Weekend links

1. Bear
    Bear August 6, 2017 7:45 am

LifeCard: A defensive firearm you have to pull out of a pocket, unfold, cock, and only then point and shoot is not a choice I’d make. But I can see that folks in Occupied California and similar areas might want something extremely discreet lest the cops bust ’em for being insuffiently helpless. But why, oh why can’t they chamber these things in a more useful round? .22LR? .323ACP?

“Ringless voicemail drops are a non-nuisance form of messaging and are an alternative to robocalls. It really does put the power in that consumer’s hand where they can essentially listen to the message or not listen to the message.”

Sounds like old-fashioned unsolicited faxes.

Doggy Audible: If it’s that important, just record an MP3 of your own voice (do you really want Fido focusing on strangers?) and play it back on endless repeat.

Pat August 6, 2017 7:55 am

I couldn’t even get my fingers around that LifeCard .22. And what would I do if I missed – throw it at my attacker? That’s about as effective as the shot itself.

Claire August 6, 2017 7:58 am

Yeah, I must say that was pretty much my take on the LifeCard, too. Okay, it’s clever. But how far will clever get you when you need to save a life?

I do recall some old guy with one of those belt-buckle .22s taking out a perp in a barbershop a few years ago. But he had a good aim, and that .22 was more easily accessible and didn’t require assembly!

4. Bear
    Bear August 6, 2017 9:31 am

Kronos: Yeah, that’s pretty iffy. If they make the case that just writing and/or distributing malware is malum in se, that’s going to make virtually all security testing illegal. Think about the repercussions in the antivirus industry alone; exchanging malware code to AV companies to update their signature files. As for the wiretapping charge…

“any electronic, mechanical, or other device, knowing or having reason to know that the design of such device renders it primarily useful for the purpose of the surreptitious interception of wire, oral, or electronic communications.”

Taken to the extreme they appear to be shooting for, that outlaws my lineman’s buttset, not to mention every T-Berd ever made with channel breakout capability.

I’m looking forward to seeing the charge details.

MamaLiberty August 6, 2017 12:28 pm

Amazing to think there is actually an advantage to being deaf. 🙂 I don’t have “voicemail,” and got rid of my answering machine because I couldn’t understand the messages anyway. I don’t even get many telephone calls anymore. The actual people who call get to identify themselves (mostly), but if I don’t know who they are I just hang up. If I answer the phone and there is a pause, then a click, I hang up right away because I know it is a recording. And if, for some reason, I don’t want any calls at all, I just unplug the phone. The trick is to remember to plug it back in… sometimes it’s been off for days. Anyone who really needs to reach me simply sends an email…

6. larryarnold
    larryarnold August 6, 2017 1:40 pm

This Powerful Credit Card-Sized Gun Fits Neatly Into Your Wallet

.22 isn’t “powerful” unless you’re being attacked by a squirrel. And at half-an-inch thick, it isn’t fitting in my wallet. There are several better alternatives for $400.

It would be nice, perhaps revolutionary, for the cybercommunity to discover freedomistas. They have big wrenches.

It seems like SJWs are starting to eat their own as well.

My current spammer insures me he has extensively researched my company and is prepared to install a security program on all my employees’ computers to focus them on work and greatly improve efficiency and production. I’m resisting replying, and telling him that I have no employees, and if I did they wouldn’t be teaching people to shoot with computers.

Comrade X August 6, 2017 5:54 pm

I don’t know if it is only me but I’ve thought for a long time now that Sessions just might not be the smartest tack in the box. But that seems to be the case with quite a few of our Senators it seems.

8. Desertrat
    Desertrat August 7, 2017 10:31 am

Don’t leave home with something that’s complex to operate in a timely fashion. But the .22 LR ruined RFK’s chances for the presidency.