Weekend links

MamaLiberty July 9, 2017 9:43 am

Very interesting article on dogs response to commands. I have always trained my dogs to at least basic hand signals, and use them frequently instead of verbal commands. With Laddie, the corgi rescue, it was immediately clear that he had been abused, screamed at, and most likely given contradictory commands over a long period of time. In the beginning, he would retreat and hide if I spoke to him sharply. So, I made a great effort to speak softly and use hand signals, along with tid bits of treats. The one response he had the hardest time with was to come when called. I believe someone had consistently called him, then hit him.

Now, all I have to do is hold out my hand palm up and he will come to me reliably, whether I verbally call him or not. Visitors are always amazed that my command to “go lay down” is obeyed instantly, even if I only point to his bed or to the stairway where his bed is in the basement. He responds almost perfectly every time, whether verbal or hand signal. But I can see by this that I should not expect him to respond that way to voice commands by strangers.

2. kentmcmanigal
    kentmcmanigal July 9, 2017 2:13 pm

And nice, silent, covert hand signals are what the badged losers use to tell their dogs to alert to “drugs” in vehicles. Isn’t that interesting.

3. Jim B.
    Jim B. July 9, 2017 2:29 pm

How do you think the Deaf give their dogs commands? And there are also Deaf Dogs as well. For example, some Dalmatians are born deaf due to genetics. Unfortunately deaf dogs are frequently put to sleep as a SOP ASAP, even if they have wait times for “healthy” dogs.

Claire July 9, 2017 2:33 pm

I’ve fostered several deaf dogs, Jim B. And they have been quick, attentive learners of those signals.

Claire July 9, 2017 2:44 pm

“How do you think the Deaf give their dogs commands?”

OTOH, this wasn’t really the issue. Dogs have always obeyed both voice and physical commands. The article was only about which worked better and why.

6. larryarnold
    larryarnold July 9, 2017 4:50 pm

Eighteen hours missing, leaving behind holes in three fences? Not very “maximum security.” We had much better control over the kids where I worked at a residential child care facility.

When arrested, the authorities said he had four mobile phones, $47,654 in cash, a pistol, and a shotgun.
    “But if we only had a background check bill…”

Emotions? There are often times when I would love for Microsoft to know what I was thinking about Windows 10.

Robinson was informed that one of the students allegedly believed the question’s premise somehow required her to reveal to the class whether she’d had a Brazilian wax.
    1.No, that wasn’t one of the answers.
    B. Snowflake, nobody who isn’t intimate with you gives a whoop about your personal grooming.

The idea that the Oregon law is really going to get people killed isn’t hyperbole. If the victim is mentally fragile, staging a SWAT doorbuster, ransacking his home, confiscating his stuff, embarrassing him in front of his family and neighbors, then taking his handcuffs off and leaving, is a Really Horrid therapeutic intervention.

I also note that nothing in the whole process of identifying and disarming a person who is supposedly an “extreme risk” requires any kind of professional mental health evaluation.

MamaLiberty July 10, 2017 3:58 am

“supposedly an “extreme risk” requires any kind of professional mental health evaluation.”

Unfortunately, Larry, “mental health” is not a science, and most current “professionals” in the field are the product of our “progressive” and snowflake universities. I wouldn’t trust these people even as much as I would the judgment of an old beat cop. At least he/she has some real life experience with people.

Comrade X July 10, 2017 4:05 pm

Scroons grow wild in Oregon! It’s like hemp in Indiana, just not on the roadside but in cow patties!