You load 3.34 tons and whadda ya get?

Tired. Sore. And whacked out to the point your where muscles start quivering. That’s what you get if you’re me and not some muscular 20-year-old guy who works on construction sites all day.

Three-point-three-four tons. That’s the weight of 2.2+ yards of 7/8-inch concrete aggregate rock (which I’m not using for concrete aggregate, but as the base of the patio/cure for drainage problems). I still have a bit more of that to move, which is why no pix yet.

But the guy with the handy-dandy mini-dump truck also hauled out a load of 3/4-minus driveway rock. With the driveway rock he did that trick where they dump the gravel slowly while driving along. I love it when they do that. Still, there were spots where he purposefully or accidentally left a heap for me to shovel.

So I’m figuring I moved 3.34 tons today. Or something like that. You can round it off to 3.5 tons if you like. Or round it down to 3.0 if you want to view me as a wimp.

Pretty good day’s work for a mere girl, I’m thinkin’.

Joel September 12, 2017 3:26 pm

St. Peter doncha call her ’cause she can’t go

She’s gotta sit on that new screen porch, have a bloody mary, and look at her triumph!

Still want pics.

2. david
    david September 12, 2017 3:44 pm

Girls Rock! (Pun not intended)

3. DeLaune
    DeLaune September 12, 2017 3:54 pm

Sounds a little like my day. I demolished 88 feet of stockade fence and sawed it into manageable pieces. With an 18 inch hand saw. Still no power in Largo.
    Unfortunately for me, I learned another lesson.

Claire September 12, 2017 5:08 pm

Joel and david — 🙂 And Joel, even if your song doesn’t rhyme, I like it a lot better than the original.

DeLaune — 88 feet of fence cut up with a hand saw??? Holy cats! I think I’d have waited for power. I hope the new lesson you learned was “never do that again.”

5. brew
    brew September 12, 2017 5:39 pm

jeepers… I did it when I was a 20-year-old guy who works on construction sites all day and it was only a couple of tons and it darn near killed me…

Hats off to ya there kiddo….

Claire September 13, 2017 6:20 am

RV — Thanks!

brew — If I’d had to move even a few shovelsful on someone else’s construction site, I’d have been oh-poor-me-ing like crazy, and moaning afterwards about all the hard work. Yesterday I was highly motivated.

Too, shoveling the rock was a lot easier than, say, moving all that clay soil last week, which probably weighed about the same, but had to be dug out and chopped up (the Monk did most of that work, while I raked and oh-poor-me-ed). With the gravel it was nice that I’d just poke the shovel into the pile, rocks would fall down onto it, and I could toss or carry it where I wanted it to go.

7. laird
    laird September 13, 2017 10:29 am

I’m going to give you credit for a full 5 tons!

Claire September 13, 2017 11:08 am

LOL! Next thing you know, I’ll be singing that song and meaning it, Um … thanks, Laird.

This morning I’m doing something theoretically much easier: stapling a vapor barrier to the ceiling of the screen porch. But easy though it may be, it’s definitely a two-person job and my helper failed to show yesterday. So I’m handling the floppy rolls of plastic on my own today, trying to get the edges straight, and cussing like I never cussed while moving all that rock.

9. DeLaune
    DeLaune September 14, 2017 9:07 am

Some jobs go four times faster with two people. I feel for you.
    Actually, the lesson I learned was the exact opposite: “spend more time with hand tools before disaster strikes.”
    Still no power. Anyone heard from Chad?

Claire September 14, 2017 9:22 am

I was just thinking about you and Chad this morning, worried you might have both lost cell service or cellphone power as well as electric service. Nope, no word from Chad yet.

Actually, I enjoyed hauling all that rock, to the point where I’d have refused help if it was offered. (Not my usual attitude toward hard physical labor!) I was doing that work out of joy — which I imagine you were really not feeling while chopping up that fence.

11. DeLaune
    DeLaune September 14, 2017 9:29 am

I meant the vapor barrier job.

Claire September 14, 2017 10:07 am

Oh. Yeah, that was definitely a job that would have been four times easier with two people.

Pat September 14, 2017 10:08 am

I haven’t heard from my friend in Ocala either. Neither hers nor her husband’s cell phone is reachable.

Claire September 14, 2017 10:33 am

Damn. Thank for posting about her, Pat. Let us know when she’s able to get in touch.