Tuesday links

1. jed
    jed July 11, 2017 12:14 pm

Heh: “overly secure” browsers. I wasn’t that long ago that Twitter did an update that caused their videos to stop working for me. And if I ever do give birth, that’ll definitely be and odds-defying event. Might even be ground for starting a new religion, or embracing UFOlogy.

Sure do wish the warmists would take Mann’s broken hockey stick and go home, but it’s far too entrenched, wrapped up as it is with the anti-corporate left-wing ideology. And too many apparatchiks are making too much money to give up their spots basking in the warm glow of the adoration they get for flying around in private jets to preach to their choir.

2. Kristophr
    Kristophr July 11, 2017 2:27 pm

3. MJR
    MJR July 11, 2017 2:36 pm

On the photo that “proved” Amelia Earhart and Fred Noonan were captured alive by the Japanese, bah. Everybody knows they were taken by a UFO and transported to the Delta Quadrant and found by the good crew of the USS Voyager.

4. kentmcmanigal
    kentmcmanigal July 11, 2017 9:15 pm

If a guy behind the counter gives a cop a brownie, I would probably just quietly take my business elsewhere. Places that fawn over cops don’t get my business. Of course, I wouldn’t have been in line with a cop in the first place.

Claire July 12, 2017 5:56 am

We’re talking about one kid who, out of his own impulse and own income, decided to treat a cop to a brownie. It’s hardly a business that fawns over cops — especially considering that the business suspended him for his act.

Claire July 12, 2017 6:10 am

“Twitter is doing some really stupid and intrusive things. ANY normal security features cause their videos to puke.”

Unfortunately Twitter seems merely to be joining a growing pack. In the last month alone I’ve had four or five regular sites “improve” themselves to the point where I could no longer use them.

7. kentmcmanigal
    kentmcmanigal July 12, 2017 6:52 am

“It’s hardly a business that fawns over cops…
    True, but standing in that line at that moment I wouldn’t have any way to know that, and I wouldn’t want a cookie that badly.
    There are local businesses here that have “We support law enforcement” signs, and I simply choose to not do business with places that support gang violence publicly. To me it’s worse than a “no guns” sign, since I know in some cases “the law” dictates that dangerous policy to some businesses.

8. jed
    jed July 12, 2017 9:21 am

> There have long been a lot of sites that wouldn’t work on Firefox with normal security features. Now I’m running into more and more of them that are useless unless I use a browser with virtually no security on it.

It’s only going to get worse. Latest development is the endorsement by Tim Berners-Lee of adding DRM to the HTML standard. I guess this is all part of “innovation”.

Claire July 12, 2017 12:50 pm

Well, I’m sure an internet cat simulator is important.

Probably much more important in the long run than browser security — at least judging by the testimonials of the users who would have slit their wrists or melted down into quivering puddles of anxiety without it.

(Where on earth do you find these things, jed?)

10. jed
    jed July 12, 2017 1:04 pm

Typically, at Fark. I was a little disappointed; I was thinking it’d be more like the goat simulator

11. Jorge
    Jorge July 12, 2017 1:22 pm

With regard to the Michael “Hockey Stick” Mann story. It would be nice if it was true, but I doubt it. Here is a post from the other side: http://scienceblogs.com/gregladen/2017/07/08/michael-man-did-not-sabotage-his-law-suit-but-deniers-are-sabotaging-the-planet/

It is long and mostly propaganda but at the very end is a comment from Mann’s attorney where he says “No judge has made any order or given any direction, however minor or inconsequential, that Michael Mann surrender any data or any documents to Tim Ball for any purpose.”

Given that the link is from July 5 and we still haven’t heard that Ball has asked the BC court for a summary ruling, I’d say it is probably untrue.

12. Mike
    Mike July 14, 2017 1:28 pm

Wonder where the cop went? Must have been far enough away to not hear the threats from the customers.

Hmmmmmm….