Tuesday links

• Repeal the 17th amendment. I’ve often thought this was needed, too. Not that it would perform any freedom miracles. But it would make the states … well, states again.
  • Naturally, Google fired that engineer yesterday. Mustn’t allow anyone to question rightthink.
  • Held for over three years by the fedgov. Denied a right to a lawyer. Now he’s denied compensation — and Orwell could have written the reason.
  • Another of those gun confiscations that never happen.
  • Young couple downsizes and erases $200k worth of debt. Now aims for financial independence in two years.
  • And here’s a 34-year-old who worked to achieve financial independence and shares the learnings from his first year of success.
  • Seattle set a record a few months ago for the rainiest winter. Today it will break the record for the longest dry spell since 1951. I’m sure somebody will blame global warming for both. I blame the gods and their capricious tempers.
  • You, too can rewire your brain for learning. I dunno. Sounds like a lot of work to me.
  • How to stop being a pushover. Applies to our relationship with governments, too.
  • The insidious disguises of jealousy.

1. Desertrat
    Desertrat August 8, 2017 10:31 am

Debt-free is much easier if you’re “not all eat up with the I wants”. TV ads were time to go to the bathroom, or get a cup of coffee or some other halfway useful endeavor. Empty a trash can, e.g. But I miss the old-daze Budweiser ads. šŸ™‚

2. rochester_veteran
    rochester_veteran August 8, 2017 11:10 am

My son and his wife did this too. Even though he had a football scholarship for the college he went to, it was a half scholarship so he still had to take out student loans and I took out parent loans to help him as well. When he and his wife graduated and got teaching jobs, they both worked on getting his loans payed off, including loans I took out for him and paid them off, all $70,000 worth, in 2 1/2 years, and are now debt free! They are very much into the living frugally lifestyle.

BTW, my son’s wife didn’t have student loans because she was a 2 sport athlete in college, in volleyball and track (she was a thrower, discus, javelin and shot put). so she got a full ride.

3. rochester_veteran
    rochester_veteran August 8, 2017 1:08 pm

Ahhh, Edie Adams! In a sultry voice, “Why don’t you pick one up and smoke it sometime”. Thanks for the memories, Shel!

Claire August 8, 2017 1:15 pm

That sultry line was unforgettable to anybody who was around then. Odd circumstance is (IIRC) that the Muriel Cigar people gave that job to Edie Adams as a “pity thing” after her husband, their former spokesperson Ernie Kovacs, died in a car accident. A woman advertising cigars? Really?

Does anybody at all still remember the spots Kovacs himself did? I’ll bet not. He was the big TV star; she was a talented second-banana, but she made Muriel cigars bigger than he ever did.

UPDATE: The “pity thing” was because despite being rich, he refused to pay taxes and left her deeply, deeply in debt to the IRS when he died. She refused any charity help from his Hollywood friends and took money only in exchange for her talents.

5. rochester_veteran
    rochester_veteran August 8, 2017 1:52 pm

Claire, I did find the following commercials that Kovacs did for Dutch Masters:

Claire August 8, 2017 1:56 pm

But did you remember any of them from your misspent youth?

Pat August 8, 2017 2:23 pm

I regret to say I do remember him – and her ads as well. I never liked him, and after he died I found out why, as you mentioned above.

8. MJR
    MJR August 8, 2017 8:03 pm

Re another of those gun confiscations that never happen. Reminds me of when the Liberal government came to power in Canada and tried to put in place the long gun registry. It didn’t work & cost billions before the Liberals were run out of office. When i buy a long gun i.e. any firearm that not a semi and over 26 inches not matter the barrel length (my shotgun has a 12 inch barrel and I now have a 1022 with an 8 inch barrel, no tax stamp, no paperwork) there is no record of the sale anywhere as it should be.

While I’m on the subject of firearms, I’ve been reading about an increase in Americans visiting Canada with CCW handguns. Um folks… Canada isn’t another American state it is a different country with different laws as these folks have found out.

9. rochester_veteran
    rochester_veteran August 9, 2017 2:18 am

But did you remember any of them from your misspent youth?

I do fondly remember the Muriel Cigars commercials with Edie Adams, but not the commercials with Ernie Kovacs. The ones I posted the youtube links to were from 1959 and I was only 3 years old then and I don’t remember hardly anything from that age, Claire.

Comrade X August 9, 2017 10:38 am

Always thought Edie Adams was sexy and being a cigar enthusiast I’m an admirer of big butts.

The 17th amendment did exactly what the people today want to do if they are successful in eliminating the Electoral College. The founding fathers fear of the rule of the majority, the tyranny of the mob, pure democracy was one of the reasons we have a republican form of government.

Those who supported the 17th amendment and those supporting eliminating the Electoral College are of the same cloth in which they support an all powerful government supported by the mob, a good example of what that will get you is going on today in Venezuela.