Tuesday links

• Amazon said they’d drop prices as soon as they took over Whole Foods. And by golly, they did. No more Whole Paycheck.
  • Bovard: 25 years later, Ruby Ridge still offers lessons in how to fight extremism. And how not to.
  • Are electric cars doomed to fail (again), but this time for a more interesting reason? (Another take-with-a-grain-of-salt article)
  • After the recent news that Iceland has nearly eradicated Down syndrome, some of the would-be targets of eugenics speak up.
  • I’m not a Game of Thrones fan. But it amuses me to follow the people who so devotedly follow that series. Apparently snowflakery has even invaded TV watching. Here’s a writer howling with indignation that the show’s season seven finale somehow personally betrayed her. Enough already, Ms Entitlement. It’s a bloody TV show!
  • On the better side of life, did you know that several times a year, Anheuser-Busch stops beer production at one of its breweries to can water for disaster victims?
  • Thirty hilarious animal-related doormats.

Pat August 29, 2017 4:59 am

“In our view, the government shouldn’t be trying to force the car market in any direction. Let consumers be the judge of what’s the best, most reliable, most convenient, most affordable way for them to get around.”

That would be the perfect solution. But the consumer isn’t currently able to pick and choose even if the government got out of the way. Car manufacturers have become too accustomed to “entitlements” from government, and are afraid to commit their money to anything except a sure thing.

Love those doormats. I’m partial to the cat-with-raised-fingers one; I suspect the religious-tract ladies might finally… Go Away.

2. Jim Bovard
    Jim Bovard August 29, 2017 6:24 am

Claire, thanks much for posting the link to my USA Today oped. Been amused to see some of the angry feedback on the piece from gun owners on gun boards. At least one of ’em did not make it past the first sentence. 🙂

3. Fred M.
    Fred M. August 29, 2017 6:32 am

Another reason to love Anheuser-Busch!

4. Shel
    Shel August 29, 2017 7:11 am

I, too, appreciate the posting of Jim Bovard’s article. I thought I knew the situation pretty well; I guess there are always more – and in this case always unpleasant – details. I do remember the marshals shot Stryker, the Weavers’ yellow lab, in the rectum because he was threatening. And the marshals were given medals for bravery during the “attack.” Thank God for Gerry Spence in this case.

5. Ellendra
    Ellendra August 29, 2017 7:48 am

Down’s Syndrome will never be truly “eliminated” no matter how much blood and money are spilled trying. It’s caused by a glitch in the cell-division process, not a virus or a recessive gene. You can’t eliminate it unless you eliminate all sources of it, which includes every human capable of bearing (or siring) children.

But then, the issue is never the issue, is it?

Comrade X August 29, 2017 9:47 am

Good for Anheuser-Busch!

Comrade X August 29, 2017 9:57 am

I thought James Bovard article was spot on, every LEO & all members of every agency in this country should be required to read it (and tested later on their understanding of it).

Claire August 29, 2017 10:21 am

The original news (CBS link within your link) was genuine. There has only been a lot of exaggeration in the retelling.

9. Jim Bovard
    Jim Bovard August 29, 2017 11:48 am

Thanks very much, Comrade X!

Shel – Spence did a great job. Lawyer David Nevin – who represented Kevin Harris – had a much greater challenge. Happily, the federal judge in that case was not hellbent on the feds winning.

10. trying2b-amused
    trying2b-amused August 29, 2017 11:53 am

There are two types of people (I use the word loosely) screeching about the “problems” with petroleum fuelled vehicles. Useful idiots with a solution in search of a problem, and those using the idiots to further their agenda of totalitarian collectivization, a major impediment to which is the individual autonomy engendered by personal vehicles.

Claire August 29, 2017 1:08 pm

“hel – Spence did a great job. Lawyer David Nevin – who represented Kevin Harris – had a much greater challenge. Happily, the federal judge in that case was not hellbent on the feds winning.”

This is true. I was there for part of the trial and I swear, watching Gerry Spence was like watching some brilliant TV lawyer. David Nevin was less flashy and tricksy, but very smart & knew his history. A lot of people perceived that Judge Lodge was pro-prosecution. If he started out that way (and I’m not sure he did), the FBI and the prosecution team in general, with all their wrongdoings, made it harder and harder for him to take their part. By the end, although he continued only to slap the prosecution’s wrist, he was clearly fed up with federal shenanigans.

12. Jim Bovard
    Jim Bovard August 29, 2017 1:19 pm

Neat! I had forgotten that you were front and center for much of that trial. You had a front row seat for one of the greatest civil rights trials in American history.

13. Desertrat
    Desertrat August 29, 2017 9:08 pm

Mr. Bovard’s essay leads me to wonder whether Antifa is standing in loco parentis for the federal government.

Hydrogen as a fuel has the same problem as alcohol. It takes more energy to make it than it has in it. And there’s no such thing as long-term storage of hydrogen, since it’s the smallest molecule there is. Seeps through the walls of any container.

