Weekend links

1. Jim Brook
    Jim Brook October 14, 2017 9:24 pm

I tried to leave a comment for Clayton Cramer, but could not get past the submit comment button. If anybody can figure out how to do it, this is what I tried to leave. You can copy and paste it.
    My thoughts on the right to keep and bear arms, in the context of firearm murders in the U.S., are as follows: As near as I can tell by FBI data, there have been about 720,000 murders by private criminals using firearms in the U.S. in the twentieth century. Professor R.J. Rummel makes the case in his book Death by Government that there have been about 200 million people killed by their governments worldwide in the twentieth century, not including wars, but just governments killing their own people. Thus, if the U.S. had kept pace with the rest of the world, having about 5% of the world’s population, we could have expected about 10 million Americans to have been killed by the U.S. government in the twentieth century. That is a 14:1 ration of deaths by government to firearm murders by private citizens. What sets us apart from the dozens of other countries that have had mass killing of their own people? It is not because the U.S. is “too progressive” of a nation for such atrocities to take place. After all, Germany was a very “progressive” country in the early twentieth century. They even had socialized medicine under Otto von Bismarck in the late 19th century. It is because we have the right to keep and bear arms, which makes our government afraid to push us to such extremes. In other countries, mass genocides were preceded by disarmament of the target group. See the book Lethal Laws by Jay Simkin and Aaron Zelman for substantiation of that statement. It is critical for that right to not be infringed, or we will face very dangerous times. – Jim Brook

MamaLiberty October 15, 2017 3:39 am

The Harry Potter theme for adoption shelters is wonderful, and I hope the idea spreads. The “breed” doesn’t tell us much about an animal’s ultimate personality or tendencies, even with “purebred” dogs. And that’s even as puppies. Older dogs have been formed by their environment, often quite counter to “breed” expectations. Even if other shelters didn’t go all Harry Potter, I’m sure they can come up with a similar program to categorize their critters by personality and habits, rather than breed.

I don’t know about cats, but I would think it would be similar.

Pat October 15, 2017 5:02 am

I can only speak for cats re Siamese, I was introduced to them at a home-attached beauty shop years ago where the owner had four of them. They were in and out of the shop, “talked” when spoken to, and rubbed against chairs and people frequently; very friendly. If any customer objected, she would close them off in her house.

A couple of years later, an apartment neighbor had a Siamese, the couple had to take a business trip, and I agreed to cat-sit for them. In return they gave me a Siamese kitten (half-sister of their own cat) that I had for 14 years. Each cat was different in markings, voice, and personality, but all were characteristically Siamese; and I’ve met others that were the same. None I’ve ever known were the aloof, noisy, or unfriendly cats that followed their reputation.

4. Shel
    Shel October 15, 2017 6:13 am

Two of my all time favorite cats were male Siamese; in each case the owners also had a female about whom all I remember was that they were very skittish. The calmness of the males was a needed trait for temple guards back in the day.

The first, Bo, could be dressed up in a baby’s bonnet and gloves and placed on his back in my high school classmate’s younger sister’s lap. His front paws could be lifted from underneath; when the pressure was removed gravity would take them down again without any wrist or leg movement. Once, when we were playing cards on the floor, he decided to leap across everything. I saw it coming and placed my palm so his head would fly into it. He would make a remarkably pathetic meow when they would give him a bath (which of course he probably didn’t need). Later, when the girl got married, Bo took a dump on her husband’s bare foot in the bathroom. Their son said that the father didn’t like anything smarter than him; her comment to me was “I didn’t teach him that.” I last saw Bo when he was vary old and frail with some serious cataracts. I’m glad I did.

Marvin once jumped from the floor to my shoulder while I was standing. It startled me, of course. Another time, while I was now watching for it, he tried again. I twirled to make this move not work. He ended up on my thigh hanging on a pair of double knit pants. Remarkable, he neither scratched me nor ripped the pants. After that I trusted him completely, but he didn’t trust me so much. I should have lifted him up and placed him on my shoulder to show him it was O.K. to go there.

And, of course, the classic (to me, anyway) Siamese depiction. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RG5mOd8Ubsk

Comrade X October 15, 2017 8:54 am

I always wondered who this guy Robinson was that kept trying to take out my friend (not) DeFazio when I would drive thru the 4th district of Oregon, now I wished he had been successful even more.

6. jed
    jed October 15, 2017 10:33 am

So where are the babes?

7. ellendra
    ellendra October 15, 2017 12:45 pm

“Given my lifestyle for the past several months, if frugal is sexy, I’m Humphrey Bogart, Cary Grant, and Jonathan Goldsmith all rolled up.”

I guess that makes me Hedy Lamarr :p

Comrade X October 15, 2017 3:29 pm

And I’m Clark Gable;

9. Black Ort
    Black Ort October 16, 2017 12:01 pm

Sadly the IRS contract is only suspended, not withdrawn. As soon as the news focuses on another giant breach they can conclude the review and say it is all safe. Palms have already been greased in some manner, after all.