Midweek links

1. rochester_veteran
    rochester_veteran September 20, 2017 2:43 am

My uncle was a master accordion player and I was fascinated by it, so he bought me a smaller child’s accordion and got me lessons with a music teacher named Professor Faga, who was also a conductor. This was when I was 5-6 years old. The thing was, Professor Faga scared the crap out of me and I didn’t do very well as a result and that ended any chanced of me starring in a polka band! 🙂 I still have the accordion and it’s stored away in a closet.

Later on in my childhood, I took piano lessons at school and also played percussion in the school band. This was when I was 11-12 years old. Although I liked being a percussionist, I was not meant to be a pianist.

Did those music lessons make me a better decision maker? I did make some good decisions such as marrying my wife, but I also made some bad decisions such as buying a house in a neighborhood in the city that was questionable and ended up becoming drug and gang infested and I had to let the house get repossessed by the bank because I couldn’t sell it for what I owed because the neighborhood got so bad. So the jury is out on this research as far as I’m concerned.

MamaLiberty September 20, 2017 6:29 am

Can’t speak to how much music lessons affected my decision making, since I’ve made a LOT of both bad and good ones. 🙂 I took piano lessons when I was about 6 or 7… and after only a few the teacher told my mother that my fingers were just too short to be worth the effort. I had to agree. Then, in 7th grade, I joined a choir and studied voice for several years after that. Never was all that good, but I enjoyed it.

Now my hearing is so bad, even with the hearing aids, that I don’t even try to listen to music anymore. It all sounds fuzzy and distorted. And, of course, I can’t sing anymore either. Such is life.

3. larryarnold
    larryarnold September 20, 2017 9:41 am

Mom signed me up for organ lessons starting about when I was 10. Not a very handy instrument to play, except in large churches.
    Still, music did me a world of good. In junior high I discovered that taking choir meant I could skip P.E., and I sucked at P.E. Singing turned out to be fun, and I’ve been in choirs ever since.
    But I’m thinking Boy Scouts and having an Army officer for a father did more for decision-making skills.

We can only hope it will be the final straw to give the real progressive wing of the Democratic Party, that led by supporters of Senators Bernie Sanders and Elizabeth Warren, a groundswell of support from the bench sitters.
    Because they will never charge big bucks for a speech. Right? Right?

The Juggalo thing is same song, another verse.
    I remember when it was OMG, My kids are listening to ROCK ‘N ROLL!! “If you play the record backwards you can hear the voice of Satan!
    Before that it was Jazz!
    And somewhat earlier, dancing the Waltz was a scandal.
    The difference is that today the pecksniffs have the technology to be pervasive.

“The Florida law was not passed to protect energy companies. It was to keep poor people from living in the dark.” Sez so onna label.
    That noted, the idea that a solar-powered home would have power after a hurricane presumes that the solar panels don’t get smashed or blown away.

“People who bought the cat carrier also purchased oven mitts and Band-Aids.”

obsolescence at twice the speed
    [sigh] Remember when we went through learning curves with our tech, instead of living in them?

4. StevefromMA
    StevefromMA September 20, 2017 9:58 am

Well, after a month of classical guitar at seven, despite being a poor kid, I looked at my beat up fingers and decided to give up guitar. So music helped me make a decision.

I did pick up steel string guitar watching a college roommate 20 years later. Never got good.

5. Cindy
    Cindy September 20, 2017 11:35 am

Claire – It’s true. We’re not allowed to be off the grid in Florida. My husband and I put in a $25,000 solar panel system for our country property. We have no electric bill… but we must sell our power to the local utility, then buy it back at 3 times the amount they paid us for it. Even worse, we were given a number by the local utility before we made our decision to invest such a large sum. We weighed the pay back and cost benefit from this number. Just a few months after installation, the power company unilaterally changed the deal ( just like credit card companies). We now are paid less for selling our power, and pay more to buy it back.

Claire September 20, 2017 11:47 am

Cindy — The more I hear about this business, the more outrageous it sounds.

But! Not to worry! The government will protect you from those eeeeeeevil corporations! Yeah …

7. Cindy
    Cindy September 20, 2017 12:50 pm

According to the guy who installed the system, New Jersey is the most solar friendly state. Florida, the “Sunshine State”, one of the worse. We are looking into the possibility of putting a few batteries in, to bank some of our solar power, in order to power essential things in our home when the power goes out… because, you see, when the power company goes dark, so do we. ( I’m not sure if this is even”allowed”!) The problem in Florida is the heat and humidity, which destroys batteries. All the way around, the bureaucracy is determined to screw us.

8. Ron Johnson
    Ron Johnson September 20, 2017 4:07 pm

If Wall Street values Obama at $400,000 per speech, you can bet there is a calculated payoff in the future. They don’t pay that kind of money unless they expect a healthy return on their investment. Based on that, I’d say we’re in for round 2 of Obama et al.

9. deLaune
    deLaune September 21, 2017 10:51 am

Solar is legal in Florida if you have no connection to the grid. If you are connected, you may not use solar power when the grid is down.
    In fact, you are required to have a switch that disconnects your solar panels. And power company employees may enter your property and padlock the switch (in the off position) at will.

Claire September 21, 2017 11:41 am

Amazing, deLaune. Sounds as if Florida politics and business practices haven’t gotten much more honest since the days of swampland sales.

11. R. L. Wurdack
    R. L. Wurdack September 22, 2017 2:25 pm

Must be for the greater good.

12. fred
    fred September 23, 2017 1:20 pm

They pay the bribe money after they leave office,and its IN YOUR FACE bribe money.WHY arent they imprisoned?????????

13. bud
    bud September 23, 2017 6:13 pm

There’s a reason that your solar panels must be disconnected. It’s called backfeed. That transformer on the pole that takes 22kV in and puts out the 220 your house (and every other house in the neighborhood runs on also works in the other direction, so that your not disconnected solar system would be putting 220 into it which sends 22000 volts down the line to make life interesting for the utility workers trying to get power connected.

The locks are to make damn sure that some idiot doesn’t throw the switch and electrocute a lineman.

Most systems don’t have locks, though. There are all sorts of ways to insure against this problem, but the cheapest is to use a synchronising inverter that won’t run without input from the power company. This is why most solar doesn’t work during power outages.

Claire September 23, 2017 6:43 pm

Thank you for that explanation, bud. Silver (who also knows his power systems) has been saying much the same thing over at the Cabal.

Seems the bottom line is that Florida may have some idiotically politicized laws on solar, but some of them are genuinely for safety.