A couple freedomista Patreon creators

Of my 19 new patrons, two of them — familiar faces — have Patreon creator pages of their own.

I was moved that creatives who are trying to raise money on Patreon themselves would step up for me.

So here’s a shout-out to those two, whose work you’ll enjoy:

Montana Homesteading is Kit Perez. You know her as the high-energy proprietor of The Patrick Henry Society and The Order of the White Rose.

She started her homesteading blog on Patreon early this summer, then almost immediately had to set it aside to deal with everything from wildfires to a new career. But she’s had time to get serious about raising chickens, and she just posted a long article titled “Should You Buy Hatching Eggs on eBay?” (The answer, for you serious chicken folks, is “Yes, but …”)

I get a kick out of her tier rewards, too. For $3 a month you can “Sponsor a chicken.”

KentForLiberty is another familiar face and deserving freedomista. You may also know him as Kent McManigal or Dull’Hawk (or dullhawk), long-time Living Freedom Commentariat member, creator of the famous (or is it infamous?) Dull’Hawk flag, and author of several books — which, BTW, he’s offering as rewards to subscribers, along with “Time’s Up” patches.

Kent keeps quite an active freedomista blog right there on Patreon, with posts that are open to the public and others exclusive to paid subscribers.

Both these friends of liberty are good people doing good work. Check ’em out, spread the word, and support them if you’re so inclined.

—-

I’m just beginning to explore Patreon. There are certainly many freedomistas on there that I’m not yet aware of, but I mention these two because what they’re doing is good, their work isn’t widely enough seen, and they pledged monthly support to me even while seeking pledges of their own.

Looking around at other freedomistas on Patreon who are being supported by my 19 patrons, I spotted cartoonist Scott Bieser of Quantum Vibe fame and my old neighbor Ian of Forgotten Weapons. Both these guys look like they’re deservedly doing well for themselves.

I avoided Patreon for a long time and it gave me fits when I finally tried to sign up. But it’s an amazingly cool thing that anyone can now be a patron of artists, musicians, writers, and others doing creative endeavors. You don’t have to be a millionaire or a prince or a pope. If you’ve got a credit card or a PayPal account and the means to put up $1 or $3 or $5 a month, you, too, can be a patron of the arts.

Comrade X October 17, 2017 8:24 am

Ok I’m going to think out loud but it seems to me if we had an umbrella Patron of the Arts/Activist Freedomistas Group that had done all of the PITA work to be TAX DEDUCTABLE there could be a lot more $$ available to the artist/activist involved.

I’s would much rather be making that kind of contribution than the one I have to do in April when there’s a gun to my head, methinks there are others like that too.

2. kentmcmanigal
    kentmcmanigal October 17, 2017 9:10 am

Thanks for the mention, Claire!
    I haven’t been pushing the Patreon account much in the past couple of years, and haven’t posted anything “Patron-only” in a long time. One bonus my Patreon patrons do get is that I always post my new videos on Patreon, while I don’t usually post them to my regular blog.

It is important to me to keep you writing.

3. larryarnold
    larryarnold October 17, 2017 9:19 am

that had done all of the PITA work to be TAX DEDUCTIBLE there could be a lot more $$ available to the artist/activist involved.

Not sure that’s possible. There are rather strict* limits on how much “activist” politicking tax-deductible organizations can participate in. That’s why the NRA has the Foundation set up as a 501(c)(3) tax deductible, but strictly not political arm; and the completely separate Institute for Legislative Action which is not deductible, but does the political heavy lifting.

For instance, when we run a Friends of NRA banquet we can’t even allow political candidates to be introduced.

* Not that the IRS would monitor some organizations closer than they would others, or anything.

Comrade X October 17, 2017 9:53 am

LA, don’t disagree but maybe when artist’s are activist’s there is a way to fund one while helping the other, something, since you brought it up, the NRA has been very successful at. BTW I’ve not been to a FNRA dinner yet where there won’t a politician or two, some places may run a stricter ship than others methinks.

We could always make being a Freedomistas a religion, just kidding but the artist part has real possibilities methinks. Of course there’s cost involved and time but the potential return could be worth the blood, sweat and tears in the end.

Like I said I’m only thinking out loud.

Claire October 17, 2017 4:14 pm

LOL, Kent. Thanks for the memories

6. firstdouglas
    firstdouglas October 18, 2017 9:24 am

Have a Little Freedom with Your Religion was rather pleasing; I will have to repost it elsewhere sometime, maybe this coming Christmas season.

Don’t remember seeing the article before, even though I -just know- I was aware of, and reading Wolfe’s Lodge ..maybe not that early. In fact I was just noticing all sorts of interesting looking writing back there.

Claire October 18, 2017 10:09 am

Wolfe’s Lodge was a great site, wasn’t it? Even now I find it beautiful (thanks to a designer who didn’t care to be publicly credited) and full of lively writing (thanks to many contributors, including the incomparable Patty Neill).

I confess that Thomas Ingersoll More who wrote the religion piece was … me. Except “he” claimed to weigh 175 pounds, outweighing me by about 50. šŸ™‚