Random ruminations

I was thinking about the Harvey Weinstein scandal (we should soon be thinking about something else, but this 15 minutes, it’s Weinstein). And realizing that as he’s off there in Europe or wherever he’s hiding for “therapy” and making all his weepy-eyed acts of contrition, he’s really just sitting there thinking, “Those disloyal bitches betrayed me.”

That’s the difference between a psychopath and the rest of us. That’s the guy who can’t ever learn that real relationships go two ways, and that other people exist as something more than props or discards on your way to power.

—–

I have this book from the library that I’m absolutely terrified to read.

Not because it’s filled with bad stuff. But because it’s so beautiful. It’s a coffee table art book, just published, and I know I’m the first patron to get my grubby hands on it because I requested the purchase; I tell you, I love this library.

Of course grubby hands might be the problem; I wash them but I don’t have those white museum gloves. Spills might be the problem. Flying dog hair. Setting down a wet glass. Knocking the book off the table and bending it. Merely cracking its spine feels sinful.

So I move it carefully around and barely wedge it open.

I’ll get over it. The book will get over it. But I sometimes wonder if anyone in the future will ever feel the reverence many of us feel for printed books.

—–

I just invited Ava up onto the couch. Ava, who is ever-eager to do anything I wish and always obeys with joy on the first command, has to be invited two or more times when it comes to the couch — especially if I have food. This evening, four times.

She’s like, “Can this really be true? Can this wondrous thing actually happen to me? Dare I believe I’m being called into the very heavens of the human realm? No. No, I must wait to be certain!”

And tonight she’s hoping for a piece of my warm, buttered pumpkin-maple bread. So she’s finally up on the couch, standing rigid, desperately, tremblingly not looking at me because that wouldn’t be polite in Ms Emily Pug’s Etiquette Book. But one corner of her eye is fixed on that plate of bread like a snake whose eyes are bored into its doomed prey.

—–

I got an idea for the RebelFire story this afternoon. It was sparked by something completely unexpected — and I’m not ready to go into detail, particularly because this might not be The One. Or because if it is The One, then you don’t want to know, right?

1. John
    John October 19, 2017 4:11 pm

I enjoy me some ruminations.
    I trust Ava liked the warm, buttered pumpkin-maple bread?

“Or because if it is The One, then you don’t want to know, right?”
    Yes, and no…

2. rochester_veteran
    rochester_veteran October 19, 2017 5:18 pm

My beloved K-ci wasn’t allowed on the furniture, but as he got older, he’d sneak up on my recliner in the middle of the night and I’d see him laying there comfortably and I acted like I didn’t see him there and he acted like I didn’t see him either! The last thing I wanted to do to him was roust him out of my recliner when he looked so comfortable. I loved my old boy!

3. Shel
    Shel October 19, 2017 7:13 pm

Random OT: on one of the Essential Craftsman videos (which are very good, he’s quite articulate) he recommends SkillCult for information on how to use an axe. The site is good for a lot more than that. http://skillcult.com/

4. kentmcmanigal
    kentmcmanigal October 19, 2017 7:29 pm

I saw a suggestion a couple of days ago by someone who was wishing there would be a Freedomista/agorist update to the Robin Hood story. That might fit in with the Rebel Fire universe.

5. larryarnold
    larryarnold October 19, 2017 9:00 pm

this 15 minutes, it’s Weinstein…

I’m thinking no one gets 15 minutes of fame any more. Today, it’s 1500 Google-clicks.

Story ideas always come when I least expect them.

the reverence many of us feel for printed books

6. John
    John October 19, 2017 11:17 pm

“the reverence many of us feel for printed books

We still feel reverence for oil paintings, and wood fires, and canoes, and flintlock rifles, and longbows, and cowboys and indians, and dinosaurs, and pipe organs, and the Renaissance, and wild honey, and …”

Not so bad getting older is it?
    Now if I can just get those kids to go play on that guys lawn…

MamaLiberty October 20, 2017 2:59 am

Re: reverence for printed books. Some of them, definitely. I have a collection of classics and others that belonged to my mother. And I’ve added to that collection myself considerably. But I sometimes go to the library (don’t I wish it was like yours, Claire) and look long at many books there. More and more I am not finding anything I want to read. Even things I used to enjoy seem insipid or outright ugly now. And the creeping intrusion of PC nonsense in the newer ones horrifies me.

It’s a serious disappointment when I don’t want to ready anything I already have. I solved that problem partially, a good number of years ago, by writing my own stories. 🙂

8. chad
    chad October 20, 2017 3:20 am

“But it’s funny how you can beat your brains out to get not much of nothin’. Then some creative notion comes at you sideways and flutters into your ear.”

My wife used to describe that as “let my gremlins work on it”.

9. Ron Johnson
    Ron Johnson October 20, 2017 4:10 am

Books. Wooden canoes. Cowboys and Indians. A couple years ago I added to that list paper letters sent through the Post Office. Inevitably the addressee responds with incredulous wonder…and sometimes a dead-tree reply.
    I’ve never gotten that response from a text message or an e-mail.

10. ellendra
    ellendra October 20, 2017 8:59 am

Shel: Thank you for that link! I’ve spent hours already perusing the articles. I love it!

Comrade X October 20, 2017 10:08 am

Shel, I liked that link too, thanks.

12. Shel
    Shel October 20, 2017 4:55 pm

Thanks for the feedback. I post those things trying to be helpful, but sometimes I wonder.

Ellendra, whatever happened to your friend’s honeymooners in the Caribbean? If you posted an update I missed it.

13. ellendra
    ellendra October 20, 2017 9:07 pm

They were able to get a ride to Puerto Rico, which at the time had escaped the worst of the hurricanes. They were back in Wisconsin before PR got hit.

As I understand it, they’re already looking at volunteer opportunities to help the islands rebuild. That’s just the kind of people they are. Even in the thick of it, they were helping other refugees.

14. Shel
    Shel October 20, 2017 9:23 pm

That’s great. It turned out to be a wonderful experience for them. And having been through Irma down there, they’ll definitely have “street cred” with the locals. I sometimes look around and think about how different it is now compared to after Irma here in Florida.

I’ll spend some time on that site, too; I just need to work my way past the haircut.

15. firstdouglas
    firstdouglas October 21, 2017 6:03 am

Yep, thanks, Shel, for haircut guy.

16. ExpatNJ
    ExpatNJ October 22, 2017 2:01 pm

Reply to Ron Johnson October 20, 2017 4:10 am [abridged]:

“Books. Wooden canoes. Cowboys and Indians … I added to that list paper letters sent through Post Office. Addressee responds with incredulous wonder and sometimes a dead-tree reply. I’ve never gotten that response from a text message or an e-mail.”

Unfortunately, legal correspondence MUST be sent in hard-copy paper-trail form. Texts/e-mails are not accepted as valid notification by courts because there is no absolute way to verify it was sent AND received. I use USPS [Postal Office] Certified/Return Receipt format regularly, although UPS [United Parcel Service] and FedEx are also considered valid providers of notification also.

I’ve gotten incredulous responses, but never a “dead-tree reply”; I don’t think the courts would accept that as a valid rejoinder …

MamaLiberty October 23, 2017 3:28 am

But isn’t it interesting that the government can and will use the most vague of voice and text messages, emails and posts in social media to persecute people for all sorts of imaginary “crimes.”