If there just absolutely has to be some government policy about what people drive, have it based on the weight and cost of non-commercial vehicles. But stay away from mandating propulsion systems. E.g., some sort of tax break based on gas mileage, lighter weight and lower cost. Give people a reason to change out from lead-sleds. (I note that government ideas have taken us from the 1,500-pound Lotus Elan to the similarly-sized 2,500-pound Mazda Miata. “Safety.”)

14. Antibubba
    Antibubba August 29, 2017 10:57 pm

I’m glad that Budweiser is canning drinking water for crisis victims. I’m also glad they’ve labelled them differently so beer drinkers can tell the difference.

15. Fred
    Fred August 30, 2017 12:49 am

Amazon is my absolute last choice.You dont get fast shipping with Prime…instead you get punished with delayed shipping if you wont give Bezos his 6.2 BILLION a year in prime fee’s.

Now whole food is going to have special prices for Prime members.

Bezos thinks only the elites that have been anointed by him (for a fee) can have good shopping deals.And Im John Q Public,a lot of folks are just like me having that response to Bezo’s.

Kindles are nothing but ad platforms.Bezos can stick it.

16. Fred
    Fred August 30, 2017 12:56 am

We are going to switch to electric cars.The oil era is over,the electric era is taking its place.We will have fast charging long lived batteries,they will be competitively priced too.Technology is going to happen,cant stop it.

Whether its market force or gov mandates,electric cars ARE coming.

Interesting,in the top Manufacturers class for Formula race cars,they are hybrids.Some are electric generators powered by gas or diesel,turning electric propulsion motors,just like locomotives.No petrol engine drivetrains at all.They are the fastest cars out there at the 24 hours of LeMans.

Claire August 30, 2017 4:53 am

Well, Fred, to each his own. But I consider two days to be extremely fast shipping, especially here in the boonies. Occasionally I’ll even order something on a Sunday afternoon and find it waiting at the PO by Monday. Which, given where I live, is nearly miraculous.

I’ve been both a Prime member (gift) and a non-Prime member and I never, ever found the non-Prime shipping times to be punitive.

$99 a year hardly places a person among “the anointed.” But if I had a Whole Foods anywhere near me, I’d be rushing right on over.

My Prime membership runs out in less than two weeks and I’m not sure I’ll renew it just because it is a lot of money for me and it might be better put into house projects. But that $99 gives a grand value.

Claire August 30, 2017 4:56 am

RV — Yup, that’s what I think of when I think “hydrogen,” too. Well, that and the great, big flaming ball of sun. Neither is a particularly encouraging image. OTOH, the stuff does burn clean and the Hindenberg didn’t have the benefit of fuel-cell technology.

19. Fred
    Fred August 31, 2017 10:46 pm

Im constantly getting 2-3 day shipping on ebay without being a ‘prime member’.A lot,as much as you get with prime choices,not all amazon is offered thru prime……not all ebay is 2-3 days,but a LOT is.

Or on amazon ordering Amazon LLC or whatever it is,and warehouse 30 miles from my house taking 2 weeks.Thats right,2 weeks.I can order 30 miles from home on ebay and have delivery the next day!

remember dial phones,then along came pushbutton and they cost a couple bucks a month more? And lots refused to pay it.Phone company finally had to make pushbutton free because it cost them more keeping the dial phone equipment running.Tried to punish you in inferior service if you wouldnt pay for their ‘prime’ service.

Same story with Amazon,everyone can get 2-3 day shipping(see ebay above),but Amazon punishes you if you dont pay his premium.In his case,Im not losing out on ‘prime’ service,he is losing out on a customer.

I was a big Amazon fan,right up until prime came along and suddenly my shipping speed dropped thru the floor.And they went from first to last in my book then and there.

And Im a big internet shopper,Have been for a long long time now.I saw amazon radically increase my delivery times.And a screw you attitude from Bezos.Watch him do the same to whole paycheck,It isnt about groceries you know,its about having a brick and mortar presence to compete against Wally’s everywhere availability.

20. Fred
    Fred August 31, 2017 11:16 pm

Im convinced most billionaires are psychopaths,sociopaths and narcissists to some degree,they seem to have those traits IMO.Some hide it better than others,bezos is wearing his personality traits on his shoulder,and proud of it IMO.Or is a huge failure at hiding it.

21. John
    John September 1, 2017 3:21 pm

Hi Fred,

Isn’t it nice to have choices? Have you given much thought to the challenges of moving stuff from one place on the planet to another? Know the best way to defeat armies and navies? Well, you break their logistics chain.

In the marketplace, this is discouraged. So, the win goes to the team that can best manage getting product to customer as efficiently as possible. That doesn’t always mean fastest because those who plan will sacrifice speed for better price. Some want it now and will pay for that.

No need to hate. Cultivate what gives you what you want to exchange for. Leave other players to sort out what works within the models they elect to engage.

Failure is an option too. If we don’t die therefrom, we can try another option.
    🙂