Thursday links

• Following Bob Owens’ suicide, there’ve been a lot of articles on the general theme of how men’s depression is different than women’s (generally true) and how men may be more reluctant to get help. What only one person has mentioned so far (and that over on the private Claire’s Cabal forums) is that if you’re a gun owner who asks for help you will be screwed six ways from Sunday. Smart gun owners do not dare let so-called mental-health professionals know they’re suffering. At the very least, they’ll lose their gun rights. And it’s not at all uncommon for cops to show up and kill them. Some “help” that is!
  • Yet another cop walks free on the “I’m a puling coward” defense. Betty Shelby argued that pre-emptive murder was part of her training. Besides, the dispensable “civilian” didn’t give her the instant obedience expected of the peasant class.
  • Do you earn wages? Or are your earnings merely gifts from Massah?
  • Award for the most misleading headline of the day goes to “Can Cannabis and Christ Co-Exist?” which is actually a pretty good article about the Christian effort for medical cannabis in the religious south.
  • Yet another of those interesting-but-not-surprising dog studies. Dogs talk to us — and we kinda-sorta understand them. Of course the ways they talk and we grok goes far beyond the barks of the study. (H/T ML)
  • It’s been a quiet trend for some time. Now the larger world is beginning to notice: Protestants and Mormons are moving toward the Eastern Orthodox church in search of religious renewal, deeper tradition, greater rigor, and more spiritual depth.
  • If meat eaters acted like vegans. (No offense intended to vegetarians, of which there are several hereabouts. But this is hilarously accurate about all forms of lifestyle self-righteousness.)
  • No, the odds of your existence were not so small as to require some magical, miraculous creation.

MamaLiberty May 18, 2017 11:47 am

“The Odds Of Your Unlikely Existence Were Not Infinitely Small” – great article. However, it seems to be saying that our form of life is the only one. The odds of THAT are zero to the nth degree, by their own criteria!

2. laird
    laird May 18, 2017 12:53 pm

Liked the anti-vegan video! Thanks!

Comrade X May 18, 2017 3:29 pm

When I converse with my dog and then look into his eyes I know he understands me!

4. MJR
    MJR May 18, 2017 6:22 pm

About Mr. Owens. Men or women, we all have our demons. The secret is to find someone to help unload with. The idea that the someone you talk to can’t be a professional because the ramifications are simply too risky shows that the system has failed. The issue of what to reveal to a professional when one seeks help is not only a problem in the not so United States but up here in Canada too.

About the vegan video… nice.

5. Shel
    Shel May 18, 2017 8:11 pm

I get 10% disability from the VA for hearing loss. A friend, who has the same concerns as the rest of us has encouraged me to go for PTSD as well. My friend is convinced there won’t be any firearms repercussions; on my part I have unsuccessfully tried to convince my friend that going to effort to convince the government that I have a mental problem isn’t a great choice.

A dog who once owned me (and always will) and I could look at each other and have conversations with our eyes. And John Muir believed Stickeen could understand him perfectly. The background. http://vault.sierraclub.org/john%5Fmuir%5Fexhibit/writings/stickeen/ and the story itself. http://vault.sierraclub.org/john%5fmuir%5fexhibit/writings/stickeen/the_story_of_a_dog.aspx

In Hong Kong some years ago, I located a vegetarian restaurant. Bamboo shoots and yu fungus sounded alluring, although the fungus turned out simply to be mushrooms. I found the experience quite interesting, for the other patrons looked pretty much like vegetarians everywhere, with quite bland and placid facial expressions which made one suspect there was something about the world that they really didn’t understand.

And completely OT, the Jews of the 21st century: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017/05/18/venezuelas-nicholas-maduro-officials-treated-like-jews-nazis/

Hmmm. Three links. Will await moderation.

6. John
    John May 20, 2017 3:11 pm

The “Ultra Spiritual Life” video – The chair and dog share at the end are hilarious 🙂