Wednesday links

• The guy who invented those annoying and ineffective paS5w0rd! rules is now very, very sorry.
  • Lies of Omission is now available on DVD.
  • Brett Arends says he’s firing Google for firing that engineer. Robert Tracinski says the SJW/Google mindset is laying the groundwork for totalitarianism.
  • David French adds that if Google really wants more women coders, they’re going to need to change the minds of 14-year-old girls (but that’s not really what they’re after).
  • And Google itself introduces an algorithm to autocorrect people’s thoughts. (That one’s satire. For now.)
  • Policeman buys clothes for a shoplifter who needed them for a job interview. Not in the U.S. of course.
  • Sleeping in your vehicle is now a tasering, beating, chest-crushing offense because you might put the vehicle in gear even if you’re passed out. Or even when you’re lying handcuffed on the ground with a cop’s knee in your back. (And here’s another case of a citizen attempting to be helpful while not understanding what police do.)
  • Jeffrey Tucker on why Oscar Wilde’s The Importance of Being Earnest continues to be so hilarious,” so relevant, and so politically astute more than 100 years later.
  • WWII Simple Sabotage Manual is also surprisingly relevant in some ways.
  • Aaaaaaand … American’s revolving (credit card) debt has achieved levels not seen since that glorious sprint of 2008. So far defaults are more in control — in some areas of debt.

1. rochester_veteran
    rochester_veteran August 9, 2017 8:00 am

I have to set complex passwords where I work and to remember them, I write them down on a sticky note and attach it to my monitor… 😉

2. Jim B.
    Jim B. August 9, 2017 9:36 am

Due to the password requirements, that’s why I’ve already come to prefer passphrases. Basically, easy to remember sentences with a pair of numbers somewhere. Easier to remember than trying to “go fancy”(with a British accent) or wacky with a single password.

Remember, Wacky’s wacky.

Comrade X August 9, 2017 11:15 am

I watched Lies of Omission last weekend and I would recommend it to everyone, even have a few extra DVD’s for my friends. What the people who were interviewed have to say needs to be heard by as many people as possible. Our own Claire and Kit did good as all those interviewed did, I’m a big fan of Matt (have all his books and the new one on order), anyone who loves the 2nd amendment knows who Larry Pratt is and finally and mostly if nothing else Lies of Omission gave me more time with Mike Vanderboegh someone who has left us now but whose spirit will never leave me, I wear a ring everyday that reminds of that.

As Claire knows I do have a complaint about that blurred blue dot thingy however I finally got to meet Ava, at least virtual that is.

4. MacGregor K Phillips
    MacGregor K Phillips August 9, 2017 11:46 am

I have tried a few times in the past 12 years to get her to send me a picture, but no luck at all. But from the short promo for the video I know that she is not fat and has short gray hair. Other than that I guess I will have to drive up there someday and meet her face to face and then I will know first hand what she looks like. Assuming I do not die first.

5. david
    david August 9, 2017 12:42 pm

For passwords, I started using full sentences. Mostly, verse from songs or poems, but also memorable lines from movies (Skin that one pilgrim!), Bible verses, and cartoons – all without spaces or punctuation. But that is only for things I care about. My resume is on a dozen job boards with one that is often used as an example of what not to use. Bah. But my email, my laptop, my financial records – all protected with a string of letters over a dozen in length – and the longer the better. Justanoldfashionedlovesongcomingdowninthreepartharmony would be a good example! Lotsa brute force needed to get thru that one. Do the math (permutation, correct? Sorry, it’s been a while since Stats class).

6. jed
    jed August 9, 2017 2:12 pm

I played Algernon Moncreif in a HS production of Earnest. But we didn’t deconstruct it. Maybe I should re-read it. Hmmm. Possible I have the script around here someplace.

Good for Arends. He’s only several years too late. Aside from Android, which really gets very little use from me anyway, I’ve almost completely abandoned Google. But yeah, it’s hard to stay away from YouTube, so I don’t manage that so well.

7. fred
    fred August 9, 2017 2:30 pm

HAHA! Simple sabotage is how business runs today!

8. david
    david August 9, 2017 3:53 pm

I was wondering where in the book it says that one should threaten to sue for discrimination if you don’t get your way. Guess I didn’t get that far yet. But it is a fun read.

Joel August 9, 2017 3:54 pm

HAHA! Simple sabotage is how business runs today!

Really. I read the first few paragraphs of that Art of Manliness article, and it got too depressing because it reminded me of my one job in management. It’s like all the people in my department knew the manual by heart – and so did my bosses.

10. larryarnold
    larryarnold August 9, 2017 11:08 pm

I write them down on a sticky note and attach…

Absolutely. In the tech shops I’ve worked in you could tell how strict the password policy was by prevalence of sticky-notes.

Claire August 10, 2017 6:21 am

“STEM majors will end up flipping burgers.”

Even worse. Competent STEM majors will end up flipping burgers solely for the crime of being the “wrong” race, sex, or philosophical bent. STEM majors given jobs for purely political reasons will do okay, personally. But there go our tools, buildings, bridges, pharmaceuticals, computers, etc.

Comrade X August 10, 2017 8:06 am

In my review of Lies of Omission I forgot to mention David Codrea, my bad, he has been on the cutting edge when it comes to reporting of 2nd amendment issues also he worked with Mike on breaking the Fast and Furious scandal, the video Lies of Omission is important in that it helps to document what transpired in breaking the story of Fast and Furious, Holder should be in jail for what he did and the cover-up thereafter should have required a special investigator if anything ever did.

Did you know L of O got an award from; Impact Docs Awards 2017, Award of Recognition, Documentary Feature.

If Claire needs a date for the red carpet I sure there some volunteers here or in the Cabel that would step up to the plate if they only knew of the need.

13. Ellendra
    Ellendra August 10, 2017 11:51 am

“The unspoken Google assumption is that girls should go into STEM whether they want to or not.
    The problem is, if more and more people go into STEM we’ll run out of STEM jobs, and STEM majors will end up flipping burgers.”

And, the girls who really are into science and technology will be treated like idiots, because it will be assumed they’re only there to fill out the diversity slot.
    (Been there. And the worst bullying I got was from other girls.)