Okay, I managed to create that Patreon account

I tell ya, it wasn’t easy. Only one of my four browsers would allow me to set up the account — and the one that FINALLY allowed me to perform a full account setup won’t actually let me look at my own page. (Browser security; sometimes it’s a nuisance.)

The browser that most adamantly refused to let me do the account setup lets me look at my page just fine. Go figure.

Anyhow … here’s my new Patreon page.

To subscribe, you need to have a Patreon account (which doesn’t appear to require anything too onerous or privacy-wrecking), and then set up your monthly subscription via either credit card or PayPal.

I set subscription tiers small: $1, $2, $5. Then I got wild and crazy and enabled a limited number of $10 and $20 monthly patrons. However, all I want and all I expect is small-scale subscriptions. For the moment I have no rewards to offer any “wild and crazy” subscribers.

I stress that the ONLY thing I’m trying to do is bring in $60 a month, regularly, to cover the basic costs of keeping this blog and Claire’s Cabal online. If a little more comes in, terrific; I’m happy. But I am NOT seeking donations and I am NOT looking to Patreon (or patrons) to become a big source of income.

If this effort goes well, maybe eventually I’ll add enticing rewards and higher tiers. But for now, this is a small effort toward a small goal. Let’s see how it goes.

Now … I’m also off to put the Patreon link AND the link to those Front Sight certificates (remember those?) into the sidebar.

Claire October 11, 2017 12:35 pm

Well, that was quick. Only half an hour and I’m already 1/10 of the way there. Thank you, SC and CY!

(The page is currently reporting 2 patrons and $5 a month. It’s actually $6 a month. Maybe it takes a while for the page to update, because I see the correct amount in my account.)

Pat October 11, 2017 1:03 pm

What’s with the “Check no. of bridges.. street signs” etc? That threw me off.

Claire October 11, 2017 1:07 pm

That’s just the new version of CAPTCHA, Pat. It’s to prove you’re not a robot.

I hate and double hate it, but it’s apparently an “improvement” on the old method of typing in the wavy, distorted letters and numbers they show you.

I don’t know why it is, but with the new method I often have to go through screen after screen before they finally let me in. I think it has to do with whether “click all with street signs” means just the sign part or also the supports for the signs, etc. It’s stupid and confusing and naturally it’s also F*^%$#ing Google.

It’s a nuisance. And with Patreon, it may only be happening to you because you’re using a proxy or a VPN. That makes them suspect you’re a ‘bot.

Claire October 11, 2017 3:04 pm

5 patrons, $30 a month — already halfway there! (Again, the Patreon page is reporting wrong; it’s saying 5 patrons, $27 which would still be pretty good. But apparently Patreon can’t count.) Thank you, P, T, and J!

5. jed
    jed October 11, 2017 4:52 pm

Google’s reCAPTCHA gives me fits all the time. To the point where I just don’t comment on any blogspot blogs at all, unless there’s some really compelling reason. I’ve wondered whether they’re feeding those results into some machine learning gizzie that works on labeling images from Streetview, or works in self-driving cars. I haven’t tried the Patron usage, but the “I’m not a robot” thing happens to me, and I’m not on a VPN or proxy.

6. Shel
    Shel October 11, 2017 5:33 pm

I’ll get to it. Wish there were four dog eyes in the picture instead of one.

Claire October 11, 2017 5:37 pm

Shel — I let Patreon crop that photo. Not good. Once I have some small idea what I’m doing, I’ll crop it myself and re-upload it again, assuming they’ll let me.

But tomorrow on the blog you’ll see four dog eyes — two of them from that photo.

Claire October 11, 2017 6:21 pm

There. Fixed it.

9. ellendra
    ellendra October 11, 2017 8:01 pm

ReChaptcha needs to DIE!!!!!!!! It always takes multiple tries to get past, even with photos that I’m 100% certain I’ve clicked the right boxes.

(What do you mean “select all matching images”? I clicked all the roads. I’m looking at pictures of greenery here, there are NO MORE FRICKIN ROADS!!!!!)

….Ok, I feel better now 🙂

What’s worse, I remember these same tests 8 years ago when they were Mechanical Turk assignments. They put these past hundreds of real people, and still decided it was a good test!

MamaLiberty October 12, 2017 6:32 am

“But apparently Patreon can’t count.”

I was thinking about this last night and wondered if Patreon is skimming, or has a fee for each transaction. I would not think this was unreasonable, except that it has not even been mentioned anywhere I could see. How much does it cost to donate via Patreon? How can we find out? I’d a lot rather just send the lump sum once a year than pay them anything myself.

11. kentmcmanigal
    kentmcmanigal October 12, 2017 6:53 am

Yes, Patreon charges a percentage. It’s not too bad for what it does. I have pledges equaling $60 per month, and actually get $54.81 (which used to be 3 cents higher for some unknown reason). So you might want to raise your goal by a little to cover that.

Claire October 12, 2017 7:25 am

Ah. Thanks, Kent. I was going to look that up (eventually). I knew they had to take something, but I hadn’t yet figured how much it would be (or whether their apparent miscounting was involved).

I like what Patreon does, but I noticed right away that it tends to substitute bunch of happy talk for actual facts about how it works.

Claire October 12, 2017 7:29 am

Thank you K, K, and M for pitching in. (I’ll send personal notes later; today I’m a little overwhelmed (though with good activities)).