A little hurricane and Equifax post-op today, but with so much of the Gulf Coast and now Florida a gigantic mess, and with this being The Dreaded Anniversary once again — not to mention it being a Monday — let’s otherwise keep things on the lite side.
- A requiem for Florida, the paradise that never should have been. (Interesting history despite the overwrought title.)
- Tesla’s “kind” but oh-so-creepy gesture to its car owners in Irma’s path.
- And in all this, let us not forget Harvey. It is still terrible in many parts of coastal east Texas.
- Kristen Bell gains more hurricane cred.
- Krebs on Security on some of the lesser-known aspects of the Equifax dumpster fire. And via the great Wendy McElroy, alleged hackers demand ransom. Alleged remains the operative word here; we can only hope the real hackers, whoever they may be, would ask so little to keep our data safer than Equifax kept it.
- Soldier in Afghanistan commemorates 9/11 by giving $100 bills to corrupt contractor.
- Sarah Hoyt’s loving tribute to her friend and colleague Jerry Pournelle. (Via DistOne in comments.) Glenn Harlan Reynolds extolls the hope (and the facts) Pournelle gave a 1970s kid.
- Plenty of other things also happened on this day, including William Wallace defeating a “mighty British army” at the Battle of Stirling Bridge.
- Man and his dog: twins. Yeah, this dog dress-up stuff can be grating. But damn, these two really do look alike. And for you cat people …
- Six “paranormal” events whose real causes were even weirder.
- And and just for sheer sillies (and for you pun fans) …
Finally, here’s a delightful short video about a boy and the dog he rejects.