R.I.P., Jerry Pournelle

Borepatch, who met him, has a remembrance. My ex-Significant Sweetie, Charles Curley, also knew and spoke highly of him (and made a brief appearance in one of his books).

I was never a fan of either Larry Niven or Jerry Pournelle as solo authors, but together they wrote classic SF. He was a brilliant man, much respected. R.I.P., Dr. Pournelle.

1. parabarbarian
    parabarbarian September 8, 2017 10:45 pm

Well Crap! I knew he was in poor health but I guess I figured he’d hang on a while more.

Ave atque vale.

2. chad
    chad September 8, 2017 11:58 pm

Niven and Pournelle were my favorite collaborators for many years. He will be missed.
    RIP Jerry

Joel September 9, 2017 8:36 am

Yeah, I was sad to hear of it this morning, even though other than the collaborations with Niven he wasn’t my favorite fiction writer. I did enjoy his blog from time to time.

4. MJR
    MJR September 9, 2017 3:06 pm

This is very sad news for me, I’m a big fan and had read just about everything he wrote . My favorites were the books he set in the Falkenberg’s Legion universe. His coauthored books with Larry Niven were really good and really enjoyable. He will be missed.

5. larryarnold
    larryarnold September 9, 2017 5:49 pm

[Taps]
    [Salute]

Now I have some books to reread.

6. Desertrat
    Desertrat September 9, 2017 11:08 pm

I reread his books halfway regularly. I’ve always enjoyed the Falkenberg stories. My petty self-interest regret is that he didn’t finish #4 in the Janissary series.

7. DistOne
    DistOne September 10, 2017 10:10 am

Jerry Pournelle was one of my favorite writers, not necessarily the best of them, but truly entertaining. His columns for Byte magazine, when we first learned to love Chaos Manor, helped me get through my own struggles with early personal computers. A lovely tribute by Sarah Hoyt is over at PJ Media:

Jerry, I never met you in this life, but I still hope to on the other side.