Tuesday links

• Closer to confirmation: mysteriously murdered DNC staffer Seth Rich was indeed in contact with Wikileaks, and the emails “hacked by Russians” may have instead been leaked by him.
  • Leonardo da Vinci invented an odd musical instrument (on paper). A modern instrument maker has built it. (Use the “cc” option on the video to get English subtitles.)
  • The governmental stupid gets thicker and thicker in California. Now dumb law threatens small, independent booksellers — as if they weren’t already threatened enough. (H/T M)
  • Microsoft — which has spent so many years churning out vulnerabilities for “security” agencies to exploit, decries the fedgov practices that allowed WannaCry ransomeware to take over Windows systems. (To their credit, they quickly offered patches, even for systems they haven’t supported in years.)
  • Such a shock and surprise! High taxes and regulations prompt us to head for other states.
  • Rest assured, should I make it to 101 and some odd weeks, you will not read about me going skydiving. Kudos to the brave old guy, though.
  • These photos are titled “Dogs vs. Mud.” But if you know dogs, of course you realize that dogs and mud are happy collaborators.

Joel May 16, 2017 10:44 am

That California book signing law…y’know, when I lived in Kali that’s just the sort of thing that would send me howling and clawing the walls.

Now I’ve grown so dismissive of the place it’s as though there was this article about a really pointless and destructive law in, I dunno, Bulgaria or North Korea. I should be outraged, but it’s just hard to care anymore. I’m always surprised to hear that intelligent people still live there.

MamaLiberty May 16, 2017 10:47 am

Oh yes, dogs and mud. 20 years of raising Labrador Retrievers flashed before my eyes looking at those pictures. LOL I ruined Laddie’s mud fun here, however. I put down pea gravel in all the muddy places. He still goes right to his towel by the door in wet weather, and doesn’t mind having his paws and tummy wiped dry, but it’s not the job it used to be. Old Rascal, my dear Beagle/Doxie simply hated to have his paws touched in any way, for any reason, and I sure wish I’d thought of the gravel when we first moved here.

3. Jorge
    Jorge May 16, 2017 2:25 pm

Funny that piece on skydiving. I just jumped for the first time in ~40 years. It was fun. I am no where near 101 (yet). Who knows, maybe I will keep it up till then and beyond.

4. Coyote Hubbard
    Coyote Hubbard May 17, 2017 12:43 am

My roomate and I went out to spend a weekend on a farm with friends and he took along his yellow lab seeing eye dog, as hes blind. As she was not your typical seeing eye dog, and loved to be a dog when she was not working, we cut her loose in a cow pasture and of course, this being the Pacific NorthWet, there were puddles, and she spent an hour just jumping in and out of them. Of course when shes back in the yard, shes a mudsickle, so shes not coming in the house yet.

In one of those bizzare hollywood movie magic things, a few hours later, she was as clean looking as she was before her mud dip.

Recall one time when she escaped the yard, went up to the bus stop where the roomie and her went every morning to catch the bus to get to work in Seattle, and climbed on the bus by herself… I know this bus, I know i can get on, lets go….She rode out the route and the driver called a Supervisor, who called the roomie, and drove her back home.

There are tons of stories on her exploits, but she was one of a kind in that she was a guidedog, but when not working, she was a crazy, happy, what can i get into dog dog. Roomie agrees that too many guide dog users think they can just flip a switch and they are on and off critters…

And wont let the dog be, well a dog.

Claire May 17, 2017 8:57 am

Jorge — Highly cool. Although I’d never do it, I hope you’re still managing it at 101.

larryarnold — Eeeeeew. Gross. I was going to ask how somebody even did that. Then I realized … only with a nail gun.

Claire May 17, 2017 9:00 am

Coyote Hubbard — GREAT guide dog story. I admit, not having had much experience of them, I’ve always assumed guide dogs were fairly staid critters. Good on your roomie and his dog for letting it all hang out.

Also, I love those mysteriously self-cleaning dog coats. I’ve had a few dogs like that. OTOH, I had one, Nadja, who loved mud puddles probably more than any other dog I’ve ever had, but whose fur was emphatically NOT self-cleaning. Mud would cake in her ultra-dense fur and I’d be chipping it out of her for days.

7. Coyote Hubbard
    Coyote Hubbard May 17, 2017 2:08 pm

We have always had just plain old dogs around with the guide dog, so she had plenty of doggie time with her peers. She and the Shep mix would start playing and from outside the house, it sounded like we were running a dog fighting ring. Roomie has been a member of the Guide Dog Users of America for ever, and always stresses its good to let your guide dog be a dog too, especially letting that be known to new guide dog users.

8. david
    david May 22, 2017 7:12 pm

I have to wonder how many folks leaving high tax states will continue to vote for all the things that make taxes high in the first place, having learned nothing.