For this they won a million bux???

Yup. A million buck prize for a “smart” holster that … get this:

• Has a battery that lasts half a day if you draw your gun six times (and a maximum of 3.5 days if you never draw your gun at all), making practice sessions sooooo quick and easy;
  • Also relies on fingerprint ID (with all the usual fallabilities that implies);
  • And voice ID (ditto);
  • ANNNNND an RFID reader (ditto);
  • And — ta da! — puts a bar through the trigger guard. For your safety.

Man. Rube Goldberg probably wishes he were still alive. He’d be a multiple gazillionaire now.

1. Bear
    Bear September 21, 2017 11:38 am

Open the holster, HAL.

I’m sorry, Dave, I can’t do that.

And after all the silly electronic stuff, there’s a mechanical override so anyone can get it out anyway, which I’d think defeats much of the stated purpose.

But unless that holster is carefully customized to fit the gun EXACTLY, that bar in the trigger guard is going to cause a lot of leg shots.

Hmm. Fingerprint readers have already been duped with gelatin. I’m guessing that the voice ID is actually voice _recognition_ and you — or the other 199 authorized users — chant a PIN. That won’t be easy to beat (“Alexa, go to burgerking.com”).

Claire September 21, 2017 11:43 am

“Open the holster, HAL.

I’m sorry, Dave, I can’t do that.”

Nailed it. Absofreakinlootly nailed it, Bear.

And wasn’t there just a news story this morning that a parrot in Australia placed an Amazon order by triggering Alexa by voice?

Pat September 21, 2017 11:44 am

Who’s going to buy it – milquetoast liberals? Neither legitimate gun-owners nor criminals would want the thing.

4. Laird
    Laird September 21, 2017 11:44 am

“Smart Gun Design Competition funded by Borough President Eric Adams.”

Somehow, I very much doubt that it was his own money he was spending here.

5. larryarnold
    larryarnold September 21, 2017 12:13 pm

“The holster can be tailored for every gun available in the market,” Raj Kumar told the Brooklyn Eagle.

Kumar must not be very familiar with the U.S. handgun market. I don’t see how it will even fit the different handguns I own. And it doesn’t look very concealable at all. If this is the best they can come up with, I shudder to think how practical the runners-up were.

So far no word has come in on the design from gun manufacturers on the idea.

As in, “Guess who they didn’t even make any effort to consult with.”

6. deLaune
    deLaune September 21, 2017 12:32 pm

Claire, I’ve written up my Hurricane essay. If you’re interested, send me an email.

7. Bear
    Bear September 21, 2017 12:35 pm

Claire, shopping parrot?

I liked the news reports about TV triggering Alexa orders themselves triggering Alexa orders.

Claire September 21, 2017 12:44 pm

Email sent deLaune. Very much looking forward to your writeup.

And Bear, thanks for finding the shopping parrot. The other bit makes me dizzy …

9. kentmcmanigal
    kentmcmanigal September 21, 2017 2:21 pm

I am totally in favor of this holster being required for ALL on-duty cops– and any cops caught using anything else being fired and barred from being a cop anywhere ever again. (A sign of ill-intent on their part, you know.)
    Me, I’ll keep my homemade leather gun holders.

10. larryarnold
    larryarnold September 21, 2017 10:13 pm

You too, Kent? The ones I make are nothing fancy. They just keep the gun where I want it and protect the trigger and safety.

MamaLiberty September 22, 2017 3:31 am

Saw that incredible excuse for a holster at TTAG. What a sick joke, but so typical of the nanny state gun grabbers.

12. Len Savage
    Len Savage September 22, 2017 5:25 am

I sure hope the photos are wrong in that article…..Sure looks like a hard sharp strike to the rear of the firearm will cause the locking bar to fire the pistol…..Right through the LiPo battery pack that is placed in front of the muzzle….While it is on somebody’s hip.

If the bullet don’t get you, the punctured LiPo battery fire will.

I would think it should be easy enough to test if they dare…..

Claire September 22, 2017 7:03 am

Whoopsie.

I’d realized about the possible shot to the leg, but hadn’t considered said shot lighting up the battery!

Testing. I wonder if anybody, at any point, has actually tested this monstrosity under anything like realistic circumstances — let alone tested it for all its many potentially catastrophic failures.

14. MJR
    MJR September 22, 2017 11:27 am

Another case of trying to replace something that works with something that looks cool. I suspect not one of the design team has ever had to carry a firearm in a life/death situation. I’d also give the odds of this being adopted anywhere at about the same as having the winning number for the PowerBall lottery.

15. larryarnold
    larryarnold September 22, 2017 2:13 pm

let alone tested it for all its many potentially catastrophic failures

I’m just guessing here, but Ill bet “failure to release the firearm when the owner desperately needed it” won’t be listed as a “catastrophe.”

16. david
    david September 24, 2017 4:00 pm

Well, after reading all the comments, I find the one I was intending to make is pretty much represented here. So now I need to make another.

The first thing I though of when I read “RFID” is how the ‘smart guns’ could be disabled by a remote command and make the gun useless. I expect this was just a way to try to put that same ‘disable’ capability into service for any gun.

And I agree with Laird – what honest retired cop would have a million bucks to throw at a joke like this? Heck, even a dirty cop wouldn’t have that to pony up. Since it’s a NYC cop, I’m guessing it’s all Bloomberg Bux.