I suspect there’s a story here …

Seen around town:

It was posted on a stop sign on an obscure side street, but visible from a main road. I have no idea what it’s about. However, A Revealing Clew was on an adjacent fence post: a sign announcing the location of somebody’s wedding reception.

Perhaps the new Mrs. Hendrickson (who neither hunts nor fishes nor camps?) jilted an outdoorsy boyfriend. Perhaps Mr. Hendrickson (who neither hunts nor fishes nor camps?) stole the girlfriend of an outdoorsy buddy. We’ll never know. But wouldn’t you love to?

Seen around my yard:

A few of the neighbors’ chickens and their bossy rooster. They spend more time in my yard than they do at home. Which is fine. I occasionally get fresh eggs out of the deal. They’re probably good for the lawn, anyhow.

That rooster crows all day long. Doesn’t particularly bother me, but it drives Ava and The Wandering Monk mad.

Just testing one of the new blog cameras. The birds were in shade while I was in sun. Took several tries to get a shot that wasn’t either overexposed or too dark. Not saying this one’s great, exactly. It’s a learning curve.

1. ellendra
    ellendra October 10, 2017 2:21 pm

Cool chickies!

2. david
    david October 10, 2017 3:33 pm

I’m sure there is a story there, and I think you’ve hit on two versions. I’d go with ‘redneck’ guy jilted by
    GF for a Gucci wearing, stay at the hotel and swim in the pool by the ocean kind of guy. Why not, it did happen to me, once, back in the last century, long ago and far away.

3. Shel
    Shel October 10, 2017 6:58 pm

Perhaps one of the lovebirds is somebody’s ex, and that somebody may know them a lot better than their future spouse. Takes me to Confederate Railroad. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=3eAEAGxC6H4

I like the picture. Ken Rockwell, who has an independent site on camera matters, says that if one wants to take good pictures, one should study art, which you already do. Ansley Adams, the famous landscape photographer, said there’s nothing worse than a clear picture of a fuzzy idea.

I’m all but sure you could download an owner’s manual for each camera. They likely each have a way for you to choose both the part of the frame for focus and a part for getting the correct exposure for the amount of brightness in the chosen frame part.

Some friends had a few chickens and a rooster. One thing I cleverly observed was that courtship seemed relatively brief.

I initially tried to post this using Firefox on a MacBook. Nothing below “Website” was displayed, including the “Post Comment” button. I’m sending this on an iPad using Firefox with no problems.

4. larryarnold
    larryarnold October 10, 2017 9:40 pm

A common question in workshops for new writers is, “Where do you find ideas?”

They’re everywhere.

Nothing below “Website” was displayed,

We’ve been seeing that. The “Leave a Reply” form is in a frame of some kind that’s hiding the bottom if you write a long post.

You can “Tab” down through the fields to “Submit.”

Joel October 11, 2017 1:04 pm

I love the sight of mossy logs.

People should keep their chickens at home, though. And most heavily-populated areas don’t even allow cock birds for (I can’t actually believe I’m saying this) pretty darned good reason. I’ve had a few and they routinely drove me crazy. I’d have fully understood neighbor complaints. If, you know, I had neighbors within earshot.

Claire October 11, 2017 1:21 pm

“People should keep their chickens at home, though.”

They tried, Joel. They really did. They built them a chicken house that would rent for $1,200 a month if it were in San Francisco. And a nice fenced yard, which is in turn inside a much bigger fenced yard. And those birds got out every day anyhow.

It became so comical with neighbor kids trying to chase the chickens home and non-chicken neighbors trying to chase the chickens home that the two of us most affected finally just said, “Look, we don’t care if they’re over here. We’re only worried they might get grabbed by something.”

But the birds are locked in their little palace from dusk until 8:00 or 9:00 a.m. One does disappear now and then, but otherwise the situation’s okay. The rooster may crow all DAY, but not all NIGHT. And that’s the big thing.

7. coloradohermit
    coloradohermit October 11, 2017 5:22 pm

It doesn’t get much better than free eggs without the custodial hassles.

Claire October 11, 2017 6:24 pm

And a great big amen to that, coloradohermit. I even kind of like the chickens wandering around the yard. Ava finds them very entertaining (even as it makes her crazy not to be able to get at them on the other side of her dog fence).

Nice to see you here again. Haven’t seen you commenting for a while.