip “all the way across town” takes less than ten minutes, unless I have to wait for the light at Five Points.

4. Desertrat
    Desertrat April 20, 2017 11:27 pm

Heh. I graduated from high school at Schreiner. 1951. 🙂

Larry, did you ever know Charley III Schreiner?

5. MJR
    MJR April 21, 2017 10:54 am

I have to agree small town living is wonderful. It’s nice knowing folks who live around you, knowing that if there are any problems all you have to do is ask for a little help. Hell there are times when you don’t even have to ask people just step up. I admit being a big city boy it took a bit of thim to get into this mindset but for my neighbors when in need I am there. One of the best things I’ve done in recent memory was get out of the big city ant’s nest. In the past two weeks I have had to go to the big city and I hated every second of it.

Claire April 21, 2017 4:07 pm

7. StevefromMA
    StevefromMA April 21, 2017 5:28 pm

That is true.

The small town downside is that it can get wtf dull here, especially in the winter.

Claire April 21, 2017 8:17 pm

I would think a dull winter on Cape Cod would be terrific. I’ve always thought that summer was the unpleasant season for people who live places like Nantucket or Cape Cod and get overrun by tourists. No?

9. StevefromMA
    StevefromMA April 21, 2017 9:26 pm

There are lots of people here then but also lots of activities;it’s a tradeoff. The Cape is good for outdoor folks who swim, surf, dig clams, golf, bike, paint, are lawyers and realtors. I like the local library and French pastry shop;,some infirmities have made it hard to do earlier bike riding and other stuff. There are very high power scientists in Wood’s Hole but few hi powered options in other areas. An old supervisor told me years ago that people come here to escape, could be right.

10. rochester_veteran
    rochester_veteran April 22, 2017 5:28 am

Claire wrote: “It’s funny. Everybody’s relating to the small-town friendliness — which I agree is nice. Only one person has taken notice of the fact that my friendly neighbor was inviting me over to buy cannabis.”

Yup, it was me, also pining that my small-town had a pot shop too! 🙂

11. larryarnold
    larryarnold April 22, 2017 5:59 am

Met Charlie III at a couple of YO Ranch Social Club events, but I can’t say I knew him. I did know some of the other Schreiners from working on the same committees or being involved in the same causes.
    The school is now a full four-year University.

Meh. Texas hasn’t budged on buds.
    Our Legislature is in the middle of its 140-day session (I’m tracking 144 gun-related bills) but the main social issues are the border wall and the bathroom-protection bill.
    [sigh]